How do you increase player cap beyond 64 on the server

Users who are viewing this thread

mckchun said:
How do you increase player cap beyond 64 on the server?

thanks in advance

Hexedit. Make a backup of your server first. Not entirely sure what the Devs will think about us doing it, but if you want an example there's the 22nd's Dutch server and my US Central server with 244 players.

mckchun said:
thanks for the info

but im not entirely sure what to do, since im not a computer science major.

it would be great if you could shed some light

Roger that. Well, its not the simplest process as it involves editing the server executable. I'm on my phone at the moment so I'm not in the best spot to be typing a tutorial. Basically you want to debug the executable while making changes to the servermax player size variable. Then when you identify the correct location, edit it accordingly.

Jest said:
What hex editor do you use?  Would you recommend xvi32 ?

To be honest it really doesn't matter. You just need a way to analyze the .exe while it's running and locate the specific bits you want to edit.

Jest- if you're the guy in charge of the JestServers_LA server, please please please set it to manual block.  Right now I think there's rarely people on that server is #1 Automatic Block, and #2 it's set to death match instead of battle or team deathmatch.

FreefallGeek said:
Jest said:
What hex editor do you use?  Would you recommend xvi32 ?

To be honest it really doesn't matter. You just need a way to analyze the .exe while it's running and locate the specific bits you want to edit.

Theres this part that isn't all that easy.

I also need some help with this! Thanks in advance.

Would perhaps be easier if someone eventually asked Armagan to simply remove any max limit on the settings and let server admins decide on their own what they want to have.

Considering that 200+ players work rather fine I don't see a reason for why this shouldn't be possible.

Skyrage said:
Would perhaps be easier if someone eventually asked Armagan to simply remove any max limit on the settings and let server admins decide on their own what they want to have.

Considering that 200+ players work rather fine I don't see a reason for why this shouldn't be possible.

I've been messing with offsets the last 8 hours trying to get this to work, with no luck, and i think he has already been asked enough times.

Find it really discouraging in such a small community that when a clan figures out how to edit server settings like player limit a tutorial is not written and information not shared.  I still cannot find out where to DL and get custom maps such as the Helms Deep v2 map run on 22nd.  For such a small community the practice is really bad.

I don't have any use for this myself, not being a server admin, but I thought it might be interesting to try...

DISCLAIMER: I don't know that much about assembly programming or the program used; so this may make your computer melt down, steal your credit card numbers, turn your computer into a monster that eats your dog, and so on.

Short version: open a copy of mb_warband_dedicated.exe (version 1.132) with a hex editor, search for the hex string "8d4ffe83c40483f9",  the next number should be "3e" (62 in decimal): change this to whatever you please; the next numbers might be "7734", and after that it should be "8d50fe83fa" and then another "3e": change this to match the other number changed. So the string should look something like "8d4ffe83c40483f93e77348d50fe83fa3e", with the ones to change marked red.

From my interpretation of the assembly code 2 is subtracted from the input value, which is then checked to be greater than the constant (3e) - if so it fails, if not it continues. So you could in theory set it to "ee" (23:cool: and the game would allow you to set values  between 2 and 240; but in practice it seems any values above "7f" (127, biggest 7 bit number, 0 based) break the code somehow so any number is taken as valid input - so you could set it to 7f and have the max players safely limited to 129, or you could set it to "80" (12:cool: or above, but then make sure you don't start a server with a max of 43,000 players or something. The server error message will not be changed - the code for that didn't look like it would be a straightforward modification of constants. I haven't tested this properly with a client, so it might crash - I'll leave it to others to find out.

I used the program Cheat Engine to find this out: I started the dedicated server without any script, ran "set_max_players 5 5", started cheat engine, attached to the server and searched for 5, set_max_players and searched again... until I found the two locations that kept matching (actually there were 3 but the last one was quite far away from the other 2, and got set to 0 on server "start"), then I right clicked on one and selected the option to see what code modifies the value, then ran set_max_players in the server window again; then scrolled up a bit and tried to decipher the assembly. I then tried to figure out the offsets for the hex editor to find the location of the code in the binary, but niether of the memory address or the "module offset" (whatever it is, exactly) were correct; so I just searched for some of the preceeding binary code, which seemed to be correct at the first match. The code I posted above should hopefully remain the same for later versions, unless taleworlds deliberately obfusticates it - apart from the "7734" bit, possibly.

Starting to wonder whether the taleworlds people would not like this to be posted... probably should have asked first. Oh well, too late. It's not like it describes how to cheat them; rather, they might get more sales from players being attracted to additional larger servers.

Knight of the Rose said:
Find it really discouraging in such a small community that when a clan figures out how to edit server settings like player limit a tutorial is not written and information not shared.  I still cannot find out where to DL and get custom maps such as the Helms Deep v2 map run on 22nd.  For such a small community the practice is really bad.

Most of the maps on the 22nd server are (last time I checked) made within the 22nd or by friends of the 22nd and haven't been released publicly. As for getting custom maps to work with the auto download, here's a shameless self advertisement link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131475.msg3167943.html#msg3167943

Back
Top Bottom