How many Adenian heavy cavalries do I need to eliminate the Legion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Go for Adenian Magnate, just the all-rounder best shock troop with charger (come with lance and/or morning star and always shielded, vital for siege)
If you have couple of knight chapters built and some good companions trainers skill, to raise from squire-knight-Magnate will be smooth. I just solely finish the game with roaming Magnates all around (+500 units by the end of game). You don't even need any missile nor infantry troops. Hence, a bit unbalancing the game, just let swarm the Magnates :smile:

On a ratio of 1 vs 3-5 odd, 80-100 magnates will largely dominate the battle scene with a battlesizer of 200. Once the first enemy wave wiped out, the rest coming ones are just pieces of cake, as they no longer align and move together tightly.

Of course you could do the same with Heavy Cavalry, I would recommend to increase the numbers to 20% more. But it's more game days consuming to train up from peasant* to the Heavy cavalry and maintenance cost is not really saving a lot compared to Magnate (full plate and charger which is a lot)

You could do, they become Adenian Zealous Magnate*, just see the faq in the stickie, it's well explained, need religious building to upgrade to faith troop (in a city could do then)

But in the end, I just find that magnate is much more effective in terms of quantities/cost/easy to train, and never bother to train faith troops afterward, for they might give an extra strike power, but they are just too precious and need to be always carried around in your main army, where for my magnates, I created couple of strategic garrison post (castles/cities), in such way, my main army (I don't use patrol function) is relatively small and mobile, only exclusively with cavalry, with traveling speed always above 7, and it's like blitzkrieg, rely on your strategic reserve troops (magnates), same way with this, you can lure enemy forces to your pursuit, then regather your reserve, then annihilation :twisted:

One of the big advantages of having an Adenian all-cavalry army is that you're very fast and you can pick your battles. Even if you can't smash the legion in a few big encounters, you can at least deplete their strength over time by capturing the Centurions one, two or three at a time. Even a party of just 100 magnates would suffice for this hit-and-run style, although I usually bring a lot more than that. If you see the odds are against you, run until the odds are in your favor again, then strike.

Try and get as many faith troops as you can. I would suggest having at least 40, that way you should never have less than 40 if you are getting new faith troops ever few days. The rest of your army should be nobles.

Just get 50 faith riders (e.g. Champion of the Ancients) and you defeat whatever they throw at you. I killed in a battle a legion army with 1000 soldiers with that small amount. And I did not lose 1 rider.

Tekvorian said:
Just get 50 faith riders (e.g. Champion of the Ancients) and you defeat whatever they throw at you. I killed in a battle a legion army with 1000 soldiers with that small amount. And I did not lose 1 rider.
Thanks to overpowered surgery.

Although, to be fair, as long as you own enough castles with knight chapters and keep low-tier noble units in your own party for training during battles, you can replenish losses relatively easily. A little too easily in fact. I eventually got to the point where I had more noble/faith units than I wanted!  :shock: My castle garrisons were fit to bursting with people claiming to have noble blood...

King Loras said:
Although, to be fair, as long as you own enough castles with knight chapters and keep low-tier noble units in your own party for training during battles, you can replenish losses relatively easily. A little too easily in fact. I eventually got to the point where I had more noble/faith units than I wanted!  :shock: My castle garrisons were fit to bursting with people claiming to have noble blood...
Same here.
I could go back to my castle which had over 200 nobles in total (3 castles).

I have about 300 medium cavalries*, and about 20 zealous magnates*. Did all of you played in normal damage to troops?

That's a good amount of medium cavalry*. Upgraded to heavy cavalry, they're pretty good. Not as good as magnates, but with 300 you could probably steamroll individual centurions anyways. Hmm, I see you don't mention how many non-zealous Adenian Magnates you have. Those are usually my best units. Your numbers should increase over time. 300 days was enough to create an all-Magnate army from three to five personally-owned castles with knight chapters and stables. I could afford to give the rest of my castles to my Lords.

As an Adenian, you don't need to match the Legion soldier for soldier. One top-tier cavalry (Heavy Cavalry or Magnate) is worth two or three of the Legion's best infantry on the battlefield. And most of the Centurions' soldiers are low-tier anyways. As long as you're fighting on the open field, picking your battles so you're at an advantage, and not wasting cavalry units in sieges, your losses should be minimal.

I usually had 80 faith troops (30 not mounted and 50 mounted) and I also went around with another 40 or so top tier nobles and I would almost never lose in a battle. I was the villianese so for sieges I just picked up my army of 200 sharpshooters.

I have come to this conclusion too, surgery is broken at level 9-10. My next game I will have to restrict the skill if I cant find a script to reduce the % per point it gives. Legion was a bit too easy-mode in my game I think mainly due to this skill

Qtee said:

I have come to this conclusion too, surgery is broken at level 9-10. My next game I will have to restrict the skill if I cant find a script to reduce the % per point it gives. Legion was a bit too easy-mode in my game I think mainly due to this skill
Surgery will not be as good in V5.

The legionares are much weaker than I thought. I have captured about 10 centurions, with the loss of one Adenian Heavy Cavalry and one Swadian Man at Arms. I will try normal damage today.

Yes, I imagine this would be the first encounter you ever made with the Legion. For I've prepared also some fighting force for the first Legion encounter, and somehow after an easy decisive victory, all the hype and stress whether I have planned well strategically just dropped abruptly. Definitely, the Legion need to be tweaked to be more and more a constant challenge, there is already the excellent Twan' variant Auxiliarii, and on the way to be incorporated into V4 Gold release, I bet that will be a very different story and strategic planning :smile:

surgery are not real but many thinks of game are not real.two handed warhamer hit on head and you live,same as arrow on throat.

When there's an arrow in your throat, imagine you have armor underneath your skin. :lol: Just kidding.

But seriously, I actually removed all the armor from my horses in my version to make incidents like that less common. They die faster, but I think that's more realistic too. Honestly, when hundreds of arrows and javelins are raining down on your tightly packed cavalry formation, it stands to reason a bunch of 'em would fall right? Of course, I tried to maintain the balance by giving horses higher charge values too. In native, a guy gets run over by a Charger half a dozen times in a row and he's still 100% combat effective...  :???:

About the Surgery thing, I don't think I've ever gotten it up to 9 or 10 before (I'm not very good at sticking with a character long enough to level up that much). Either way, replacing dead troops is relatively easy in SoD's mid-to-late game phase, so I wouldn't mind a nerf to the Surgery ability.

Back
Top Bottom