How do you guys level Roguery?

Users who are viewing this thread

I made a character that I plan on having him be "evil", basically raid every enemy village I can, execute every enemy lord I can, and raid every caravan I can.

With this in mind I put 5 focus points into Roguery as quick as I could, however I'm having a hard time finding things that actually level it. Most of the things listed that say level the skill are either seemingly stupid (I don't see the value in it) or not yet implemented from what I can tell.
- Sneak into enemy towns? That's a death sentence for me unless I save scum all the time
- Recruit and lead bandit troops? I've got a party full of them, yet to see a single point from it
- Bribe guards? I haven't had the opportunity to do this yet, is it even possible?
- Raid caravans? Ok this one seemed logical cool, I planned on doing it anyway... however I can't catch them now on the latest stable build (1.2.1). As soon as I click them they gain +2-3 speed and start booking it in the opposite direction. I chased one for days trying to herd it into a corner, and it was so quick it cut to the side and the chase began anew.

So far the only way I've found to level it is to take prisoners, and then sell them manually (the screen to actually select which prisoners to sell) which is a slow and tedious process. I've raided a bunch of villages however I haven't seen any roguery gain from that yet.

So I'm curious if anyone else has had any luck with Roguery. What do you guys do to level it? Is it even worth it? Do the perks even work?

Go fight gangs in towns. Go to the backstreet or waterfront and start a fight. That should also give you some. If you find a rogue companion you can use his perks so you can bring weapons into town to help with the fighting.

I generally don't do village raiding because, for all I know, that village might be mine next week, but the last "Battanian raider" playthrough I did it was a pretty fast Roguery gain through village raids.

Other than that, ransom seems to work very well for me as primary means of raising the skill. Not sure how much the passive loot quality bonus impacts things, though.

Oh, and once you make some decent money at the start of the game, you can blow it as Roguery point conversion by going to every single town and castle and "bribe guards" for access to nobles in keeps if there are any. That's usually a pretty fast, albeit quite expensive, way to do it.

Skill gain through leading "bandit" troops, AFAIK, is currently broken/not implemented.

You can raise roguery relatively fast by selling prisoners in taverns. And Unless it was fixed already, go to manual selection of prisoners when you do so, that way you get more Roguery skill per each prisoner.

Excellent info, thanks guys =D

Going to try that out tonight. For some reason I completely forgot about the gang leaders in towns
Just don't fight them in Aserai cities... Because, for example, in Hasn Fulq (or smth like that) gangs spawn on the rooftop and not you nor they can reach each other.

I make sure to buy as many horses as I have people, then battania for movement speed in forests. Even still caravans are extremely fast I haven't been able to catch one yet. Khuzait + full cav may be the only way to catch caravans lol

To catch Caravans, you need to think like a Highway man.

Look for warring factions then go there look for narrow passes, once the Caravans are inside they can only go back but if they already have enemies behind them there is no escape. Just stand in your end of the pass and the Caravans will que up in the other end until an enemy Lord show up behind them and goat them all into the pass then see if you can separate one to the place you want to fight him. Or go to the edges of the map and wait for them to show up, then chase them towards the dead ends.

There is a lot more but part of the fun for me was the discoveries and learning experiences, so no spoilers here. Just remember everyone needs a place they call home and they can put their head to rest. So at least smile to one factions Caravans and let them pass.

If you get dishonor, some quest givers dont trust you anymore to do work for them, like this guy accused me of wanting to steal his horses and would not let me take them to the nearest town for him, can you believe that? ?

To catch Caravans, you need to think like a Highway man.

Look for warring factions then go there look for narrow passes, once the Caravans are inside they can only go back but if they already have enemies behind them there is no escape. Just stand in your end of the pass and the Caravans will que up in the other end until an enemy Lord show up behind them and goat them all into the pass then see if you can separate one to the place you want to fight him. Or go to the edges of the map and wait for them to show up, then chase them towards the dead ends.

There is a lot more but part of the fun for me was the discoveries and learning experiences, so no spoilers here. Just remember everyone needs a place they call home and they can put their head to rest. So at least smile to one factions Caravans and let them pass.

If you get dishonor, some quest givers dont trust you anymore to do work for them, like this guy accused me of wanting to steal his horses and would not let me take them to the nearest town for him, can you believe that? ?
I'm not sure TW will implement negative trait features in the future, but as of now, if you are not goody two shoes you are punished in every single aspect of the game. Raid village? BAM, you are permanently handicapped (because you cannot do quests for them anymore neither), increase criminal level too much? BAM, that faction hates your guts, declares war on your clan (????). Got any negative traits? BAM, your already trash persuasion chances just became impossible chances. So on so forth. I thoroughly dislike that, the whole gameplay is railed by Meta and missing mechanics.

My one big complaint would be that its not as profitable as it should be.

Time is money and money's time - Warbandit infamous Rogue that met his demise with latest patch

but as of now, if you are not goody two shoes you are punished in every single aspect of the game. Raid village?
What do you mean punished in every single aspect? My dark red "Honor" got me married (critical success) with Elys! Oh wait, I am married now I see what you meant. :shock:

I made a character that I plan on having him be "evil", basically raid every enemy village I can, execute every enemy lord I can, and raid every caravan I can.

With this in mind I put 5 focus points into Roguery as quick as I could, however I'm having a hard time finding things that actually level it. Most of the things listed that say level the skill are either seemingly stupid (I don't see the value in it) or not yet implemented from what I can tell.
- Sneak into enemy towns? That's a death sentence for me unless I save scum all the time
- Recruit and lead bandit troops? I've got a party full of them, yet to see a single point from it
- Bribe guards? I haven't had the opportunity to do this yet, is it even possible?
- Raid caravans? Ok this one seemed logical cool, I planned on doing it anyway... however I can't catch them now on the latest stable build (1.2.1). As soon as I click them they gain +2-3 speed and start booking it in the opposite direction. I chased one for days trying to herd it into a corner, and it was so quick it cut to the side and the chase began anew.

So far the only way I've found to level it is to take prisoners, and then sell them manually (the screen to actually select which prisoners to sell) which is a slow and tedious process. I've raided a bunch of villages however I haven't seen any roguery gain from that yet.

So I'm curious if anyone else has had any luck with Roguery. What do you guys do to level it? Is it even worth it? Do the perks even work?

Hey man, you don't need to sell prisoners manually to level roguery, Just ransom all from the regular menu without entering the tavern.
Second, when the game says "recruit and lead bandit troops", it means recruit and lead bandit troops you recruit from the tavern. You also gain regular leadership skill if you recruit anything but a bandit type troop from a tavern.

Bribe guard - commit crimes, such as say helping a local powerful criminal acquire illegal weapons or similar, and then a guard will interrupt you at some point and you can try to bribe him if I'm not mistaken.

To catch caravans you just need horses in your inventory and/or cavalry in your company. One horse per man in your company will up the speed on the campaign map. Keep a horse for yourself too, in the inventory, as it will add to your speed as well. Not riding on the actual campaign map (as in don't equip your horse, just keep it in the inventory) only makes you 0.1 less fast than if you had the horse equipped, and you can run 7.3+ this way whilst leveling athletics as you zip and zap the across fields.

I make sure to buy as many horses as I have people, then battania for movement speed in forests. Even still caravans are extremely fast I haven't been able to catch one yet. Khuzait + full cav may be the only way to catch caravans lol
I'd like to add that only "speed" horses (and not "pack" horses like Mules or Sumpter Horses) help to speed infantry up.
Not riding on the actual campaign map (as in don't equip your horse, just keep it in the inventory) only makes you 0.1 less fast than if you had the horse equipped, and you can run 7.3+ this way whilst leveling athletics as you zip and zap the across fields.
That's really good news. I was looking for a way to raise Athletics quicker without having to battle on foot.

Last edited:
when the game says "recruit and lead bandit troops", it means recruit and lead bandit troops you recruit from the tavern.

Oh wow, I'll keep an eye out for those. I remember seeing some thugs in a tavern once, but I usually just see mercenary type troops if any at all.

Bribe guard - commit crimes, such as say helping a local powerful criminal acquire illegal weapons or similar, and then a guard will interrupt you at some point and you can try to bribe him if I'm not mistaken.

Excellent, thanks for the tip. I went to a clearing in a town and laid the beatdown on the thugs that were there, and then defended it against the gang leader, but I didn't notice anything special about that process. Do I now own that bit of turf? Am I gang leader now? Do I have to take over all the other spots? (back alleys, clearings, etc)

I'd like to add that only "speed" horses (and not "pack" horses like Mules or Sumpter Horses) help to speed infantry up.

That's really good news. I was looking for a way to raise Athletics quicker without having to battle on foot.

Yea that's what I do now. I only equip my horse if I have a battle where I want to use it. Otherwise my horse only remain in my inventory.

What do you mean punished in every single aspect? My dark red "Honor" got me married (critical success) with Elys! Oh wait, I am married now I see what you meant. :shock:
oh, you're gonna have a great time trying to persuade lords, marriage is easy, you can do it early game if you're a bit lucky, or if you save scum a bit. The big problem comes with recruiting lords, and getting permanently locked out of most quests.

Back
Top Bottom