How could the game be more interesting to play SP?

Users who are viewing this thread

I realize that multiplayer games depend on a critical mass of players. I had thought to circumvent this by making the game interesting to play single-player as well, but obviously there's still a lot of work to be done

I'd be curious to know what people think is most needed. It might be a case of "all of the above," but I have to prioritize something, so I'd be interested to know what is missing most.

These could be, but aren't limited to...

1. A less abstract or less opaque strategic layer
2. More variety in scenes and missions
3. Fine-tuning the individual missions, getting rid of frustrating errors
4. More personalized character development
5. More ways to interact with other human players not in a battlefield
6. Exploration, economics and other parts of the SP experience
7. Hybrid SP/MP doesn't work for you -- when you're in a single-player mood, you don't like messing around with servers, pings, or other players popping up
8. Less of a learning curve
9. A prettier or easier-to-use browser interface
10. Anything else you can think of

Well that's encouraging! Thanks! I am working on a couple of new maps and missions for a v0.5 update.

But sorry to hear about your computer. I hope you can get it fixed soon.

Personaly, I am ok with the strategic system as it is, and about the learning curve... Well it is hard as hell in the beginning, I agree, but it is actually when I was at the max level of fief and a lot of gold that I made a pause in playing, everything had become easier, and I made a lot more money by not playing than by risking it on the field...

But it's hard to see what to say, so I am just going to go straight to 10 :  :grin:
Maybe make mission that don't have any incidence on the economic/strategic system (so that it is easier to make). Like the "attack a bandit lair" on native, or "free the slave" in brytenwalda. Anyway, easy to do missions/dungeons that wouldn't require an horse, and not too time consuming; like 15 min or so.

In order to spice the variety of mission a little bit, I d'like to suggest a concept of random mission and fixed event. The random mission you could get, like randomly( :roll:) if you don't have a mission prepared. And fixed event for the times where you would like to battle against others players and you are sure they are going to be some.
Some example:

Random mission:
"Your vassal that is holding your fief in XYZ in your name has renounced his oath toward you and claimed the fief for himself!"
You don't get any money from this fief as long as you don't retake it. The harder you invested in the fortress, the harder it would be to get it back. Launching the mission should cost you to pay for your troups. You could reuse the native castle siege. Other players can choose either side.

"As you come back from your liege to your fief, you are attacked by bandits" Huge map, lots of ennemy? You would need to flee to safety.

Fixed event: "Tournament"
Every saturday at 19h00 gmt, a tournament. A regular native one, a floris one, or a custom one, I don't know.

I think the random events could give you a reason to check your account and see if something new happened, and there would be a higher attendence after a fixed event, which is also something cool to consider.

Anyway, that's it for now, I leave you to work.

Thanks for that -- I had thought about allowing players to have more "personalized" missions, hunting bandits being one of them. And it's definitely a good idea to add new layers of difficulty once players have a lot of fiefs, making you defend what you have.

I'll have a look at the Floris tournaments. I had thought about having some sort of tournament mission added to the game, but was a bit daunted by the idea of having culturally specific events -- a Latin tournament wouldn't be a Latin tournament without 1-vs-1 jousting, but that wouldn't necessarily be appropriate elsewhere. Melees, I guess, are everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom