How do you manage morale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elf

Sergeant at Arms
Seriously it is very difficult to maintain reasonable morale in this otherwise fantastic mod.  For example, in my current game, I have 5 in leadership, a party of around 150 (although the maximum capacity is around 250) consists of only elves and good human, and all kinds of food.  I won a lot of battles, the small ones contributed little to nil morale boost.  If I travel from City A to a nearby City B, the morale will drop from excellent to above average or average.  Whenever I join an army, the morale is guaranteed to drop to low and several of my elite soilders quit.

The only way to maintain a reasonable level of morale seems to perform music in town.

The troubles of keeping morale kill all the fun in this mod.

Any suggestions?

Elf said:
Seriously it is very difficult to maintain reasonable morale in this otherwise fantastic mod.  For example, in my current game, I have 5 in leadership, a party of around 150 (although the maximum capacity is around 250) consists of only elves and good human, and all kinds of food.  I won a lot of battles, the small ones contributed little to nil morale boost.  If I travel from City A to a nearby City B, the morale will drop from excellent to above average or average.  Whenever I join an army, the morale is guaranteed to drop to low and several of my elite soilders quit.

The only way to maintain a reasonable level of morale seems to perform music in town.

Any suggestions?

Every mod I've ever played, even the native game for that matter, has the issue of dropping to above average when travelling between towns... it's simply by design. Further, battles which you have a clear advantage shouldn't raise moral by any significant amount.

As far as the rest of this goes, I'd like to help, but more information is needed:

I don't know what you're referring to when you say you "join an army." Adding more units? If so, are you adding them from your camp menu?

What is your race? What is your class? What is the race of your companions?

Is your faction at war with elves or a human faction from which you have units (e.g. You have Nord units and are at war with the Nords)?

Whoopstorm said:
Elf said:

Any suggestions?

Every mod I've ever played, even the native game for that matter, has the issue of dropping to above average when travelling between towns... it's simply by design. Further, battles which you have a clear advantage shouldn't raise moral by any significant amount.

As far as the rest of this goes, I'd like to help, but more information is needed:

I don't know what you're referring to when you say you "join an army." Adding more units? If so, are you adding them from your camp menu?

What is your race? What is your class? What is the race of your companions?

Is your faction at war with elves or a human faction from which you have units (e.g. You have Nord units and are at war with the Nords)?

Prophesy of Pendor is so good because you absolutely don't drop your morale from excellent to above average when travelling between towns, IIRC so is Bretwalda.

"Joining an army" refers to "Report to the Marshall".

I'm an elf (obviously :wink:), Paladin/Mage/Bard.  I don't do anything evil, not even raiding caravans.  I have almost all available companions.  I suspect as much this could be the source of the problem, though I never see signs of complaints and conflicts.

I don't have units who are at war with their origin nations.

I entertain when in a town, to keep my troops happy. Every time I enter one, I'll use it. That way, it rarely drops below 80-90. Pick the simple option and 99% of the time it will succeed, giving a nice little boost to morale. Even if your Entertain Skill isn't great, it will still succeed more than fail. I found the Lute seems to work best, out of the instruments.

It's confirmed that races of companions don't affect the morale.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,276400.msg7225351.html#msg7225351

kevinflemming said:
I entertain when in a town, to keep my troops happy. Every time I enter one, I'll use it. That way, it rarely drops below 80-90. Pick the simple option and 99% of the time it will succeed, giving a nice little boost to morale. Even if your Entertain Skill isn't great, it will still succeed more than fail. I found the Lute seems to work best, out of the instruments.

That seems to me the only way.  I don't think it's a good idea that being a bard is essential in this mod.

Elf said:
That seems to me the only way.  I don't think it's a good idea that being a bard is essential in this mod.

I never play a Bard character, and it's still quite easy to maintain. At least I've found it to be. Could well just be luck.

kevinflemming said:
Elf said:

I never play a Bard character, and it's still quite easy to maintain. At least I've found it to be. Could well just be luck.

If you add points to Entertain, you are already a Bard in this mod technically, somehow cross-classed.

Well, since there is no practical solution and the developer doesn't seem to care (I've seen Many threads having the same complaints), I will leave this mod for good.

Elf said:
Well, since there is no practical solution and the developer doesn't seem to care (I've seen Many threads having the same complaints), I will leave this mod for good.
Don't be a prick. The creator of this mod has put countless hours into it and many many people do enjoy it. There are ways to manage morale like the entertainment system or instead of complaining you could use TweakMB to change the morale value of food.

Elf said:
Dude, seriously, what the hell! Are you throwing a tantrum? Instead of making a constructive suggestion to handle an apparent shortcoming of the mod, you prefer to go the spoiled brat way. You really have not the right to act like an angry customer, if for starters you did not pay a single coin for the mod and I did not get a single coin from investing so many hours into it.

To be honest, I've never had a problem with morale of troops. Granted, I usually have an army of 90-110. I don't have many companions, so I'm not sure if they have an effect either positively or negatively. Even had elvish troops when my faction (Swadia) had gone to war with the elves.

guspav said:
Elf said:
Dude, seriously, what the hell! Are you throwing a tantrum? Instead of making a constructive suggestion to handle an apparent shortcoming of the mod, you prefer to go the spoiled brat way. You really have not the right to act like an angry customer, if for starters you did not pay a single coin for the mod and I did not get a single coin from investing so many hours into it.

Since you did not receive a single coin, you of course have the absolute right to ignore the end-users.  Good luck with your mod and future modding!

Since you did not receive a single coin, you of course have the absolute right to ignore the end-users.  Good luck with your mod and future modding!

:roll:
Ugh... if I didn't care about what the Taleworlds community thinks (or end-users), I wouldn't have opened several threads about suggestions and bug reports, would I? And even less would I bother in fixing elusive bugs and making the mod significantly better after each major installment.
My point is, you shouldn't ***** and moan about something that is:
- a beta and in development
- something that is FREE
- something whose forums are constantly being patrolled by me to see if some good suggestions have been made or some nasty, game breaking bugs have been reported.
- something that openly accepts feedback from it's users and also openly accepts resource contributions from the community

Your participations are being noted and read, but they aren't more important than anybody else's.

guspav said:

Ugh... if I didn't care about what the Taleworlds community thinks (or end-users), I wouldn't have opened several threads about suggestions and bug reports, would I? And even less would I bother in fixing elusive bugs and making the mod significantly better after each major installment.
- something that is FREE
- something whose forums are constantly being patrolled by me to see if some good suggestions have been made or some nasty, game breaking bugs have been reported.
- something that openly accepts feedback from it's users and also openly accepts resource contributions from the community

Your participations are being noted and read, but they aren't more important than anybody else's.

If you release a mod to the public, everyone who downloads it has the right to complain.  BTW you are using resources of the game that people download your mod have paid for.  You don't own the resources copyrighted by Taleworlds, such as the game engine.  Many of your designs were even borrowed from other famous mods.  You don't own this forum and the server.  If you think you have no responsibility to the public, just keep the mod to yourself.  Anyway it's called a mod because it's free, otherwise it'd be called a standalone game.

There are tons of mods available for all kinds of games, few are successful; many are crap with all kinds of bugs and shortcomings; even more promise many things but die during beta.  I never find a successful mod that has the developers telling the users,"Shut up because you don't pay for my mod!"  Good luck!  You're gonna need that.

Elf said:
guspav said:

- something that is FREE

If you release a mod to the public, everyone who downloads it has the right to complain.  BTW you are using resources of the game that people download your mod have paid for.  You don't own the resources copyrighted by Taleworlds, such as the game engine.  Many of your designs were even borrowed from other famous mods.  You don't own this forum and the server.  If you think you have no responsibility to the public, just keep the mod to yourself.  Anyway it's called a mod because it's free, otherwise it'd be called a standalone game.

There are tons of mods available for all kinds of games, few are successful; many are crap with all kinds of bugs and shortcomings; even more promise many things but die during beta.  I never find a successful mod that has the developers telling the users,"Shut up because you don't pay for my mod!"  Good luck!  You're gonna need that.
Why don't you just leave already? Its obvious you have some kind of mental problem. I hate idiots like you who get a free mod that people work on and put so much work into and then you come along with your high and mighty attitude and try to **** all over it because you didn't like something. Guess what? You are free to **** off, dumbass.

askmax said:
Elf said:
guspav said:

- something that is FREE

Why don't you just leave already? Its obvious you have some kind of mental problem. I hate idiots like you who get a free mod that people work on and put so much work into and then you come along with your high and mighty attitude and try to **** all over it because you didn't like something. Guess what? You are free to **** off, dumbass.

Obviously you get mad and start personal insults when you read points of discussions you dislike or you don't understand. So who has mental problem?

So, this thread has obviously strayed from what it should be: a q/a thread and possibly a bug  report/suggestion thread so I'm locking it. I won't reply to you, Elf, because it just seems to me like feeding your incessant and pointless trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom