How are your mounted troops performing?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm slowly starting to feel like going a cav archer horde was maybe not a great idea. After fighting in tournaments and seeing how terrible AI is with mounts and seeing how badly they perform in the field compared to peasants I'm really concerned I just wasted a ton of money on cav archers. I'm using Khuzait cav archers right now, a few battles ago I watched a group of 20 cav archers run in circles around a fleeing looter for a full minute without killing him. How well are your cavalry serving you and what faction/troop tree did you go for?

I'm trying out an all-horse archer Khuzait army and I'm currently slaughtering the Imperial lords. I've taken down armies of 70, 100, and 80 with about 70 horse archers and I've only lost about 10-20 men total from those three battles.

I'm playing a Battanian campaign, and can't get horsemen to save my life.

It hasn't proven a problem at all. I was afraid that I'd get absolutely murdered by the factions with cavalry, but so far they just ram into my pathetically small army of footmen and die swift, embarrassing deaths. I thought it was funny until I gave a couple of my companions horses, and watched them do the same. People have been complaining about how clunky mounted combat feels compared to Warband; apparently the AI agrees, as cavalry seem pretty bad.

On the contrary I find the cavalry to be very powerful playing as the Vlandians. Been able to demolish armies that have vastly outnumbered me with 50 or so Knights.

I used a full cav Khuzait army and it did pretty well. Soften them up with horse archers and then get the cav into them. It's just annoying that you can't give better commands. The AI splits off their ranged units quite often and I really want my cav to first kill the ranged units instead of being pelted while they miss their melee attacks on the infantry 50% of the time.

melee horses require a lot of micro management, they can be strong.
order them to move close to the enemy you want to atack, than order them to charge the line, reform them a bit away and repeat,
if you do not do it like this than their first charge will be good, after that they will charge in again, 1 by one and die.

I'm playing a Battanian campaign, and can't get horsemen to save my life.

It hasn't proven a problem at all. I was afraid that I'd get absolutely murdered by the factions with cavalry, but so far they just ram into my pathetically small army of footmen and die swift, embarrassing deaths. I thought it was funny until I gave a couple of my companions horses, and watched them do the same. People have been complaining about how clunky mounted combat feels compared to Warband; apparently the AI agrees, as cavalry seem pretty bad.
eh with battania you just need nobles to deal with horsies and a few good infantry. the ai is not great with them. the nobles shoot half of them before they get close, once they get close you move your infantry in their path. the horsies that get trough your melee infantry die to the noble's 2h sword.

My Cav spends most it its time running into me and breaking my charge. Otherwise they're running into eachother as they all try to bumrush fleeing peasants and stabbing uselessly at them at a walking pace. 5-6 cav against a single fleeing peasant tends to take a painfully long amount of time.

They all like to attack the closest fleeing peasant... so if multiple peasants are running off in different directions, one peasant will get a dozen cav chasing him, while the group of 10 fleeing in the opposite direction will get a single rider chasing the group. Not sure why these knights think that ONE peasant is more valuable. Maybe they should all share and chase their own peasant instead of running into eachother trying to get a single looter.

melee horses require a lot of micro management, they can be strong.
order them to move close to the enemy you want to atack, than order them to charge the line, reform them a bit away and repeat,
if you do not do it like this than their first charge will be good, after that they will charge in again, 1 by one and die.
Yeah this is what I do with my Vlandian cavalry. Order them to follow me then charge in formation into the formation and then order them to follow me again to regroup. Rinse and repeat. Pretty effective.

I'm slowly starting to feel like going a cav archer horde was maybe not a great idea. After fighting in tournaments and seeing how terrible AI is with mounts and seeing how badly they perform in the field compared to peasants I'm really concerned I just wasted a ton of money on cav archers. I'm using Khuzait cav archers right now, a few battles ago I watched a group of 20 cav archers run in circles around a fleeing looter for a full minute without killing him. How well are your cavalry serving you and what faction/troop tree did you go for?
I usually don't use cavs but my companions and like 2 or 3 cavs troops are with me and we always hit-and-run and then we led the infantry charge and then ram into the enemies and finally pursue the fleeing enemies. So I think is mostly average, next playthrough I think I'll try Vlandians for their Knights just like the good ol' Swadia but with more butter.

the problem might have been that they were running circles around him the wrong direction? horse archers have a limited window if firing to one side, not sure if its the left or right side. find the way they keep firing the most, than order your units to follow you and run circles around the enemy keeping the enemy at the side your archers are firing the best at. i do not use horse archers myself but i have seen streamers use them in this way verry effectively.
but honestly if it is a single warrior running away just press f4 to tell them to hold fire and than tell them to charge, they will just finish it with melee. it is a lot harder to kill someone if it is one person moving than it is when there are 10 running side by side, the arrows are bound to hit something than.

Can anyone of you that seems to be able to get Vlandian cavalry to work, post some vids or something? I'm not understanding. No matter what they do, they seem to get completely and utterly wrecked. I've seen them killed by three recruits. Armor seems to barely do anything for them, and they die so. SO easily. And even at 69 medicine, I've got a 0.7 casualty survival chance (which feels kinda like a slap in the face for it to be so abysmally bad in terms of ratio). So when a knight dies, it really hurts.

Ive got a party with 200 cavalry units ( ca. 130 horse archers and 70 heavy cav) and its just so op. On the field cav is totally broken in my opinion because it cant be stopped effectively. They just run over infantry and archers if it was nothing. I am playing on "easy" and my army also slaughtered the double size of enemies for ease with around 50 losses. Although i think cav is way too op its pretty fun looking at hundres of arrows flying into the enemy.
But i have to agree: In tournaments the Cav AI is dumb af like in Warband. Its a bit sad but in open field its pretty well done.

My Mounted Archers perform quite well, My Regular Cavalry seem to suffer from not knowing how to aim their Spears.

I have watched as Melee Cav with spears just aim way above units as if they are on Foot as well. Which is odd, because the Enemy AI seems to have decent aim.

Can anyone of you that seems to be able to get Vlandian cavalry to work, post some vids or something? I'm not understanding. No matter what they do, they seem to get completely and utterly wrecked. I've seen them killed by three recruits. Armor seems to barely do anything for them, and they die so. SO easily. And even at 69 medicine, I've got a 0.7 casualty survival chance (which feels kinda like a slap in the face for it to be so abysmally bad in terms of ratio). So when a knight dies, it really hurts.
From yesterday to today, I played Vlandians, and the strat is to send your infrantry against the enemy and how he AI do it, is take the cavalry to another flanking position and charge them. One charge of my vlandians too out five enemies just by the mere charge since they were already weak by my troops, also they are good to hunt down running enemies.

Back
Top Bottom