How do you, people, level up your Trade XP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lesbosisles

Knight at Arms
Howdy, everyone!

Seen a lot of people here, on the forums, who were saying they've leveled up their trade XP up to 200-300 and so on. Usually I play as a merc->vassal->whatever it leads me further, but this time I've decided to try the merchant/smith playthrough, without participating in any wars and stuff. And you know what? Leveling up trading is SUPER BORING. It is so slow, there is no possibility to hasten it up. I have 2 caravans and 5 workshops, they bring me tons of profit, but my trade experience won't level up at all. How do you even manage to go above 175 at least? At current, it seems to me that the only way possible is using some sort of exploits or something.

@Duh_TaleWorlds why won't at least workshops bring you passive trade XP gain? Do you plan to change it somehow to make the leveling up less tedious?

Unless I am mistaken you need to make profit from selling bought items in order to gain trade experience. Owning workshops or caravans does not give any XP at all (the caravan leader/companion will gain trade XP though).

My problem with trading is that there is no "complete" game loop. I mean you can always go to Aserai and buy horses and move to Vlandia and sell them; essentially, make circles in the map. But, this is not enough for a good trader experience.

On accident, early game I might buy some cheap aserai horses and then sell them near vlandia for a 4x profit and ooops levels trade, often hard capping it at 25 on games where I don't have SOC at the start. Then later after sieg a new town, open the shop and dump in some grain and fish and meats n crap and ooops leveled trade. If I actually wanted trade at 300 I would do a "caravan trading by town" sneaky exploit things like this guy and just get it done.

IMO there's not enough game in legit trading to make it fun and it's very at odds with the constant warfar and high rewards of battle.
I like trading like in VC "I go to the wine place and buy wine and sell it at not the wine place, profit, I buy all the jewelry at the jewelry place and sell it at not-the-jewelry place, profit, repeat a few time, there now I can start to play the game!

Or WFAS "I buy all the black powder, I walk 10 feet to the fortress, I sell the black powder, repeat 50 times, now I can start playing the game"

I notice lately NPC lords will get trade skill, is this saying they bought something and sold it for a profit? Or is it just a cheat, I don't know. I wish the player could just get trad skill for selling and not have to buy low sell high.

Last edited:
Aserai horses are good trade items, but the profit is not astronomical though...better than many other items, but not that exceptional.
Buy prices usually average $900-1000 (depending on how many you buy, the more you buy the higher the cost) and sell prices rarely go past $1600 and then start dropping the more units you sell.

Profits rarely go beyond 100% and that's pushing it. In other words the best you can do is doubling your initial investment at best. I'm finding it is very difficult to support wars with the current trading system and it's very difficult to field large MC/Companion armies to defend against large AI armies.

If you guys know of good strategies to allow you to make enough money to support your wars, please share.

Thanks.

IMO there's not enough game in legit trading to make it fun and it's very at odds with the constant warfar and high rewards of battle.
I like trading like in VC "I go to the wine place and buy wine and sell it at not the wine place, profit, I buy all the jewelry at the jewelry place and sell it at not-the-jewelry place, profit, repeat a few time, there now I can start to play the game!
This is the problem with being a trader in Bannerlord there is no depth to it except buy low sell high. No trade routes to try to make, no contacts or back ally deals, no trying to sneak into a siege and resupply a city nothing because this game has all the depth of a kiddie pool.

Buy desert horses in Aserai and sell them in Battania. Repeat this forever because it´s fun...
Yep, tones of fun indeed. I never did much trading stuff, but now, when I saw what it looks like, it seems that it needs a massive overhaul. Even Smithing is less boring than this.

These would not only flesh out the trading game, but would give us a reason to actually talk with Notables!
There's no reason the two systems couldn't have some overlap. But at this point almost anything that could be added that offers some depth would be appreciated. I've tried a couple of runs as a pure trader, only fighting bandits when attack, and it's about the most tedious gameplay I can remember. Imho it's on the levels of a clicker game.

Early game i usually do runs between Pravend - OcsHall - Ostican - Rovalt, they are relatively close and have surplus products that compliment the needs of each other and some times i'll go further to southern Vlandia to get some valuable goods to sell up north when i've already sold too much of what they produce there and have to wait for them to be consumed before prices become good again, i find this route really relaxing and i get to fight some bandits along the way when i fell like it by keeping a small and mobile party and once i get bored with this i have a really good trade level and cash to fully equip myself, a few companions and get a good army going.

Howdy, everyone!

Seen a lot of people here, on the forums, who were saying they've leveled up their trade XP up to 200-300 and so on. Usually I play as a merc->vassal->whatever it leads me further, but this time I've decided to try the merchant/smith playthrough, without participating in any wars and stuff. And you know what? Leveling up trading is SUPER BORING. It is so slow, there is no possibility to hasten it up. I have 2 caravans and 5 workshops, they bring me tons of profit, but my trade experience won't level up at all. How do you even manage to go above 175 at least? At current, it seems to me that the only way possible is using some sort of exploits or something.

@Duh_TaleWorlds why won't at least workshops bring you passive trade XP gain? Do you plan to change it somehow to make the leveling up less tedious?
Buy Aserai/Desert horses in Askar, sell in Galend/Jaculan.

There's a cheeky exploit you can do by trading stuff with a caravan that's right outside of a town. Took me like 15 minutes or so to go from ~125 leveled up naturally to 300. Preparation time to get the required materials took me about 10 minutes or so.

It is very upsetting though, because leveling up trading by itself barely helps you make any more profit than you normally get, the difference between 100 and 300 feels negligible. Profits are very slow, so unless you're supplementing your denar generation with smithing or at the very least farming lords, you'll barely have enough money to purchase towns.

I've made 3 characters so far since I started playing Bannerlord, and wanted to try being rich by trading. It was slow and boring but much more profitable than being a mercenary or a vassal, considering I didn't need to pay upkeep for a large, high tier army. Then I found out about the trading exploit, and did it all the way to 300 to see if things were going to get any better. They didn't, profits were largely the same. Some of the perks are nice, like spring of gold which helps cover expenses really nicely for troops and food, but that's about it.

I wanted to buy a town, and it cost about 6 million denars. I increased the relations with the lord, and managed to drop the price to like 4 million denars or something, I don't remember the exact value. After 2 in game years of mostly trading while still trying to do other things like tournaments and some quests or whatever because I wanted to have fun as well, I had accrued a whooping total of 1.4 million denars...

I had 3 workshops producing about 300-400 denars each, one caravan that was producing in between 200 and 500 daily, spring of gold, and a fairly small upkeep of about 400 denars. So daily I was getting about 1700-2300 denars daily or so, and about 15-20k on each run selling desert/aserai horses.

So I decided it was just going to take a very long, tedious and boring grind to hit the 4 millions denars I needed to buy a town, gave up and went level smithing. Took me about 20-30 minutes to hit about level 100 and I was already crafting 2h swords that went for sale at about 25k-30k denars each.

Yup.

Leveling up trading is a joke, and if you want to get any use out of the level 300 perk you need other ways to actually make denars like smithing or lord farming. The only good things leveling trading provides is getting renown from your workshops, more carrying capacity (can't remember if those are trading or steward), and spring of gold for a fairly stable source of daily income if you already have some denars saved up without the hassle of taking care of fiefs and their garrison.

Sorry for the long and slightly unrelated rant, but trading in general needs an overhaul.

Firstly the benefits you get for leveling trading up are close to meaningless for your profits. As such, most perks that are of the "decreases your trading penalty for XYZ good", are also meaningless and barely have any effect on your profits.

Secondly, there's very few perks that are actually good. Renown from workshops, carrying capacity, spring of gold and buying settlements are the only good ones, or at least, that have any meaningful impact in the game.

Thirdly, the perks that do things like decreasing upkeep of workshops/increasing workshop production seem like a better direction for trading perks in general, in my opinion, but since workshops themselves are already not very reliable, you don't get a lot of value out of them. At least, it's very hard to percieve if they are actually having any impact on your workshops.

TL;DR

Just do the cheeky exploit to level up trade IF and ONLY IF you are looking to get the perks for renown from your workshops or spring of gold. If you're planning to level up trading to increase your profits and use it as your main form of income, save yourself the pain and don't waste any focus points on it. Too little impact on your profits for it to be worthwhile whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom