How does the new battle scene thing work mentioned in update 7 video

Users who are viewing this thread

I hope they´ll have a pool of 3 maps or whatever for a region too make it less repetitive. Overall I really like the new system.
I saw about 147 regions in the video, which is already a lot, imagine 3x this? would be an insane amount of maps.

But i know that in the same map we initiate the battle in different positions and distances from the enemy already, maybe in this new system we will have even more "variations" for the same map?

So is it one or two scenes per 'colour zone' of the map? or one scene per individual sector?

It better be the latter ! (That was the impression I got from the video)

If so.... then I'm quite genuinely impressed.

Last edited:
It looks like they're just creating one scene for each sector here, pretty cool but could also be repetitive? We will see I guess.
No more repetitive than fighting in one of three random maps really. I think it's a great new system and something that the Total War games inexplicably left behind.

I just hope that each battle map is large enough that if you spawn into different starting locations it will feel different. Otherwise, it will get really repetitive when you're constantly fighting on the exact same map over and over again to defend your villages

I just hope that each battle map is large enough that if you spawn into different starting locations it will feel different. Otherwise, it will get really repetitive when you're constantly fighting on the exact same map over and over again to defend your villages
well if it's around one of my villages it would make sense to be the same place again and again, if i move further to one direction then it should change accordingly.

If it's indeed one big map for each region this will be awesome, i can already see modders improving and embellishing them with small roads, grain fields, some houses here and there etc like the author of Calradia Expanded is doing with the campaign map :party:

Overall this seems to be a great change for modders. I am not sure if it will bring that much change in the basegame becasue there the maps are overall less diverse. But imagine a Mod like AWoIAF or something where they get real options to create all the important places in the world with old ruins and stuff realy a location whre you can fight. It can also give great options to integrate things like the important roads and stuff on the battle maps where i can perhaps use more tactics to hide units behind buildings and so on.
Overall i think this will boost the mods that will come out into areas we haven't expected.

Finally, the terrain system is getting updated. I got tired of entering a battle near the forest and ending up at the river scene for no reason. Or those endless fights in the mountains... Hope the system will work though

The truth seems to me something very interesting and realistic the fact that in various regions there are maps. I think I prefer this to having a random map that is identical to the others. Taking into account that it would be like in real life to be in a place and if you return you will fight in the same place you fought. Another thing that I liked is that they are already working a lot on the scenes of cities and castles, finally something new. Also, think about what modders can add in this new mapping system.

But imagine a Mod like AWoIAF or something where they get real options to create all the important places in the world with old ruins and stuff realy a location whre you can fight
Didn't think about this, it's a great point. It will be massive for mods lore and immersion.

I'm wondering how this new regional system thing will work where a scene may contain a brige or crossing. The bridge battles and there respective locations on the world map have to be consistant, right?.

I mean bridge locations on the world map, much like villages, castles and towns are physical structures, perminant and unchanging, so they would have to use some kind of exception rule within those regional scenes that contain bridges, so that if a bridge scene falls into one specific region, then it should not be drawn from a random pool of bridge maps, but instead be the same map over and over for that specific location, for it to be truly immersive.

Also, if anything, this will give TWs an opportunity to make each crossing/bridge location a unique experience, offering the player some interesting senarios. Lots of bridges/crossings scattered throughout Calradia though. There might be a few snags and whatnot to begin with but I'm sure they've got this figured out. Sounds good!

I saw about 147 regions in the video, which is already a lot, imagine 3x this? would be an insane amount of maps.

But i know that in the same map we initiate the battle in different positions and distances from the enemy already, maybe in this new system we will have even more "variations" for the same map?
Sure, but for 49,99€ they should be able to do it.

Should be cool. Still don't know why i can't give my parties orders to do things. I would keep the current way maps are generated if i could give my parties orders. Something like "raid this town then come back" or "patrol this area for a week". I am surprised this feature has not been implemented. There should be more communication with the parties you create, send a message or something.

Should be cool. Still don't know why i can't give my parties orders to do things. I would keep the current way maps are generated if i could give my parties orders. Something like "raid this town then come back" or "patrol this area for a week". I am surprised this feature has not been implemented. There should be more communication with the parties you create, send a message or something.
These features were rejected unfortunately, seems like features that were present in warband (a 10+ y old game) are too complex for it's successor so they'll only implement a 3-stance system to coordinate your parties, no details yet but must be something like defensive, normal and aggressive to adjust their behavior instead of being clear "i want you do do this and that, avoid stronger enemies, don't loot villages, only join armies led by me etc", while this was already fixed in mods as usual lol

It's pretty clear what they said:
  • One scene per region, although I can see the possibility of subdividing the some regions into smaller parts.
  • In each region it will also take into account your map position and direction when spawning you on the scene. This could be a continuous relative change to the map coordinates, in the scene spawn position, or it has sub regions (a group of coordinates) that determine spawn positions. I would prefer the first option as it would enable you to use full tactics, but in the video they say "determines where each side will spawn in the battle" this sounds like the second option but I hope I'm wrong.
What I don't know is if the scenes will be representative (with accuracy) of the world map geography. I don't know the criteria they used before this update, when creating the "random" scenes, are they really random or some of them actually resemble the world map? I think this was an amazing move by TW but you need maps that are similar to the world map region, otherwise having one scene that has no similarity with the world map it's not much better than being totally random. There is no easy solution to this but to create new scenes and modify others... The good news is that modders can take full advantage of this (if modding tools work properly) from the beginning, this essentially enables them to create an "open world" game but with loading times when you change region :lol:

Really boils down to how many spawning points they allow. One spawn a few hundred meters to the left or right on the same map could make drastic difference in battle outcomes. In short -im hoping for alot of carefully considered spawning points and tying them into the commanders Tactics skills level as well as the direction each party approached from the map

I know that most people find this new approach great, but I'm not really a fan of this change.

- If the fighting happens a lot in the same region, it means that the same map will be seen a lot, becoming pretty repetitive.

- The battle maps representing a whole region tends to make the strategic map feels a lot smaller.

- Doing so many maps has (and/or will) cost a lot of man-hours. I know artists aren't engine developers, but overall I feel like a good procedural generator would have taken less work than doing all these maps, and a procedural generator would be much less restrictive.

- And the main point that's worrying me : by making battle map linked to the strategic map but hand-made, it means :
1) We're stuck with the atrocious strategic map that is in the game right now.
2) It's liable to not be fixed because change in the strategic map would need to be replicated in the battle map.
3) Mods with custom maps would need to implement tons of battle maps rather than them being generated on the fly.

I know that most people find this new approach great, but I'm not really a fan of this change.

- If the fighting happens a lot in the same region, it means that the same map will be seen a lot, becoming pretty repetitive.

- The battle maps representing a whole region tends to make the strategic map feels a lot smaller.

- Doing so many maps has (and/or will) cost a lot of man-hours. I know artists aren't engine developers, but overall I feel like a good procedural generator would have taken less work than doing all these maps, and a procedural generator would be much less restrictive.

- And the main point that's worrying me : by making battle map linked to the strategic map but hand-made, it means :
1) We're stuck with the atrocious strategic map that is in the game right now.
2) It's liable to not be fixed because change in the strategic map would need to be replicated in the battle map.
3) Mods with custom maps would need to implement tons of battle maps rather than them being generated on the fly.

All are very good points. To decrease repetitveness, maybe they will need to divide the map into even more smaller pieces, and add bigger battlefields such that spawn positions will nearly never be the same.

Now I have a few question, too.

1) On the video, even though there is not a bridge anywhere near between the parties, on the battle map, they seem to spawn on different sides of the bridge. Is this accuracy normal?

2) Will the battle maps be bigger?

3) Will spawn points be predefined, or will they really take into account the directions the parties are facing when they engage on campaign map?

Back
Top Bottom