How much computer power would take to run M&B with Total War numbers?

Users who are viewing this thread

tansvanio

Sergeant Knight at Arms
The title says it all. How far are computers from running mount and blade with 20000 men in the same battlefield? What would be the specs? And your opinion on the subject.

Well, lets say with another engine. What would it take to pick up a total war battlefield and give each soldier individuality. Make every bit of the battlefield alive like in M&B

Impossible. I have i5-2380p 3,1GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM and Gigabyte GTX 670 (985-1058MHz) 2GB GDDR5 and I run battle with 400 soldiers on 35-40 FPS. Maxed out settings. If I set the lowest details and get a brand new top class gaming rig for ridiculous money, I could get much more soldiers, but it will be nowhere near TW numbers. My bet is approximately 1200-1400 soldiers.
But for that the game would need a new engine.

I presume the more men on the field the more the CPU is loaded.

Seeing as M&B only supports dual core (I think) impossible.

Adorno said:
It's mostly an AI problem. They start acting weird when you crank it up to 1000.

Don't they just stand in a line?

Just to give OP an estimation on my part, for just putting them on the field lag-free, I'd say 4 brand new computers, custom built so the optimalisation is the best you can get, and hook them up together.

I assume that map would need to be really huge for that number of soldiers, I don't know would that add up "extra burden" for PC though.

Adorno said:
It's mostly an AI problem. They start acting weird when you crank it up to 1000.

I've had 1000 running before when I was using my 580. Haven't tested it in a while but don't think it is possible to get even double that with the engine without just crashing to desktop.

Back on air cooling right now until I get this custom reservoir I am waiting for (if it ever gets built at all).

Just imagine this for a moment guys.

*Player charges over a hill*
*Player spots a line of 500 top tier archers staring at him.*
*Archers promptly reload*

"OH FUUUUUUUU-"

Argeus the Paladin said:

"OH FUUUUUUUU-"

Welcome to playing TLD and trying to fight the Elves.

Mage246 said:
Argeus the Paladin said:

"OH FUUUUUUUU-"

Welcome to playing TLD and trying to fight the Elves.

Not gonna. i iz Noldor/Sindar fanboi.

Back
Top Bottom