How exactly are you supposed to get vassals?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I'm having issues with getting anyone to join my kingdom.
I currently own Charas and Usanc Castle and I have build up my relation with various Vlandian vassals.
Staging prison rescues is the fastest way to raise your relationship with them, you get around 30 relationship from a single rescue.
Even so, none of them want to join me, the answer is always that they are happy with their current liege and neither our relationship or my purse is deep enough to change his mind.

I have an example, Berican. He is ENEMIES with Derthert, his clan is Poor, I have 99 relation with him, and I'm filthy rich and my clan is tier 5, yet he still refuses to join my kingdom. Please see the screenshots below.

He hates Dethert:
dnIoFRF.png

I have 99 relation with him:
3BDiAad.png

He is poor:
6jP51ZA.png

He is happy with his current liege:
BucLWJ0.png

What am I missing from this oh so secret formula of getting vassals to join my kingdom?

I look forward to the potential feature that lets you make your companions into new clans aligned to your kingdom. Check my signature for more information, and cast your vote if interested.

That feature will significantly better the game I think.

Other than that, I do not know the formula. Sometimes it is very hard to get someone to join you, other times they come begging.

So I'm having issues with getting anyone to join my kingdom.
I currently own Charas and Usanc Castle and I have build up my relation with various Vlandian vassals.
Staging prison rescues is the fastest way to raise your relationship with them, you get around 30 relationship from a single rescue.
Even so, none of them want to join me, the answer is always that they are happy with their current liege and neither our relationship or my purse is deep enough to change his mind.

I have an example, Berican. He is ENEMIES with Derthert, his clan is Poor, I have 99 relation with him, and I'm filthy rich and my clan is tier 5, yet he still refuses to join my kingdom. Please see the screenshots below.

He hates Dethert:
dnIoFRF.png

I have 99 relation with him:
3BDiAad.png

He is poor:
6jP51ZA.png

He is happy with his current liege:
BucLWJ0.png

What am I missing from this oh so secret formula of getting vassals to join my kingdom?

Your answer will come "Soon" in the form of a vague response from a TW Dev....

Relation isn't having any impact on that. Relation just helps you tiny a bit on the dialogue, but its marginal and actually RNG anyway.
Speak to a Vassal who is not having any settlements. You can search them through the encyclopedia (press N->"Clans"->search for fiefs top right).
They are most likely willing to join a different Kingdom. Make sure that you have charm to Meaningful Favors Perk and your Athletics to Having Going (both at 75) it will improve your success chance on the dialoge a lot.

Relation isn't having any impact on that. Relation just helps you tiny a bit on the dialogue, but its marginal and actually RNG anyway.
Speak to a Vassal who is not having any settlements. You can search them through the encyclopedia (press N->"Clans"->search for fiefs top right).
They are most likely willing to join a different Kingdom. Make sure that you have charm to Meaningful Favors Perk and your Athletics to Having Going (both at 75) it will improve your success chance on the dialoge a lot.

There's literally two battanians, an aserai and a khuzait (actual vassals) who don't have fiefs, the rest are just mercenaries. The guy I'm trying to get has only 1 fief.

Tested on one of them and indeed the dialogue popped up to recruit although I never even met him. What a dumb design for vassal recruitment requirements. Gj tw.

There's literally two battanians, an aserai and a khuzait (actual vassals) who don't have fiefs, the rest are just mercenaries. The guy I'm trying to get has only 1 fief.

Tested on one of them and indeed the dialogue popped up to recruit although I never even met him. What a dumb design for vassal recruitment requirements. Gj tw.
you welcome.
that "design" you are talking about is not finished yet as this is still an early access version. see it as a placeholder. it was established to not make strong vasals join you or any other faction at day 1. which is fair. you will be able to get more vasals once you took more settlements. you can be sure that system will change later on the road once there is time for it. it's not that i have special information towards that, but i do know that taleworlds is working hard. dont get caught by the haters, most of them dont know ****.

Last edited:
How rich? Because that line of dialog means you don't have enough money to buy him. If he has a decent settlement, expect something around 2 million, which means you need to have either 5 or 6 million denars to even open the dialog.

How rich? Because that line of dialog means you don't have enough money to buy him. If he has a decent settlement, expect something around 2 million, which means you need to have either 5 or 6 million denars to even open the dialog.
He has Sargot, 3k prosp, I have 700k

That's not enough, you're going to need millions. Like Apocal said 5-6 million before that line of dialogue will even be available. If there is a landless clan that you have a positive relationship with then it will cost far less maybe 250-400k but you'll still want to have 3-4x that amount.

That's not enough, you're going to need millions. Like Apocal said 5-6 million before that line of dialogue will even be available. If there is a landless clan that you have a positive relationship with then it will cost far less maybe 250-400k but you'll still want to have 3-4x that amount.

Wow, that's disgusting, especially since the only way to make that money is two hours of literally smithing only. Who came up with this coding?

@Foohy your best bet for recruiting clans is to conquer their kingdom.

An example:

• Want to make a kingdom in sturgia with sturgian lords
  • Become mercenary of adjacent enemy of Sturgia (Vlandia/Battania/Khuzait)
  • Fight as many battles against sturgians, always releasing for relation boost
  • Once a battle for a sturgian town is about to occur, join as a vassal so that the town is easily awarded to you.
  • Conquer sturgia, taking as many towns as possible
  • This will leave the majority of sturgian clans with no fiefs and very poor with no income
  • Hopefully once the majority of sturgia is conquered, you have multiple sturgian towns and at least 1 mil + (although I highly suggest having much more)
  • Leave your faction and create your own, pay for peace.
  • Begin to hunt down the very poor sturgian clans with no fiefs and recruit them, they should only cost a few hundred thousand if fiefless.
  • Declare war on sturgia and finish off anything they have left.
  • Declare war on previous kingdom you were a vassal of and take back anything sturgian from them.
This will get a you a few of the clans you want, but no guarantee as other kingdoms will start to recruit these lords.

0zvAb.jpg
sZuWs.jpg

Wow, that's disgusting, especially since the only way to make that money is two hours of literally smithing only. Who came up with this coding?
I made that much just by fighting. ?‍♂️

edit: Defeating a normal, 90-120 man party = over 10,000 denars worth of loot + direct plunder + ransoms. Defeating an army of around 600-900 with moderately high tier units (call it an average of tier 3) will make you over 100,000 denars between loot and plunder, with ransoms being roughly 35,000 on top of that if take only enemy nobles and high tier mounted units.

The biggest problem you'll have is getting to a city wealthy enough to afford it all.

Last edited:
@Foohy I have two strats to get vassals to join my kingdom: I cheat my trade skill to 300. I buy their settlements then ask them to join me. Once they have no towns/castles they will gladly join you if you have the coin.
Or, I cheat my money up to a gazillion. And even then it is RNG if I can get them to join or not.

Either way, I cheat. Because with the economy right now it's near impossible to get a good sum without abusing smithing (which is like cheating, but more tedious).

I cant support 4 parties to fight in my wars, support mercenary troops, level my own soldiers and earn enough money from my 2 fiefs to pony up millions for a vassal.

You can try using my mod
I patched the game to get rid of the "happy with liege" crap and reduce the amount of gold you need to bribe the guy
Also added ability to generate a new vassal for any fief you own or make companions into vassals

I made that much just by fighting. ?‍♂️

edit: Defeating a normal, 90-120 man party = over 10,000 denars worth of loot + direct plunder + ransoms. Defeating an army of around 600-900 with moderately high tier units (call it an average of tier 3) will make you over 100,000 denars between loot and plunder, with ransoms being roughly 35,000 on top of that if take only enemy nobles and high tier mounted units.

The biggest problem you'll have is getting to a city wealthy enough to afford it all.

I appreciate your tips, but if you honestly think anyone will find this fun or a good suggestion, to farm millions just by fighting so you can get a single vassal, then we have different definitions of what fun gameplay is.

I like battles, but fighting (alone btw) for 10s, if not 100s of hours to get millions of gold to get A SINGLE lord? No thanks.

You can try using my mod
I patched the game to get rid of the "happy with liege" crap and reduce the amount of gold you need to bribe the guy
Also added ability to generate a new vassal for any fief you own or make companions into vassals
You're a godsend, thanks! Will try it out after work.

I appreciate your tips, but if you honestly think anyone will find this fun or a good suggestion, to farm millions just by fighting so you can get a single vassal, then we have different definitions of what fun gameplay is.

I like battles, but fighting (alone btw) for 10s, if not 100s of hours to get millions of gold to get A SINGLE lord? No thanks.
The alternative is try for fiefless, broke lords who hate their liege.

Those cost 180-300K.

Try recruiting fiefless clans.

@Foohy your best bet for recruiting clans is to conquer their kingdom.

An example:

• Want to make a kingdom in sturgia with sturgian lords
  • Become mercenary of adjacent enemy of Sturgia (Vlandia/Battania/Khuzait)
  • Fight as many battles against sturgians, always releasing for relation boost
  • Once a battle for a sturgian town is about to occur, join as a vassal so that the town is easily awarded to you.
  • Conquer sturgia, taking as many towns as possible
  • This will leave the majority of sturgian clans with no fiefs and very poor with no income
  • Hopefully once the majority of sturgia is conquered, you have multiple sturgian towns and at least 1 mil + (although I highly suggest having much more)
  • Leave your faction and create your own, pay for peace.
  • Begin to hunt down the very poor sturgian clans with no fiefs and recruit them, they should only cost a few hundred thousand if fiefless.
  • Declare war on sturgia and finish off anything they have left.
  • Declare war on previous kingdom you were a vassal of and take back anything sturgian from them.
This will get a you a few of the clans you want, but no guarantee as other kingdoms will start to recruit these lords.

0zvAb.jpg
sZuWs.jpg

Yep, this is the tactic I always use and works like a charm. I have recruit clans just for 50K or so.

There is a third possibility. Genocide. Just kill every lord you capture. Capture lots of them. No enemies no problems. Maybe. I don't know if it works as a world conquering strategy, I always get bored by the late game.

Back
Top Bottom