how does extra equipment, additional armor, heavier shield etc; affect your speed?

Users who are viewing this thread

In warband everything had weight and made you slower,

i do not know how weight works in bannerlord,

does carrying extra equipment, like javelins, slow you down?

i know carrying a shield slows you down, but does it still slow you down ( i know not as much) when it is on your back?

what about the perks like better armor, or better shield, etc,

does that extra weight affect your speed?

i like the weight system of warband

i like not carrying ranged weapons bc i would be faster,

if in bannerlord you are not slower by carrying extra equipment like javelins then there is no point in not carrying extra equipment

i do not like this bc it encourages more players to use ranged items instead of focusing on melee

please bring back the weight mechanics of warband where weight affects speed

edit: i heard alot of things from people but apparently there a is secret weight mechanics to the game, i do not know why they do not list the weights of items so players can decide what they want to carry(if they had a choice besides perks, but even with their defaults perk equipment)

can a dev confirm? i know your busy though

also i wonder if throwing items get less weight per item thrown, like javelins; i only like having 1 javelin to use as a mini quick spear to rear cav does that mean my jav slows me down 1/3 as much (not counting the case)

Last edited:
As far as I know the speed is dictated by the class you choose. No idea to what extent equipment influences this (or if it does at all)

Not 100% sure on this, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe a dev?

I think at the start of alpha/early beta the movement speed shown on the class was all that mattered, they later added active equipment weight, so whatever weapon/shield you had active at the time. Later they also added full weight by having sheathed weapons aswell.
Again I'm not sure about this, I dont recall it being mentioned in any patch notes so its just my personal observations.

Weight definitly matters now though, and thats abit of a problem, because the info on your class is incorrect. It doesnt update in real time so you dont know how slow you'll actually be. Also only shields show weight, does that mean weapons themself have no weight? Or is it tied to Handling, which definitly doesnt make it any clearer.

When talking with Nin3 about this he said that a shield on your back makes you slower, having it active adds to this.

This is for all equipment but for shields the most notable as they are heavier, not sure if shields have a penalty for unwieldyness.

When talking with Nin3 about this he said that a shield on your back makes you slower, having it active adds to this.

This is for all equipment but for shields the most notable as they are heavier, not sure if shields have a penalty for unwieldyness.
thank you for answering,

so to clarify;

it is the same weight system as warband but with a new extra weight to shields?

i also heard that bows carry the same extra weight,

is this true?

It feels like a similar weight system that warband has, having javs on your back and quivers does slow you down a little, but yeah, having a shield adds the most weight, although the weight is kinda negated with faster skirmish classes because they naturally move quicker.

I thought right now it was just base speed + weight of whatever items you have equipped, but not shield on back or sheathed weapon...

Ranger class running in slow motion compared to other units, kinda dumb if you ask me
agreed, no reason for an archer wearing no armor to be slower then a fully armored foot soldier,

same with lightly armored dismounted cavalry,

movement speed should just be based on your weight not predetermined class presets not based on weight

I thought right now it was just base speed + weight of whatever items you have equipped, but not shield on back or sheathed weapon...
I believe this is a relatively recent change, something like a multiplier for shield weight when it is readied. Next time you're playing multiplayer try stowing your shield and sheathing your weapons and see how much faster you are.

You'll notice that when captains are delaying by kiting AI around the map they drop all their excess gear and stow their weapons.

thank you for answering,

so to clarify;

it is the same weight system as warband but with a new extra weight to shields?

i also heard that bows carry the same extra weight,

is this true?
Archers have lower movement speed by default, doubt the bow has an extra weight to it.
So its basically Warbands system but with less transparancy, as you could see every equipments weight, and make a calculation based on that.
I have no idea how much any item weigh besides the shield, which is switched every patch anyway, and I'm sure as hell not doing tests to figure that out. I still think weapon weight it tied to Handling and thats why its not a separate stat.

agreed, no reason for an archer wearing no armor to be slower then a fully armored foot soldier,

same with lightly armored dismounted cavalry,

movement speed should just be based on your weight not predetermined class presets not based on weight
Couldn't agree more.
One of the things I always hated in Warband was the difference in weight of the classes, doesn't make any sense, even if you went completely naked some untis would outrun others.. cav units always moved slow on foot.

Also one of the changes that I hated the most was the nerf to the inf and ranger class if they mounted a horse, only cav can proper use the mount...

Couldn't agree more.
One of the things I always hated in Warband was the difference in weight of the classes, doesn't make any sense, even if you went completely naked some untis would outrun others.. cav units always moved slow on foot.

Also one of the changes that I hated the most was the nerf to the inf and ranger class if they mounted a horse, only cav can proper use the mount...
Thats because of the hidden mechanics. Multiplayer had stats like Athletics, Power strike etc aswell, you just wouldnt know unless you took a dive into the code. It had to be done otherwise archers would infinitely kite infantry, and cavalry would be as effective as infantry in melee.
The problem isnt that this existed, the problem is the vast majority of players didnt have access to it.

The nerf to riding speed for other classes is probably the only thing keeping casual Bannerlord alive right now.

Thats because of the hidden mechanics. Multiplayer had stats like Athletics, Power strike etc aswell, you just wouldnt know unless you took a dive into the code. It had to be done otherwise archers would infinitely kite infantry, and cavalry would be as effective as infantry in melee.
The problem isnt that this existed, the problem is the vast majority of players didnt have access to it.

The nerf to riding speed for other classes is probably the only thing keeping casual Bannerlord alive right now.
i think archers should be just as fast as infantry if they have the same weight with equipment,

i think, like the shield, quivers , while equipped should slow you down (it is hard to run with a quiver of arrows without them getting everywhere)

so an archer isn't just slow bc of his class but his equipment

so if he dropped his quiver he would be just as fast, given armor weight etc, as any other class,

i think that would solve the kiting problem with archers,

and cavalry should be just as effective as infantry with foot combat, there is no reason cavalry should just be worse at running, given same armor weight etc,

by isolating infantry class as the only viable foot combatant relative to running speed you force players to only be able to choose that class unless they have a good team to back them up so they would never be outnumbered in foot combat,

2v1 is impossible if you are slower then your opponents and they are good at blocking because you cannot block two angles at the same time when they surround you

so introducing this slow running mechanic for other classes limits players who are outnumbered to always playing infantry to be able to survive (given the inevitability of outnumbered foot combat) and given that players who play cav and archer units can always find a way to kite infantry (given that the inf has to have a shield which makes you slower then the archer kiting him) then outnumbered players never have a chance at winning

allowing all characters to have the same abilities (speed footwise, cavalry speed, and bow accuracy) gives players the ability to participate in the skirmish (and have a chance to win without penalties,(bow isn't as bad as cav not being able to ride a mount at full speed is crippling for the same reason foot combat is) without giving up the ability to fight on foot therefore allowing players who are outnumbered to survive where they otherwise could not

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom