How many people are alive who remember WW1?

Users who are viewing this thread

It came into my mind recently that we must be coming to a point in time where there is noone left alive who remembers the great war.

Obviously we cannot know for sure but how close do you think we to that moment when noone alive remembers? There surely cannot be anyone alive who fought in it as you would have to be 108 at least (16 years old in 191:cool: and if you were young enough to be able to remember the times of the war you would still have to be over 100 and that's if memory still serves.

My grandad died last year at the age of 88, he was a Desert Rat in WW2 and he joined young which makes me think the number alive who fought in WW2 must be declining too. I was in the Imperial War museum 2 weeks ago listening to an elderley gentleman talk about being evacuated and he wasn't even old enough to fight then.

I don't know if it is because I have been bought up learning about them all the time or because I am afraid that the wars will lose their importance as time goes on and there is noone left alive who can talk about them who lived it, but it is a sad thought to me the day there is noone left alive who remembers WW1 and especially WW2. I don't know why but it has been on my mind.

IIRC the last WW1 Veteran died a few years ago, but I guess there could still be people who lived through WW1. Whether they remember it or not...

I just googled. Harry patch died in July last year and he was the last survivor of the trenches. The article says there is only one British survivor left alive who fought called Claude Choules and he is 108. I don't know about other countries.

Well my close friends grandpa was the 4th last veteran of WWI, he died a couple of years ago. It will be a sad day when no one is alive to remember it and everyone can say the whole war was a fake and never happened, what a shame.

Planted by the shadow government as a ploy for the neo-con push for a new world order!

They fake this stuff all the time. Moon landing? Fake. Black plague? Fake. They've planned this for a LONG time. Did you know the hundred years war was masterminded by corporate fascists?

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
Oh, yea, because, you know, the trenches and stuff from the war are SO not still around today...

Hey all ou have got to do is give another explanation of why it's there and people fall for it, because no one has actual proof if there is no one left who was in WWI.

That is incredibly sad, yes. Though, as the memories from the last attempts fade, perhaps we can have another chance at world conquest, without the troubles of being compared to such bad leader and some evil man. Then, perhaps, we may have one last peace.

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
:shock:
This is an endeavor that I must accomplish!

I've been planning it for the last two years. Two years ponderings, and numerous searches back to find the faults in past endeavors and administrations to make the Empire last as long as it possibly can. While the old Byzantine record of a thousand years of constant government may very well be out of reach, the Empire would hopefully last long enough to erase the old memories of regionalism and nationalism, in favor of a Brotherhood of Man.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
the Empire would hopefully last long enough to erase the old memories of regionalism and nationalism, in favor of a Brotherhood of Nod.

**** happy hippy time. I want laser bikes.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Calodine said:
Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
the Empire would hopefully last long enough to erase the old memories of regionalism and nationalism, in favor of a Brotherhood of Nod.

**** happy hippy time. I want laser bikes.

Reference to Alexander the Great, not that hippy ****, by the way.

You're doing it wrong.
If I was in power, Earth would be one hella polluted, massive ghetto, with soldiers parading in the streets, monuments to me, scientists building great spaceships and powerful weapons that I would use to spread my influence throughout the galaxy while controlling petty gang fights and rebellions here on Earth. Every animal except cows, sheep, chickens and other domesticated creatures would be extinct and the rest would be used to feed the great populations. Poor and weak would be enslaved, soldiers rich. And with every other planet I take over I'd get more money to spend on money, statues, money, women, money, soldiers, weapons, nukes, and most importantly, money.

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
You're doing it wrong.
If I was in power, Earth would be one hella polluted, massive ghetto, with soldiers parading in the streets, monuments to me, scientists building great spaceships and powerful weapons that I would use to spread my influence throughout the galaxy while controlling petty gang fights and rebellions here on Earth. Every animal except cows, sheep, chickens and other domesticated creatures would be extinct and the rest would be used to feed the great populations. Poor and weak would be enslaved, soldiers rich. And with every other planet I take over I'd get more money to spend on money, statues, money, women, money, soldiers, weapons, nukes, and most importantly, money.

I thought of that early on, but then I came to reality. Such a arrangement is impossible to keep stable. And while the extinction of most animals beyond those that have been domesticated is seeming to become inevitable as humanity expands it's numbers at such a exponential rate. And at the end of the conquest, the focus must be shifted from martial production and maintainability, to the development of space travel, and possible colonization. This, almost inevitably, will be impossible to be done within my lifetime, and thus the need for a effective administration. I will not have another Qin dynasty. We must either find a new base for our population, or die out. And while our extinction is inevitable, and probably beneficial to the world ecology, I have no desire to see us die out, being a stubborn bastard.

Unfortunately, the way I see it, massive population "reductions" will be necessary in some areas to stabilize them, and return them to the productive world. I believe most of you know these areas very well.

However, I have yet to develop a understanding of the workings of economies, which is quite troubling, and something I will have to expand my knowledge into.

Well, thats why you have a son(and maybe daughter) and raise them to believe how you want them too. They will likely continue this in their own kids, and thus your reign is immortal.

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
Well, thats why you have a son(and maybe daughter) and raise them to believe how you want them too. They will likely continue this in their own kids, and thus your reign is immortal.

Succession problems in such a system are inevitable. While I may have the good judgment to pick the most suitable son, that son might not have the same wisdom, and may be blinded by his own favoritism, setting off a long process of gradually declining rulers. No, the system that would be preferable would require a massive amount of work to maintain, and keep uncorrupted, but necessary. The idea is that each student, from the time they enter school, to the day they leave it, are monitored, and notes are made on their qualities and intelligence. From personality, to discipline, to academic achievement and interests, as well as basic IQ, will be monitored by a massive government run network of observers. The threats of corruption in this system is immense. If corruption and favoritism infect their ranks, people unsuitable to lead the empire might be ascended to power. Thus, it is necessary, if unwieldy, to create network upon network of officials monitoring the ones below them, all well paid, and have the cruelest punishments humanity could ever inflict upon another to prevent such corruption. This is all necessary, to pick one person, one among billions, who has all the qualities necessary to hold a Empire consisting of all the Earth with his or her sheer personality.

Social and genetic experimentation may be necessary to be explored as well to produce the leaders and officials  necessary to run the best, most efficient administration ever formed.

You're both doing it wrong. What you want is clone vats so you can simply execute excess population when they're no longer required, and generate new population on demand. Don't need to worry about stability then. Vat grow a bunch of colonists, get that planet you wanted to use as a private swimming pool terraformed then recycle the buggers. Simple.

Archonsod said:
You're both doing it wrong. What you want is clone vats so you can simply execute excess population when they're no longer required, and generate new population on demand. Don't need to worry about stability then. Vat grow a bunch of colonists, get that planet you wanted to use as a private swimming pool terraformed then recycle the buggers. Simple.

I was actually thinking about clones, truly. Nice call. The only problem is how to make them so they don't crumple down and die of some disorder or cancer or something of the sort. A problem that will have to be addressed, for a more loyal core military force and, perhaps, administration.

Back
Top Bottom