How do you increase your health/HP?

Users who are viewing this thread

I think only by adding points up in vigor and certain skills gave you a choice between more HP or deal more damage with that type of weapon. Also medicine I think has some things to do with it.
I thought this could be true but that does not seem to be the case. My character has 6 vigor and still has an HP base of 100 (103 with the perk). My friend's character has 9 vigor and also has 100 HP base (103 with the perk) so unfortunately it does not seem vigor has any effect on your HP.

I have thoroughly debunked every single one of your arguments. There was never a discussion here, it was over before it started, you've had your head up your own ass since the get go, you had no desire to think critically.
No you have not and yes there is still a discussion to be had.

You have made your argument (that HP should be static), which may or may not be true, based on how you think the game should be. If we go forward with the assumption that HP being static was indeed the intent of the developers, then the question becomes why are the perks related to health/HP so incredibly underwhelming? A perk that gives you 3 HP? Another perk that gives you 3% (which with a static HP still equates to 3 HP)? This is such an incredibly small amount that it may as well not be there at all. Small percentage increases and small values make sense for stats that increase over time as your character grows and becomes stronger, not for static constant values.

If this wasn't the developer intent and HP was supposed to increase with level, then clearly there is a bug here that needs to be addressed. In either case, we can still have a respectful discussion around it without being rude.

I thought this could be true but that does not seem to be the case. My character has 6 vigor and still has an HP base of 100 (103 with the perk). My friend's character has 9 vigor and also has 100 HP base (103 with the perk) so unfortunately it does not seem vigor has any effect on your HP.

You have made your argument (that HP should be static), which may or may not be true, based on how you think the game should be. If we go forward with the assumption that HP being static was indeed the intent of the developers, then the question becomes why are the perks related to health/HP so incredibly underwhelming? A perk that gives you 3 HP? Another perk that gives you 3% (which with a static HP still equates to 3 HP)? This is such an incredibly small amount that it may as well not be there at all. Small percentage increases and small values make sense for stats that increase over time as your character grows and becomes stronger, not for static constant values.

If this wasn't the developer intent and HP was supposed to increase with level, then clearly there is a bug here that needs to be addressed. In either case, we can still have a respectful discussion around it without being rude.
Don't mind him, he just trolling mostly with those statements, let him be.

Don't mind him, he just trolling mostly with those statements, let him be.

Leveling up shouldn't make you invincible to spears to the face, and tiny increases with no benefit shouldn't exist as they are meaningless. Character development should be impactful and logical.

There's no trolling here, just me engaging with an *******.

With other people yes, but you have to be mature enough and willing to have a discussion and Ocean Rain is not.

I'm sure we can all agree that saying "Have you even played warband?" isn't an argument, it's just embarrassing, as if the previous game is a flawless metric by which the game should exist, as if games should never innovate or improve because it was "in warband". It's not an intelligent or mature way to respond, so he won't get treated well as a result.

This was my first post to him:
```
The over reliance on HP is a problem, armor should grant protection not massive pools of HP.
People get better at fighting, they don't get better at taking throwing spears to the face, no one should be able to do that - end of discussion.
Every person should have the same HP with very little variance.
```
The entire point is clear and I guarantee you most agree - you shouldn't be able to take a multitude of throwing spears to the face at any level.

My post wasn't inflammatory, it wasn't rude, it wasn't personal, it was a statement of fact if we desire a semi-realistic system of combat.

He responds with "Have you ever played Warband" as if the only people who can believe in improvements to the Warband way of leveling - where you can go kill a few units and then go from being an amateur horseman to a maximum professional with a few button clicks - is if they didn't play the previous game.

He then accused me of not reading his post - a personal attack not a substantive argument. He is where the toxicity started because he's an immature and hateful person. Should I have dropped down to his level? No, I shouldn't, but I figured if someone's going to throw stones at me I may as well get a few arrows in.

There were 1,000,000 better ways he could've responded, he chose none of them.

Last edited:
For the record, it’s pretty foolish to claim that HP should be static for the sake of realism. This is ultimately a game and I think most players agree that gameplay should come before realism; this isn’t a flight simulator. I’d like to see other ways for the player to gain HP personally. A lot of the appeal of Mount & Blade single player combat is the ability to both command troops AND feel like a juggernaut of a combatant while you do it.

For the record, it’s pretty foolish to claim that HP should be static for the sake of realism. This is ultimately a game and I think most players agree that gameplay should come before realism; this isn’t a flight simulator. I’d like to see other ways for the player to gain HP personally. A lot of the appeal of Mount & Blade single player combat is the ability to both command troops AND feel like a juggernaut of a combatant while you do it.

I never said it should be static, I just said that it shouldn't be able to vary wildly. I'd love to see armor actually matter more, I think that huge defensive bonus should come from armor, so that the juggernauts look like actual juggernauts, rather than shirtless men being filled with spears like porcupines.

I never said it should be static, I just said that it shouldn't be able to vary wildly. I'd love to see armor actually matter more, I think that huge defensive bonus should come from armor, so that the juggernauts look like actual juggernauts, rather than shirtless men being filled with spears like porcupines.
You do realize that I've had javelins literally sticking out of my head with a plat helm on, right?

Like, based on the model, it's lodged about 5 inches into my skull. Acting like armor makes it more realistic only works if weapons are shown glancing off.

Well i believe hp is a problem i have a decent armour but still a rock in my face -6hp its like in 4hits i am dead one time i got -22 by a rock so i think yeah
you start with 100hp, if one rock is -6hp and you die in 4 hits than you must have started the battle with low health. i have only seen the -22 if i had crappy armor.

you start with 100hp, if one rock is -6hp and you die in 4 hits than you must have started the battle with low health. i have only seen the -22 if i had crappy armor.
Well 4 hits is a metaphor and i have that imperial heavy armor 50k for that armour and -22 with that i dont think so and i dont say that increase hp i appreciate the realism about armour but for me now with -22 its crappy.

Well 4 hits is a metaphor and i have that imperial heavy armor 50k for that armour and -22 with that i dont think so and i dont say that increase hp i appreciate the realism about armour but for me now with -22 its crappy.
than where did the -6 come from? i do not mean this insulting in any way but your posts are not making any sense to me.
btw the imperial heavy armor is nice but does not defend your face, so to protect against headshots you will need a helmet to go with it.

than where did the -6 come from? i do not mean this insulting in any way but your posts are not making any sense to me.
btw the imperial heavy armor is nice but does not defend your face, so to protect against headshots you will need a helmet to go with it.
Yo bro chill i know you are not insulting me so let me make it more clear and sorry i was not able to do so before.

I have imperial heavy armour with a great helmet(the one empire lords use i dont know the name) i never said about headshot with rock (in the face was a metaphor to make it funny)
I get -6 damage on chest with rock with that armour and one time i got -22 it simply does not make sense to me the -22 was not a head shot that was crazy when i saw it i know there are bugs and i am not here insult or criticize anyone i am just sharing my experience with hp and armour. I played warband and i know the max character in warband is a tank but i don't want that in bannerlord but also dont want to get -22 in chest with rock

Some people on above posts were fighting about warband and bannerlord well both game have something great in them but they are two different games. Warband u can throw feast and make a tank character and bannerlord is more realistic more big how can we forgot smithing and its still in ea so things will change.

Last edited:
That is still the case, you can buff your health to 119 and increase your armour rating and carry a shield, which will make you into a juggernaut. Or, of course, like many others you can decrease the damage dealt to you by 33% or 66%. There is no shame in that.
The possibilities are there. And as said, to get to the same levels in WB you would need to take ironflesh around six times, although I do not recall if attributes had an impact on your HP.
You also do not sacrifice a lot of damage for choosing the 3 perks for the weapon classes, as the damage bonus of said perk is not a whole lot when against both unarmoured and heavily armoured units. Tanking one more arrow however can be crucial.
You can argue though that this makes the game more gear-based, which I agree with, but it is a working system.

Simple question for you. Have you ever played Warband?
Did you even read my post that you quote?

In Warband even if you gained HP each level along with perk "Ironflesh" it took a tremendous amount of time to benefit from it - like survive one hit more. "Massive pools of HP" was never a Warband problem, so I doubt that you have ever played it if you say something like this.

The funniest thing is that in Warband people were generally much weaker along with you, so skill and armor mattered more. Now in Bannerlord NPCs are much more tanky than in previous titles, and can survive a few cuts no problem. And of top of that, almost every unit shares the same high HP pool. No matter if it is young, strong big battanian, or really old, weak grandpa.

"End of discussion" - I love those kinds of definitive statements...
Maybe in your own head, pal.
Maybe in your own head.

The discussion continues. As always.

The problem in Bannerlord is that you need sacrifice dmg to gain HP or the other way around.

Every Warband NPC just feels like 2-3 arrows to the head... or 3-4 to the body. They feel so much more like stat sticks than Warband ever did.

Yo bro chill i know you are not insulting me so let me make it more clear and sorry i was not able to do so before.
sorry it is just that people on this forum seem to get insulted very quickly if you do not agree with them or even if you ask for clarification, thanks for understanding

I have imperial heavy armour with a great helmet(the one empire lords use i dont know the name) i never said about headshot with rock (in the face was a metaphor to make it funny)
I get -6 damage on chest with rock with that armour and one time i got -22 it simply does not make sense to me the -22 was not a head shot that was crazy when i saw it i know there are bugs and i am not here insult or criticize anyone i am just sharing my experience with hp and armour. I played warband and i know the max character in warband is a tank but i don't want that in bannerlord but also dont want to get -22 in chest with rock
thanks for clarifying that, i agree the dmg does seem to be a bit random, especially for a rock. with the sword for instance the difference in dmg also depends on which part of the sword hits you, with a rock it should not make so much difference (unless they throw the stones at you as a defender in a siege, those things do not look nice)

Every Warband NPC just feels like 2-3 arrows to the head... or 3-4 to the body. They feel so much more like stat sticks than Warband ever did.
I don't think I understand your post, sorry?

In Warband, even with not mastered archery and not maxed out power draw skill, headshot was mostly fatal.
Also, you can kill a low level unarmored NPC in just 1-2 shots on the torso.
In Bannerlord everyone is a friggin tank and can survive several arrows to the torso. Headshot is mostly not fatal too.

Last edited:
I don't think I understand your post, sorry?

In Warband, even with not mastered archery and not maxed out power draw skill, headshot was mostly fatal.
Also, you can kill a low level unarmored NPC in just 1-2 shots on the torso.
In Bannerlord everyone is a friggin tank and can survive several arrows to the torso. Headshot is mostly not fatal too.

That's pretty much what I just said.

Leveling up shouldn't make you invincible to spears to the face, and tiny increases with no benefit shouldn't exist as they are meaningless. Character development should be impactful and logical.

There's no trolling here, just me engaging with an *******.

With other people yes, but you have to be mature enough and willing to have a discussion and Ocean Rain is not.

I'm sure we can all agree that saying "Have you even played warband?" isn't an argument, it's just embarrassing, as if the previous game is a flawless metric by which the game should exist, as if games should never innovate or improve because it was "in warband". It's not an intelligent or mature way to respond, so he won't get treated well as a result.

This was my first post to him:
```
The over reliance on HP is a problem, armor should grant protection not massive pools of HP.
People get better at fighting, they don't get better at taking throwing spears to the face, no one should be able to do that - end of discussion.
Every person should have the same HP with very little variance.
```
The entire point is clear and I guarantee you most agree - you shouldn't be able to take a multitude of throwing spears to the face at any level.

My post wasn't inflammatory, it wasn't rude, it wasn't personal, it was a statement of fact if we desire a semi-realistic system of combat.

He responds with "Have you ever played Warband" as if the only people who can believe in improvements to the Warband way of leveling - where you can go kill a few units and then go from being an amateur horseman to a maximum professional with a few button clicks - is if they didn't play the previous game.

He then accused me of not reading his post - a personal attack not a substantive argument. He is where the toxicity started because he's an immature and hateful person. Should I have dropped down to his level? No, I shouldn't, but I figured if someone's going to throw stones at me I may as well get a few arrows in.

There were 1,000,000 better ways he could've responded, he chose none of them.
Well you got me there, my apologies.
I think there's need to be a balance between HP and Armor Stats, like in Warband you leveled up Health with Ironflesh and Armor tend to do something relevant mitigating attacks, maybe there is just a patch incoming with this things to solve this up

Back
Top Bottom