• Please note that we've updated the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord save file system which requires you to take certain steps in order for your save files to be compatible with e1.7.1 and any later updates. You can find the instructions here.

How good xbowman mercenaries are?

Users who are viewing this thread

NOVICIUS

Master Knight
It is probably not worth of the new thread but I have that idea of removing Xbowmans training from the map from the same reason which lead to ban Xbows in medieval (by Church). Xbows seams to be to deadly for my liking.

Xbows stats are all above 40 damage points which move it to my "legendary weapons" class. Fully armored knight (even in plate) hit by bold have to look for doc. This is realistic. Yes. Yes and Yes, but it gives to much "power" to low cost soldier. It works almost like in time of gunpowder which end knight era.

I plan to make knights real elite:
- only one to use horses [expensive]
- only one to use "legendary weapons" [expensive beyond belive]
- only one to use best armor [even more expensive]
..which lead regular soldiers to the battle.

I like to go back to 12 century with some elements of "new era" coming up but still being rare.

OK. Back to question:

How good is mercenary with Xbow?

I am not xbowman so I can not say my self.

Idea is to create some sort of mercenary camp/port in which player can train as mercenary and create mercenary (no castle) faction/ company. Mercenaries would be only one soldiers in the world capable to use Xbows. They would have access to better Xbows than basic one they spawn with. They would have that to have special advantage over factions which control castles and stand chance to conquer them or be used as..mercenary.

RP like they would be arrivals from distant land which should explain they special skills.

but..how good they are? Can you play as merc xbowman all game or you just can not wait to train as xbowman in faction? I know the stats but I ask for practical side of it which comes from your experience. Can mercenaries be deadly with proper xbow in the hand? 


----------------
Price/Strength/Agility/Athletics/Riding/1 Hand/2 Hand/Polearm/Archery/Crossbows/Throwing/Ironflesh/Powerstrike/Powerthrow/Powerdraw/Engineering/Labouring/Woundtreating/Sailing/Looting

Mercenary 700  14 14 3 2 90 70 80 60 80 70 3 1 0 0 1 0 0 3 0

Crowbowman 1200 14 14 4 2 90 60 60 50 150 50 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 3 0

 

ImoD

Recruit
WB
Nice Ideas  :smile:
i mean for the Knights Part
but for the Mercs
They are .. Average with xbows.
Better with melee.
 

NOVICIUS

Master Knight
From the stats it looks like very dangerous for horseman combinations are possible:

- spearman with Xbow
- 2h with Xbow
- sword and shield with Xbow

It looks like mercenaries can also use all kind of Xbows (as it is down to strength)
 

Knüppel

Sergeant Knight
WB
Mercenaries would be only one soldiers in the world capable to use Xbows
Just asking, how exactly do you plan to establish this? Could work with bows and archer class, but Crossbows have no requirement besides strength (meaning, every peasant can use light xbow)
 

Phoenix234

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Knüppel said:
Mercenaries would be only one soldiers in the world capable to use Xbows
Just asking, how exactly do you plan to establish this? Could work with bows and archer class, but Crossbows have no requirement besides strength (meaning, every peasant can use light xbow)
what he wants isnt possible since its linked to strength unless all other classes had less str then required but then there wouldnt be any plate
 

Boarlady

Grandmaster Knight
NW
I think Xbowmen are fine, its one of the least used classes imo. There are not terribly hard to avoid and they load slow as hell.


Also:

NOVICIUS said:
To stop my self from starting new thread [I can almost hear it - NOT AGAIN NOV!!!] anytime I have some idea I decide to stick to one thread.
 

Aldric

Grandmaster Knight
WB
Anyone with 14 STR can use a sniper Xbow. Having Xbow class ( and 150 WPF ) allow the owner to reload faster and aim a bit more accurately but any footman can use a sniper Xbow and take out his 2 handed sword.

Suggestion : Do not do a "Xbow faction" but allow a trade point with more expensive Xbow.
 

NOVICIUS

Master Knight
Thank you very much.

This give me some idea of what can and what can not be done.

Boarlady said:
Also:
NOVICIUS said:
To stop my self from starting new thread [I can almost hear it - NOT AGAIN NOV!!!] anytime I have some idea I decide to stick to one thread.

Just go away ..will you  :roll:
 

Fenix_120

Sergeant
I remember once I tried to play an Xbow man and sucked so bad I never played as one again for two years, then as a Footman and not a crossbowman who have only 25 skill I got 5 head shots in a row.


So, lowering crossbowman's skill may actually make them meaner.
 

Knüppel

Sergeant Knight
WB
It depends on what you do. If you stand watch at a tower or some nest, the additional xbow skill will be what you are up for.
Otherwise I'd go footman and hold a crossbow.

As for crossbows in general, you could make them very rare and expensive to buy either, or in general limit it to light and normal crossbows like on Lowlands
 

Stig_Mikkelson

Sergeant
WBNW
The idea sounds good, but has a lot of flaws. In this time period, anyone could use a crossbow. When a French town was attacked, (Not English, of course) the villagers would take crossbows and fire them from the wall. They were trained to reload and fire, and that was all they needed. When an English force attacked, they would face the Garrison's men, along with the villagers. Crossbows are very strong, and a shot can easily kill, but it takes 2 slots(ingame), horrible reload time, and you have to stand still. Crossbows were assassin and defender weapons, and when used in assualting, they would have a shieldman to protect him while he loads. Bows, however, were less commonly used, as it took years to train the skill, and build up the muscle to draw the string to your ear. Considering this, more men had crossbows to save time. It was true that a lot of crossbows were imported, and that most of the users were foriegn mercenaries, but they quickly spread after someone wanted their own. One, theres a crossbowman class, so would you can rid of this, or change it some how? Two, it would be an unfair advantage enless everyone wanted to have crossbows. Anyone can use a crossbow, just not so well. I think its fine how it is, as mercenaries skill level in crossbows in higher than most.
 

NOVICIUS

Master Knight
Knüppel said:
It depends on what you do. If you stand watch at a tower or some nest, the additional xbow skill will be what you are up for.
Otherwise I'd go footman and hold a crossbow.

As for crossbows in general, you could make them very rare and expensive to buy either, or in general limit it to light and normal crossbows like on Lowlands

I like that,,what you guys think?

Stig_Mikkelson said:
The idea sounds good, but has a lot of flaws. In this time period, anyone could use a crossbow. When a French town was attacked, (Not English, of course) the villagers would take crossbows and fire them from the wall. They were trained to reload and fire, and that was all they needed. When an English force attacked, they would face the Garrison's men, along with the villagers. Crossbows are very strong, and a shot can easily kill, but it takes 2 slots(ingame), horrible reload time, and you have to stand still. Crossbows were assassin and defender weapons, and when used in assualting, they would have a shieldman to protect him while he loads. Bows, however, were less commonly used, as it took years to train the skill, and build up the muscle to draw the string to your ear. Considering this, more men had crossbows to save time. It was true that a lot of crossbows were imported, and that most of the users were foriegn mercenaries, but they quickly spread after someone wanted their own. One, theres a crossbowman class, so would you can rid of this, or change it some how? Two, it would be an unfair advantage enless everyone wanted to have crossbows. Anyone can use a crossbow, just not so well. I think its fine how it is, as mercenaries skill level in crossbows in higher than most.

I do not know..I comment later on that..

Just one point...Xbow common and bows not? Hello !!!

Bow was common as basic way to get food for something like 5 thousand years. Xbow is military invention which is old in China but quite modern in Europe..Maybe it is easy to train but for medieval guy it is not common or natural to use it. There is always psychologic side of things. :roll:
 
Top Bottom