How do you keep a settlement?

Users who are viewing this thread

I’m brand new to this game, didn’t play the first one and other than the “Total War” series (which I really enjoy) I’ve never played a game like this. My question is this; I’m on the part where I’m trying to meet the requirements for creating my own kingdom. One of which is that I need to capture and hold a settlement. I can siege and capture it just fine but after I’ve done that NON STOP ARMIES OF 300+ attack and attack and attack AND ATTACK. I’ve chosen places that aren’t that close to their friends or faction, and yet every time is the same thing. One time I beat 4 armies of 400-600 in 3 1/2 in-game days because I just kept sallying out because I was so mad that they can just keep spawning armies on me within a day. (No, I didn’t do that the first time. They would just continue to siege me and their numbers would always overpower me, especially since I have no siege levels and they have full trebuchets) How do I handle this? Please help!

You yourself need enough armies (=other clans/lords) to call upon. You need to convince lords to come over to your side, and that only works with enough high relations. If you don't have that you better work as a vassal of another kingdom, that way you can also get fiefs and build relations with other kingdoms.

EDIT:
Oh and of course, put a good garrison in the castle/city and train militia!

Last edited:
You yourself need enough armies (=other clans/lords) to call upon. You need to convince lords to come over to your side, and that only works with enough high relations. If you don't have that you better work as a vassal of another kingdom, that way you can also get fiefs and build relations with other kingdoms.

EDIT:
Oh and of course, put a good garrison in the castle/city and train militia!
so, if I wanted to create my own kingdom do I have to play like super slow then? Build relations with the faction I want by my side and just not worry about capturing a settlement for a really long time? Because I do a bunch of quests wherever I travel and every time I get attacked the people say they’ve heard of me and “crossing swords with me would be an honor” among other compliments. I wish they would explain better other than a quest that tells you to create a kingdom by getting 100 men and owning a settlement

so, if I wanted to create my own kingdom do I have to play like super slow then? Build relations with the faction I want by my side and just not worry about capturing a settlement for a really long time? Because I do a bunch of quests wherever I travel and every time I get attacked the people say they’ve heard of me and “crossing swords with me would be an honor” among other compliments. I wish they would explain better other than a quest that tells you to create a kingdom by getting 100 men and owning a settlement

Well, yes, at least I don't know any other successful playstyle. This is how it also was in Warband. But I just also read that when you convince other lords to fight for you, you also get their fiefs integrated in your kingdom. So that might again speed up the growth.

I’m brand new to this game, didn’t play the first one and other than the “Total War” series (which I really enjoy) I’ve never played a game like this. My question is this; I’m on the part where I’m trying to meet the requirements for creating my own kingdom. One of which is that I need to capture and hold a settlement. I can siege and capture it just fine but after I’ve done that NON STOP ARMIES OF 300+ attack and attack and attack AND ATTACK. I’ve chosen places that aren’t that close to their friends or faction, and yet every time is the same thing. One time I beat 4 armies of 400-600 in 3 1/2 in-game days because I just kept sallying out because I was so mad that they can just keep spawning armies on me within a day. (No, I didn’t do that the first time. They would just continue to siege me and their numbers would always overpower me, especially since I have no siege levels and they have full trebuchets) How do I handle this? Please help!
There was one trick that worked in Warband, kind of an exploit, not sure if it works in Bannerlord as well. What you do is, you take the place you want, have enough troops to instantly take another place just after (important that it be the same faction as you took the first place from), then their priority target will shift to the newly taken place, I dont think it works as well in Bannerlord though, because of the multiple army function, but when i did it, it split my enemy into two armies instead of one, making it far easier to defend.

Also on another note, wait until a faction is weaker, then take something from them, I waited until Khuzait was in war on 3 fronts and had taken losses, making alot of their contain mainly tier 1-4 troops.

There was one trick that worked in Warband, kind of an exploit, not sure if it works in Bannerlord as well. What you do is, you take the place you want, have enough troops to instantly take another place just after (important that it be the same faction as you took the first place from), then their priority target will shift to the newly taken place, I dont think it works as well in Bannerlord though, because of the multiple army function, but when i did it, it split my enemy into two armies instead of one, making it far easier to defend.

Also on another note, wait until a faction is weaker, then take something from them, I waited until Khuzait was in war on 3 fronts and had taken losses, making alot of their contain mainly tier 1-4 troops.
I didn’t even think of that lol. I can see how that would be an exploit. Would they just forget about the 1st one you took? Or would they come back to it after they took the other one back?

I also attacked that same faction when they had 2 other settlements sieged, and they still came at me with everything they had as if they weren’t fighting elsewhere. That’s why it was so frustrating

I didn’t even think of that lol. I can see how that would be an exploit. Would they just forget about the 1st one you took? Or would they come back to it after they took the other one back?
In Warband they almost forgot about it, it became a regular target in the, "this was once ours we would like it back" but if they had lost alot of cities it was often pushed far back. It already seems to me that lords/factions in Bannerlord are alot smarter when it comes to retaking settlements, but it did seem to put the first city i took off the prioirty target list, except for the lord whom had owned it, he came alone with his smaller army, while the factions main army came for the castle i had just taken (sadly they took that castle and then the empire flipped it while i was taking another one, so no i have an empire castle near my city) I have not played enough yet to know if it just becomes a regular target, but from what i have heard about game mechanics, factions/lords prefer to go after settlements near their border, so it would remain a target just because of that.

if you have a lot of money you can also barter for peace and use the settlement you have to build up a strong garrison by manually leveling up recruits and placing them in the settlement. this is the method i use and usually ill get enough done to have a strong defensive force the next time war is declared upon me allowing me to retaliate and take another settlement before again suing for peace. all this time you will be building up influence which you can spend to gain relation with a clan you've convinced to join yours be careful though and look at the traits of any lord you want to recruit to your kingdom as ive found any lord without the honorable trait will quickly defect unless you manage to expand extremely quickly. also make good use of the clan parties system to reinforce your own army when marching on the warpath you can manually drag them to the settlement where you've stashed the high tier troops and funnel out their weak units and replace them with the trained recruits. its slow going though which is why the snowball effect has been such a problem and is a high priority right now.

I also attacked that same faction when they had 2 other settlements sieged, and they still came at me with everything they had as if they weren’t fighting elsewhere. That’s why it was so frustrating
I think thats because of what i said, what you took was the lastest taken, making it the nr1 priority target.

I think thats because of what i said, what you took was the lastest taken, making it the nr1 priority target.
if you have a lot of money you can also barter for peace and use the settlement you have to build up a strong garrison by manually leveling up recruits and placing them in the settlement. this is the method i use and usually ill get enough done to have a strong defensive force the next time war is declared upon me allowing me to retaliate and take another settlement before again suing for peace. all this time you will be building up influence which you can spend to gain relation with a clan you've convinced to join yours be careful though and look at the traits of any lord you want to recruit to your kingdom as ive found any lord without the honorable trait will quickly defect unless you manage to expand extremely quickly. also make good use of the clan parties system to reinforce your own army when marching on the warpath you can manually drag them to the settlement where you've stashed the high tier troops and funnel out their weak units and replace them with the trained recruits. its slow going though which is why the snowball effect has been such a problem and is a high priority right now.
This was helpful, thank you

after conquering a castle, immediately run to the npc to continue the quest, and so it will be decreed peace

I must admit, first time I had to defend was fine, second i was "oh my..." as it was a 1k attacking army. However, tried barter, had enough money, succeeded.

As with above post, seen someone online via Twitch complete the quest and was at peace after that.

I must admit, first time I had to defend was fine, second i was "oh my..." as it was a 1k attacking army. However, tried barter, had enough money, succeeded.

As with above post, seen someone online via Twitch complete the quest and was at peace after that.
My first time trying it I tried the same thing but even tho I had 103 men in my army it wouldn’t let me finish the quest because I only had 99/100 troops. I think it was just a bug because I caught the castle right next to the npc on my 2nd playthrough and it gave me peace. But that’s not gonna fix my problem when I catch every other settlement ? this game is very enjoyable but man is there a huge learning curve at first lol

it looks like you have a small army, you can't just attack a big kingdom with plenty of troops. and i'm sure you're still in the process of making your own kingdom, so that tab is grey out, but you could see how much of a force they have before taking over them.
i'd say join a faction, be a vassal, get that settlement granted to you, keep it, upgrade it, befriend with other lords, stack some cash. once you own it and leave the kingdom, you have the option to keep whatever you own. they will of course hate you for it for "stealing" what was theirs. they'll start a war on you. but your settlement will be very well guarded by now with hundreds of troops and you could be safe there. you could also buy peace and get on with it. it won't be cheap though.

Back
Top Bottom