How do you get special units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mythos

Regular
I've got a couple of crusaders, master crusaders, and blademasters in my group, but the only reason I've got them is because I rescued them from a bunch of mercenaries. They're really strong, so I'm wondering how you get them. Unless I missed something, none of the troop trees for the peasants or nobles led there, so is the only way to get them by rescuing/capturing them?

You have to build the a faction's special building in a city you own, or capture such a building from an enemy city.  In Swadia's case, it's the Cathedral.

Without owning a city with these special buildings, you're out of luck aside from recruiting from prisoners.

I have to capture a city? Damn. Well, while I'm on the topic of special units, I noticed another little line of special units that I think were Swadian. They were Earls, Archdukes, and something. Are those also gotten through that building? I've honestly never even seen them before, except in the list of troop trees I saw.

Cyntaire said:
Not being able to recruit, for example, Swadian Cathedral troops as a Swadian lord sounds a little... stupid to me. Spamming paladins/crusaders is also a bad idea, which the most recent version took a step against. But I still think, even as a mere lord, you should be able to get 1-3 paladins or other Cathedral troops a week, or so, from Praven (and of course this is interchangeable with other factions/units/unique buildings). Which is why, as a Vaegris character, in order to get an Ivory Temple of my own the only feasible choice I see is falling in line behind the Bastard and getting a town instead of a fief like I would've gotten from Yaroglek if he merely recruited me.

I try to keep up with the goings-on of the next version of NE, but I do miss a few things, sadly. I can only wonder if we'll be able to recruit Cathedral troops from Praven as a Swadian lord (just an example) in the next update. I really hope so. I like Katilus more than Isolla.

I kinda like the fact it gives you a reason to do claiment quests.

So, anyone have an idea about where to get the earls, archdukes, etc? I looked at Praven's garrison, and noticed some Earls. And about the crusader spam being bad, I don't spam crusaders... But my top-tier nobleman cavalry and my crusaders tend to wipe out every last enemy before my infantry even reach them. I just fought a vaegir lord. I had 90 men, he had 120. I play with all the damages on normal. I didn't lose a single man.

Yeah Swadian cavalry has a tendency to do that that on open field battles unless you are fighting Khergits or Dark Knights

Wait, so the paladins, crusaders, blademasters, etc AND the earl, archdukes, etc are all from the Cathedral? I thought only the blademasters and paladins were from there.

You thought wrong.  All of the swadian knight lines are extended with the cathedral.  Knight Lords and Cavaliers are also supposed to be cathedral units, and that will by all accounts be changed with the next patch.

Earls, Dukes, and Archdukes are a continuation of the Baron line, and Knight Commanders split off into either Knight Lords or Paladins.

Well, that's also based on things that hasn't even been released yet and is therefore, at the moment, completely invalid.

the only part that's invalid is the knight-lords and cavaliers are available without the cathedral(which I'm pretty sure wasn't supposed to be the case).

the rest of the units require it.

Mini Marine said:
the only part that's invalid is the knight-lords and cavaliers are available without the cathedral(which I'm pretty sure wasn't supposed to be the case).

the rest of the units require it.
Really, Knight-Lords and Cavaliers are suppose to be Cathedral units? But, Cavaliers are only as good as Paladins.

ejnomad07 said:
Mini Marine said:
I don' t make the rules.

I motion we put this guy in charge. We need a good scapegoat.

Well, as a Jew I am well versed in many facets of being scapegoated.  If you want I can submit a resume, provide personal and professional references.

I can be a play the role of either passive or combative scapegoat as the situation dictates.

Mini Marine said:
ejnomad07 said:
Mini Marine said:
I don' t make the rules.

I motion we put this guy in charge. We need a good scapegoat.

Well, as a Jew I am well versed in many facets of being scapegoated.  If you want I can submit a resume, provide personal and professional references.

I can be a play the role of either passive or combative scapegoat as the situation dictates.

You have become dangerously close to breaking Godwin's law there friend.

Godwin's Law: As an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

If it's a debate the person who draws such comparision automatically loses.

Back
Top Bottom