How does the new battle scene thing work mentioned in update 7 video

Users who are viewing this thread

All are very good points. To decrease repetitveness, maybe they will need to divide the map into even more smaller pieces, and add bigger battlefields such that spawn positions will nearly never be the same.

Now I have a few question, too.

1) On the video, even though there is not a bridge anywhere near between the parties, on the battle map, they seem to spawn on different sides of the bridge. Is this accuracy normal?

2) Will the battle maps be bigger?

3) Will spawn points be predefined, or will they really take into account the directions the parties are facing when they engage on campaign map?
It looks like their plan is just to make each map big enough that you could have entire battles on just a small part of it. So for example in the one we saw; there was a whole mountain range and a forest in that zone we never even saw.

It looks to be a very impressive feature.

As for your questions:

1) I assume what it will do is pick out the area around where the battle was centred then push the attacking party back in the direction it came from... or something along those lines.

2) Looks so.

3) Spawn points will take account of the directions the parties were facing; this was stated in one of the update blogs.

My guess: since TW level designers have that big global map heightmap made in a separate landscaping software, they can copy-crop and upscale parts of it in any way they like. This is quite smart and my bet is that we are going to play the true global map landscapes, heightmap-wise, upscaled and edited.

- If the fighting happens a lot in the same region, it means that the same map will be seen a lot, becoming pretty repetitive.
This is actually one of the things i'm most excited about, predictability is good and historically battles were not fought at random places but on carefully chosen terrain by one side.

This way i'll be able to know the terrain in places i'm used to fight and plan accordingly like for example, i have a heavy cavalry force so i'll lure the enemy into some open plains i like to fight in, if i have more ranged troops i'll prefer those hills and forests around X place etc

You can kinda do this of knowning the maps already since they are handmade but they are also random so you'll never know if you'll fight in that map you like that has good places to position your troops or that other you just hate to fight in unless you keep reloading the battle to change maps.

Last edited:
I like this new feature in general. Sounds pretty cool.
- And the main point that's worrying me : by making battle map linked to the strategic map but hand-made, it means :
1) We're stuck with the atrocious strategic map that is in the game right now.
I agree with you Akka on this. Makes me a bit sad, but o well.

- And the main point that's worrying me : by making battle map linked to the strategic map but hand-made, it means :
1) We're stuck with the atrocious strategic map that is in the game right now.
2) It's liable to not be fixed because change in the strategic map would need to be replicated in the battle map.
3) Mods with custom maps would need to implement tons of battle maps rather than them being generated on the fly.

Oh yeah. Wow I didn't even think of this. This is potentially a huge obstacle to modding. If that is the case, please Taleworlds, don't go forward with this change. Being able to mod this game easily is CRITICAL for the longevity and health of this game. You can't really have a Middle Earth, Game of Thrones, Crusades, Feudal Japan, etc total conversion if the campaign maps can't be easily edited and battle scenes easily added.

If the maps are big enough, they don't need multiple maps per zone. Just multiple spawn locations that match approximately where the battle takes place on the campaign map.

A map is not going to become repetitive to fight over if it takes your army 10 minutes to traverse it. It's going to have variance within the map. If they're large enough they're going to add far more immersion than several smaller random maps per region might be.

And it will add much more strategic depth to the campaign map. For example, if you wanted to fight with mostly spear infantry, you could ensure you join a battle near trees or rocks. For cavalry, you might move away from the hills or forest.

It looks like their plan is just to make each map big enough that you could have entire battles on just a small part of it. So for example in the one we saw; there was a whole mountain range and a forest in that zone we never even saw.
If this is the case, it is very good.
1) I assume what it will do is pick out the area around where the battle was centred then push the attacking party back in the direction it came from... or something along those lines.
I hope so. It would not be that immersion breaking because parties on the campaign map would thought to be representing only the leaders/scouts etc. The armies would very well arrive from behind explaning the push-backs.

Also, when thought about it, without push-backs, bridge crossing would nearly never be possible as parties on the campaign map already needs to be contacted with each other for the battle to begin.

They did not said the scenes would match the world map but that a region corresponds to a specific scene.They would have to do a lot of hand labor to match scenes to the map, what they might do is just select the scenes that they already have and match them as best as possible with the map regions and modify/create others.

This is actually a bold move by TW standarts, I guess this doesn't have much complexity in terms of coding, it just takes a while to do it.

Back
Top Bottom