how do you balance cheating and gaming experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

I have been playing M&B for many years, and I found it very difficult to balance cheat or not cheat, what to cheat, what not to cheat

Now hear me out, if I don't cheat at all and start a new campaign, I will feel so boring and slow, the moving on map is so slow, I click and have to wait for 30 seconds moving cities to another city, the fighting experience sucks, I can't really fight much because I am low level and I have poor armor, money is very tight, I have to trade goods and make tiny money, I have to watch out food, watch out morals, save and load many times just to save some money and get better result.

After 1 hour playing, I feel so tired and bored, I am not young anymore, I don't have time for this bull**** struggle bec I am low level, no money, no renown, and have nothing.

but if I cheat too much, I add all the golds, troops, reknown, fighting and winning every battle, then I feel bored again, I build a kingdom in 3 hours and beat all the enemy
Then I feel emptiness , bored, no fulliness......

How you guys do it?? completely no cheating ?? cheating all the way??
what would you cheat and not cheat?? just to get a better gaming result

Edit Comments:
wow you guys are brave heroes, no cheat at all?? respect, haha, I just found it too boring in the early stage to level up and grow the skills
where I swing several times on a bandit and still can't kill the damn bandit lol
but when you are in high skill level and equip with good weapon, one swing one kill..... that's more fun to me.
haha

Last edited:
I personally do not cheat anything. The game is really not hard at hardest settings and all you need is to find better strategies to do not have any issues. I play everything on realistic without cheats and the game is pretty much beatable without problems.

Just start doing quests, tournaments, buy Wool Weavery workshops as soon as possible, spam broken archers to defeat easily the AI (it is like using cheats currently), and you will be gaining a lot of renown and money without any problem.

Maybe instead of cheating just lower difficulty settings?

My balance is cheating = 0 / gaming experience = 100

PS. I play on hardest - otherwise its no fun...

The game is so devoid of threat much of the time you'd need cheats to make the game harder if anything. Hey though, different strokes for different folks.

I don't cheat in normal playthroughs.
In some warband mods there might be something I just don't like at all and I'll change it in the text so I can enjoy the mod.
Likewise I will try particular things to see how a change feels like what if I can 100% capture defeated lord (in warband mods)?
What if inventory/poisoner management was party skill? Can I make arrows CTB? (Don't think I could ever figure it out).

In bannerlord I have only used character import export (or similar) to try perks that I can't get in the game. This isn't really playing the game though, it's just experimenting.

I might cheat by importing my current character(-money) into 1.5.7 game if it comes out soon because I feel like I will never actually build the character I want if always re-start the game. I'm tempted to do it now because TBH I regret steamrolling the NE, but I had to be vassal to get leadership so I felt stuck in that path. I've done this in warband mods too and played as if my character lost everything and traveled to a new country.

Now hear me out, if I don't cheat at all and start a new campaign, I will feel so boring and slow, the moving on map is so slow, I click and have to wait for 30 seconds moving cities to another city, the fighting experience sucks, I can't really fight much because I am low level and I have poor armor, money is very tight, I have to trade goods and make tiny money, I have to watch out food, watch out morals, save and load many times just to save some money and get better result.
Is this about warband or bannerlord? In bannerlord just go to the town and sell civ armor and swords and buy a better horse and more arrows. Then you can kill easily and get money. Once you have 5K+ you can get married and get good gear and sell extra gear for money to make party. It's super easy and fast. You can also just let you men fight for you (to raise medicine fast), I just recruit some soldiers and then steal horses (deliver the herd) so I can move fast.

Well cheating takes all the fun out of it, so it makes no sense. Judging your description of the game without cheats makes me wonder why you play the game at all if you dislike the fundamentals of the game.

I don't understand why you'd need to cheat. I start soloing groups of bandits day 1, usually by the end of an in-game month I can take 30ish steppe bandits solo with no cheating, no exploits, still having mostly crap gear, so there is simply no reason at all to cheat. I won't be that guy who stupidly tells you to 'get gud' but I think you're not really trying hard to overcome problems if you turn to cheating instead of properly thinking about how to deal with something hard.

Well cheating takes all the fun out of it, so it makes no sense. Judging your description of the game without cheats makes me wonder why you play the game at all if you dislike the fundamentals of the game.

lol I have been playing this game since 8-9 years ago, probably spend 1000+ hours on this
now I just feel like I am too old to watch the Main character to level up and grow up
it's too slow and too tedious to kill little bandit and level up , get skill exp , etc.

How exactly have you been playing this game 8-9 years while its less than 1 year old? ;p And still in early access...

Why would you need to cheat in this game? There are very few challenges. I guess I can understand when you first start off with almost no armor but once you get a few horses level up some troops to 3+ and get a bit of armor and a shield and/or a bow it becomes pretty easy. If you feel it's too hard just lower the difficulty. I don't even know what the cheats are for this game.

How you guys do it?? completely no cheating ?? cheating all the way??
what would you cheat and not cheat?? just to get a better gaming result

The most important: single player is not competitive, so play the game how you want.

I usually use cheats, and always have cheat mode enabled:

1: there are some bugs which you can fix with them. (for example if the last enemy is stuck inside a wall, and your 80 surviving troops cannot get to her. Instead of tabbing out, I just use the kill cheat to finish the battle)

2: some mods have strange design choices which I don't find fun. If possible, I use cheats and editing to go around these, and still enjoy the mod. (sometimes it is not possible, when I ususally just give up on a mod) A good example is the XP gain of troops in Viking Conquest. At the base setting the game was a very boring grind to me. After I doubled the XP gain of the troops - this is still much less than native!-, I actually had fun.

3: sometimes I use cheat mode (if available) to check out the available items during the testing phase. If there is some nice looking armor or item, which is NPC only, I sometimes get it from the cheat menu. A good example was viking conquest "horseman javelin" which has 10 or 12 javelins in a bundle. I never found them in shops, while enemies used it against me all the time. After a while I gave up with trying to buy them, and just bought them from the cheat menu.

After 1 hour playing, I feel so tired and bored, I am not young anymore, I don't have time for this bull**** struggle bec I am low level, no money, no renown, and have nothing.

I actually like the first phase of the game the most. When you don't yet have the companions you want, have suboptimal weapons, weakish troops. I find this phase much more fun than being a vassal or monarch.

Mount&Blade games are mainly personal combat simulators, with some sandbox rpg elements on top. If you don't like the personal combat and other game systems (recruitment, relationship management), cheating will not help you.

If you can't keep from cheating to win, that isn't the game problem that is your problem.

I don't see mods or even giving your char a few more points (I give my siblings and kids more points so they don't start with nothing) or even importing a char you all ready played a bit. The progression is way to slow in my book, I use Pacemaker mod to speed it up so that I can actually see my kids grow up by time I'm a clan tier 4-5.

Cheating to me is giving yourself god status, tons of money (I never had a money issue other than starting out) or insane gear from start.

It's like all those guys that compain about certain factions to strong or weak. I have zero issues fighting them cause I actually use tactics to take there advantage of heavy cav or horse acrhers away from them. I have used all ground amries with no Cav and beaten them, just pick your fights more wisely is all. It's ok to run some times......

The most important: single player is not competitive, so play the game how you want.

I usually use cheats, and always have cheat mode enabled:

1: there are some bugs which you can fix with them. (for example if the last enemy is stuck inside a wall, and your 80 surviving troops cannot get to her. Instead of tabbing out, I just use the kill cheat to finish the battle)

2: some mods have strange design choices which I don't find fun. If possible, I use cheats and editing to go around these, and still enjoy the mod. (sometimes it is not possible, when I ususally just give up on a mod) A good example is the XP gain of troops in Viking Conquest. At the base setting the game was a very boring grind to me. After I doubled the XP gain of the troops - this is still much less than native!-, I actually had fun.

3: sometimes I use cheat mode (if available) to check out the available items during the testing phase. If there is some nice looking armor or item, which is NPC only, I sometimes get it from the cheat menu. A good example was viking conquest "horseman javelin" which has 10 or 12 javelins in a bundle. I never found them in shops, while enemies used it against me all the time. After a while I gave up with trying to buy them, and just bought them from the cheat menu.

I actually like the first phase of the game the most. When you don't yet have the companions you want, have suboptimal weapons, weakish troops. I find this phase much more fun than being a vassal or monarch.

Mount&Blade games are mainly personal combat simulators, with some sandbox rpg elements on top. If you don't like the personal combat and other game systems (recruitment, relationship management), cheating will not help you.

thanks for the reply, I appreciate your comments
just curious, what other sandbox rpg games you found interesting?? any recommendation?? thanks

I did cheat in warband by exploiting the char import feature and sometimes to teleport.

I did not do one or the other in bannerlord so far. I play on, I believe very easy, but combat or campaigne ai normal or something. Well I just leave the options as they are. The game is not so easy it gets boring, I do not look for a challenge at the moment, because I want to test the game as best as possible.

spam broken archers to defeat easily the AI (it is like using cheats currently), and you will be gaining a lot of renown and money without any problem.

If archers are really broken, that's called an exploit. You can also smith like hell for an easy income. Should make the game easier. Try to find cheap hardwood, create charcoal, hunt looters smelt, everything especially those thing sgiving three hardwood. Learn to create 3 charcoal from 2 hardwood. Repeat all but the last step.
Forge something insanely above your skills, sell product for insane amount of money. Buy materials, or weapons to smelt. Repeat.

thanks for the reply, I appreciate your comments
just curious, what other sandbox rpg games you found interesting?? any recommendation?? thanks

[off]I tried a few, but I think the last ones I really enjoyed, and played multiple times were the old Fallout: New Vegas, Witcher 3, and Pillars of Eternity. Based on my experience with Obsidian, I am quite sure I would like "The outer worlds" too, but my PC cannot handle it.
Far-far from open world, but I also liked the Shadowrun games (Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong).

Not rpgs, but favorite games of mine: Xenonauts, Battle Brothers, Darkest Dungeon, FTL Faster than light, Into the Breach, Banner Saga, Invisible Inc., Slay the Spire, Curious expedition. In general, these are designed to have random elements, with multiple playthroughs in mind.
[/off]

Last edited:
I just feel like I am too old to watch the Main character to level up and grow up
it's too slow and too tedious to kill little bandit and level up , get skill exp , etc.

The early part is the most fun for me, when your party is small and everything is a challenge.

Maybe it's because I used to play Slace Invaders and Tetris, where the game would get harder and harder as it went on, not easier and easier.

No cheating (except reloading), no smithing, no tournaments, only looted equipment for me and my companions. Everybody takes the good equipment of their wifes/husbands for themselves - I throw it away. "Hey honey, look what I found on this dead guy. Would look so nice on you." And I totally hate that they still haven`t fixed the inflational item prices. Contradicts my whole playstyle.

Back
Top Bottom