How does everyone feel about the recent patch?

Users who are viewing this thread

So im not going to add any of my own opinions to this thread since TW's has graced me with 3 warnings on my profile because facts hurt their feelings, how does everyone else feel about the most recent patch? Was the addition of perks a good idea or do you think it broke the balance of the game we have been helping fix for the past 2 years? cough cough nudge nudge

So im not going to add any of my own opinions to this thread since TW's has graced me with 3 warnings on my profile because facts hurt their feelings, how does everyone else feel about the most recent patch? Was the addition of perks a good idea or do you think it broke the balance of the game we have been helping fix for the past 2 years? cough cough nudge nudge
i have given up having the game i always wanted coming from the official taleworlds un-modded game

changing the fundamental basics of combat (swing speed, movement speed, damage, etc) signals the complete lack of understanding of what made the mount and blade series different from anything that has ever come out before

mount and blade is the first great physics based melee game where every movement you make matters, turning with your swing helps you hit your opponents faster, moving with your opponents strikes will hurt you less, every pound of weight you carry (armor included) makes you move slower. It is completely logical and beautiful in it's simplicity and it's implication on gameplay (a lightly armored infantry can pretty much beat all other tactics who carry alot of unnecessary equipment/ranged items)

with these new perks, physics is irrelevant, you just do more damage (or swing speed or movement speed etc) or have more utility bc of an in game option to choose from

this isn't the game i wanted or came to love with the mount and blade series

i had hoped that, given a little feedback, taleworlds would change some small things that would make a big difference (we all have different opinions on what those are obviously but some things are pretty universal like the disdain for the non-customizable classes) but we haven't seen any progression in the community requests, and in some cases they seem to of added an unpopular feature(once reverted) back into the game (crush-throughs)

with all that said the core combat is progressing positively ( outside of some exploits that hopefully will get fixed, for example kick reach was reduced and i found that to be very helpful at least in my combat experience) and is the reason i keep coming back to the series

i love mount and blade, and i just hope they change the way they are going with this recent "perk" system and revert to the old mount and blade system

with battle mode reintroduced, and popular mods/additions like the napoleon mod coming soon i really think this series will make a turn around (as long as they keep from trying to add more additions like the perk system)

thank you for all your hard work taleworlds

Last edited:
I find that the perks, or at least some, are not fully balanced. They need to rework these. I do prefer playing the game without perks, just based off of players skills, rather than enhancing the characters

I like what they did with the combat system, it feels more consistent and I felt that instantly because I'm now able to block the incoming strikes in time more often than before without practicing.

I'm on the fence if the perks with passive bonuses should even be a thing. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how exactly is that supposed to be easy to balance. But I don't have an opinion on them yet, I gotta play a bit more.

I definitely think that they overdid it with the effects though. Because it just doesn't feel right when a spearman, with the same strike is able to do more damage to an armoured horse than to the rider on it, or that a khuzait lancer with a glaive, riding at full speed does 2x less damage than a berserker with a 2h axe while standing - and all the other stuff like that.

I am happy though that the javelin meta is gone. But 2h meta is just slightly less annoying.

Of course, patch 1.6.1 introduced a lot of good changes and necessary fixes, but ...
Much to my regret, due to the introduction of the perk system and the rejection of a realistic approach to determining the movement speed of units based on physics laws, this patch greatly increased the arcade and randomness of the game. This is what is immediately visible.
But much more dangerous is that this led to a significant drop in the potential for progress in the game due to a decrease in the influence on it of the personal skills and experience of the players, and also negatively affected the breadth (freedom) of tactical choice. And now this is a completely inexplicable disregard for the basic and well-known principle of the entire gaming industry, which declares that the potential for progress, freedom of choice and realism are the main factors that determine the long-term and strength of customer loyalty to the product of developer. And I can explain the voluntary refusal of this only as a consequence of the developer's temporary loss of his vigilance, or something like an act of his self-harm.

Starting with the " profanity filter" - Didn't like it, they should have given the option to enable and disable it
The patch was a mess, talking about captain and the new perks... they removed pikes from volgiers, guards and gave it to peasants and tribals...
Removed throwing weapons from most units (rip slings) and also some 2h weapons from warriors and varyag.
They introduced this fancy new perks that don't make much sense, so after all this months, the game is still not what the players want

Some perks are good some are repetitive like some of them do the exact same stuff but have a slight addition of something with like 5% so they need to make the perks more unique and nerf two handers like Voulg / Berserker. Those things are already able to swing way too fast with broken animations and they gave it a huge huge damage increase.

I think the concept is "fine" - but I'm not happy with the current implementation (but it is only the very first version). Certainly some/many of the perks need adjusting or in some cases changing entirely.

I would very much like the passive perks to be moved to a 3rd perk slot - completely separate to the equipment based perks. That could also potentially allow players who don't like them to remove them from custom servers (if it was an option).

Captain mode oriented:
- Perks need to be balanced some more
- Perks need radical visual representation on units
- Profanity filter messes up normal words often which is annoying, needs to be toggable
- We still not have a "Give up/yield" option to stop a game after 1 last cav rambo goes in circles for forever
- Spear brace is still massively underused and does not enough damage, a good cav player outreaches you every time

Most importantly, you still instantly lose when a group goes full INF. Your setup doesnt matter at all when the enemy is snowballing you. Same goes for when your team goes >3 archer, that game is totally lost. 3 cav? Totally lost. I'm not one for restricting things, but maybe it makes sense to restrict each troop unit to a maximum use of two to spice up things, dependant on the other factions setup as well.

I haven't really come to a conclusion yet, if it's better or worse, I need more time to test it. I feel like more unit classes are viable in skirmish after the 2h meta buff. But, heavy inf can 1hit kill light inf now. In fact dying from 1 arrow hit or 1h axe and 2h happens often now. Is that good? I dunno. In captain mode I see no real difference. They said they would divide the patches, but that did not happen this time anyway. Spears have gotten much better and can kill cav faster, but cav can have a 2+ units perk now, those two perks more or less just balance each other out, I don't get what the point is then. Archers AI is still broken, they got a perk that make +damage to mounts, but AI can't hit a moving target, so it's useless, and rambo was not addressed, so no change there.

Last edited:
@AVRC It would be great if you could remove the randomness from the perks. I understand that arguing to remove perks is out of the question, but the least we can do is make the game balanced, no? Perks such as 100% bonus dmg to horses and swing speed are just a little too much.

@AVRC It would be great if you could remove the randomness from the perks. I understand that arguing to remove perks is out of the question, but the least we can do is make the game balanced, no? Perks such as 100% bonus dmg to horses and swing speed are just a little too much.
the swing speed is ridiculous,

if that one was removed i can live with the rest, its just that perk ruins the combat

Back
Top Bottom