How to advance with shield wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

kingduskwolf

Recruit
Im not quite sure how to order my army to put of their shields when they charge or advance, for example when im raiding a forest bandit camp with like 40 bandits we get slaughtered before we can reach them because not of my infantry put put their shields, is there a specific command for this?

F1-F4 Advance keeps them in formation, even when they attack. F3 Charge is like a free for all, every man for himself. The formation works well when out numbered or evenly numbered, and when you start breaking the enemy down, F3 charge allows them all to gang up and overwhelm.

I miss the advance 10 paces of M&B Vikings. Felt like you had more control over the battle. Now I run around trying to place troops, while continuously dismounting every time I mouse click.

The F1 F2 or w/e advance 10 paces was better imo

The "Charge" command has your troops break formation and just go hell for leather at the enemy, what you want is the "advance" command which will keep them in formation (Like shield wall) and have them move forward together.

And yeah "advance 10 paces" was nice, you could creep up to an opposing army under cover of your shields before letting loose with yourjavelins and thengoing for the kill.

As others basically said, shieldwall is formation. When you tell your men to charge, you are telling them to disband their formation. Either tell your men to move close to the enemy after issuing shieldwall command and when in melee range, tell them to charge or as others said, use advance command. I would personally advice against it, if there are any units with throwing weapons in your shieldwall. They may try to skirmish untill they run out of ammo and not engage properly. Use that command for ranged units and skirmish cavalry.

The one problem I have is that after they advance, you can't get them back in shield wall formation.

F3-F2, F1-F4, F1-F6 .. and they don't go back to formation.
F1-F3, F1-F6, F3-F2 .. and they just stand there spread out all over

The one problem I have is that after they advance, you can't get them back in shield wall formation.

F3-F2, F1-F4, F1-F6 .. and they don't go back to formation.
F1-F3, F1-F6, F3-F2 .. and they just stand there spread out all over

"Advance" is not the same command as it was in Warband. In Bannerlord you are actually telling your units to engage enemy. If you just want to move your shieldwall forward, you need to F1-F1 on a spot where you want them to move.

Yes, the problem is I cannot macro that. I was trying to make macros to setup an initial formation with shield wall and archers. Have the foot soldiers move forward 5 seconds and then form a shield wall. Ahh well.

Back
Top Bottom