How banners should be implemented in Bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
With the leak of banners recently I wanted to post some thoughts on the subject as banners appear to be immanent, I wanted to pitch some ideas as this is a feature that I am very excited about. Having been around the community for 12+ years I have seen a lot of great ideas from mod like Hispania 1200 that probably added the first animated banners to warband, to current mods like Raise your Banners plus. I wanted to talk what I think would be the best approach.

What Raise Your Banners + Vexillum did is by far the best approach I have seen in the last decade by any mod and should be looked at when implementing banners. I posted the information as a resource and hope the devs look at what they accomplished as it looks freaking beautiful on the battlefield and how I hoped banners would turn out. That said it will be interesting how they get implemented to include the Dragon Banner and if it has any affects on the battlefield. The Dragon Banner is a legendary banner and the quest to obtain it is long and is kind of like the Black Mace quest, so it should cause some type of morale bonus or penalty for enemies or give some buffs for the army that has it. There also should be a royal banner that the faction leader's army has that is unique from the regular armies. Also war trophies should be introduced like what was in Viking Conquest, so the more banners you capture the more bonus XP/Gold/Morale you get. I hope that the feature turns out at least as good as Raise Your Banners since it has been delayed for so long.

What do you guys think?

Banner leak here:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/beta-patch-notes-e1-8-0.452029/page-2#post-9807644

Raise your Banner plus Mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3253?tab=description

Vexillum
https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3716

MMEpnGl.jpg

I think it would be cool if banner bearers could be recruited to boost army size or something. Like Viking Conquest.

Viking Conquest had some great features for sure, I definitively stacked banners in my ranks, but I really enjoyed their war trophy feature because you would get lucky once in a while and score some very nice war trophy drops post battle.

Warhorns on charge would be amazing too.

War horns would be epic and would just be another layer of immersion added to battles. For example when you give a command to a unit to move you would get a horn sound depending on the move command issued. Of course the charge command would be the epic version!

This is a great suggestion but based on the last few implementations of good mod related ideas, I think we will see a Tale-Watered down version. Meaning we will have a few 'not great' choices and looking at the leak, that sadly seems like the case.

I like the vexillium flags better. They seem simple, effective, and could add a lot to the game without a huge implementation if they avoided the effects. But there are planned effects, so it will likely take a while longer before they have anything showing up in battles.

I'm also still waiting for more than a handful of basic banner options. Could they at least allow flags to have 2 or 3 layered icons and more than a handful of colors? For a game with Banner in the title you'd think the flags would be colorful and interesting

I just hope we´ll get some options to customize our banners (size/shape), at least when we create our own kingdom.

It will be really really hard for TW to **** up this feature and even I believe they won´t.

I hope that the feature turns out at least as good as Raise Your Banners since it has been delayed for so long.
It's amazing how humans can manage to be surprised after so much.

Why are you people expecting anything more than an equippable prop that at most might boost morale in its radius (which isn't much to boast of, NW does this with battlefield instruments).

About the leaked models, I'm not sure of the dimensions but **** those heads look heavy - along with being unnecessary and historically not widely adopted to my knowledge. Literally just a wooden pole with cloth fastened on the end and most would be fine with it. Doesn't the modeling department really have anything better to do? So once again, TW's priorities exceed any psychedelic inquiry.

It's amazing how humans can manage to be surprised after so much.

Why are you people expecting anything more than an equippable prop that at most might boost morale in its radius (which isn't much to boast of, NW does this with battlefield instruments).

About the leaked models, I'm not sure of the dimensions but **** those heads look heavy - along with being unnecessary and historically not widely adopted to my knowledge. Literally just a wooden pole with cloth fastened on the end and most would be fine with it. Doesn't the modeling department really have anything better to do? So once again, TW's priorities exceed any psychedelic inquiry.
Give me a break, as a human? What are you, part of the Lizard people race or do you identify as a cat? Seriously what an arrogant comment and you don't have any historical knowledge of the subject to top it off. A rag on a pole, what blasphemy!

The name of the game is Bannerlord bud and I would suggest learning about the subject before making ridiculous comments such as yours. Read about the Raven banner in Anglo-Saxon writings, the draco standard, the eagle standards, and Japanese war banners of the Samurai age. You are just wrong about everything.

Last edited:
I like the look of the new flag models. My only wish and hope is that there will be around 1 flag per 10 troops, and that different clans will have their flags represented in an army.

Give me a break, as a human? What are you, part of the Lizard people race or do you identify as a cat? Seriously what an arrogant comment and you don't have any historical knowledge of the subject to top it off. A rag on a pole, what blasphemy!

The name of the game is Bannerlord bud and I would suggest learning about the subject before making ridiculous comments such as yours. Read about the Raven banner in Anglo-Saxon writings, the draco standard, the eagle standards, and Japanese war banners of the Samurai age. You are just wrong about everything.
Ignore him, he loves to provoke, but fails to bring anything useful anywhere, this has made him a sorrowful bastone who spreads nothing but misery in the comments. Like a frail leaf, his glory days have withered away, and his opinions shall be returned to the murky depths of the ground from where they once sprung. And like a cycle he will be forgotten.

Seriously what an arrogant comment and you don't have any historical knowledge of the subject to top it off. A rag on a pole, what blasphemy!

The name of the game is Bannerlord bud and I would suggest learning about the subject before making ridiculous comments such as yours.
The **** are you on about. Did you even understand my comment?
Read about the Raven banner in Anglo-Saxon writings, the draco standard, the eagle standards, and Japanese war banners of the Samurai age.
How is any of that contradictory to what I said? You could maybe argue that he Roman / French Imperial eagle figurine qualifies but the evidence we have of them show they're not the lengths of pikes or lances (as seen in the artwork) but barely a foot taller than the bearer, especially if they're intended to be somewhat wieldy. The leaked models clearly have spear points so I doubt they'd lack offensive capability, but if you ****ing read my comment I'm making the point that the metal statuettes on the end of the staff would make it comically unwieldy - granted of course you assume the scale to be that of pre-release banners which is why if you ****ing read my comment I said:
I'm not sure of the dimensions but...
You are just wrong about everything.
Okey buddy.
Give me a break, as a human? What are you, part of the Lizard people race or do you identify as a cat?
Me and my respectable lizard associates take great offense at this. What year are we in that lizard-persons of ambiguous gender are deemed less than "humans"? Disgraceful.

Ignore him, he loves to provoke, but fails to bring anything useful anywhere, this has made him a sorrowful bastone who spreads nothing but misery in the comments. Like a frail leaf, his glory days have withered away, and his opinions shall be returned to the murky depths of the ground from where they once sprung. And like a cycle he will be forgotten.
damn-bro-you-got-me-memes-ef36cbd039e6852d-454fac1ba67b6cd3.jpg

The plain fact is that any mod featuring a dozen medieval dudes carrying identical banners on the battlefield is ahistorical.

Banner carrying update will be underwhelming without actual banner update, and by that I mean sigils. We need to have banners that looked like those custom battle banners in earlier versions, with multiple colours, shield divisions etc

Banner carrying update will be underwhelming without actual banner update, and by that I mean sigils. We need to have banners that looked like those custom battle banners in earlier versions, with multiple colours, shield divisions etc
+1,000,000

but I think we won't get all that good stuff, just banner carrying with light skill/morale buffs

I have been keeping an eye on this mod

Heraldry of Calradia​

Got my mods all lined up for immersion:

• Raise Your Banner Plus (Banners are animated in this mod)
  • RBM (Realistic Battle Mod)
  • Heraldry of Calradia
  • Serve as a Soldier

4165-1656580153-852248652.png

Back
Top Bottom