House Rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Do any of you play with them to make the game more of a challenge or more immersive, and if so, what are they?

That is, special personal rules for your campaign, such as no character importing or no companion importing, or avoiding known glitches for personal gain, etcetera.

This thread might give others or yourself a few good-ideas they may have not thought of, so list away.

Mine:

1.) Only using companions who have special skills that are not met by my character or another companion.

2.) Only using the companions I actually use to go on right to rule missions, furthered by only the ones my character would actually support having been said in his name.

3.) Only raising the training skill on either my character and if not there, on a single companion only.

4.) Playing with all realism settings turned on (even walk-backwards and siege realism... ouch).

5.) Organizing my troop order so that weaker units take precedent, letting the poor spill blood before the nobles (more of a medieval custom, but I assume something similar had to be around in this period too).

6.) Using civilian clothes when not on a warpath, carrying only a side-arm for defense (it make ambushes far more interesting).

7.) Only recruiting from villages and towns I own, and mercenaries prior to that.

My guidelines.
Simple Guidelines:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Never kill innocents, unless it's necessary for survival.
[*]Respect everyone, besides those who commit ruthless actions. (Example. walking from the other
side of the land just to loot a village and go back.)
[*]Never keep lords as prisoners, unless it's on request or they have committed ruthless actions.
[*]Marry one of the better looking ladies.
[*]Never do caravan quests across the sea, cause the profit goes to pay the ship taking you across the sea.
[*]Ransom prisoners, rather then trading them to slavery. (Also more profit on this.)
[*]Wear lighter gear and a red cape, ride on a dark stallion, and wear my best looking weapons,
when not on a war campaign. [/list]
Companions and Army management
[list type=decimal]
[*]3 Companions trained to skilled warriors (High Iron Flesh, strong armour, preferably wolf lorica and good weapons.)
[*]1 Tactician(/engineer)
[*]2 Surgeons(/engineer)
[*]1 Forager
[*]45% Heavy/Elite Infantry
[*]10% Skirmishers
[*]10% Archers
[*]10% Cheap Cavalry
[*]5-10% Elite Cavalry
[*]The rest, Others/recruits
[*]1 hornman and 1 banner carrier per 50 men
[/list]

Ah yeah, realism settings too etc.

about the ladies that are availabe for marriage:

I often wondered if you folks have your favorites "wifes"
Or is it more like a random decision to you?

pity that about 75% of all ladies are damn ugly afterall

Morwen of Gwynedd, definitely my taste  :lol:
A bit light brown skin, brown hair and she liked hunting and activities like that.
If I was made out of polygons and pixels I would marry her!

It was hard to get her though, if you don't have enough relation so that her father would
allow your visits and then asks her. Her father will go mad and you need like 90 relation
with him until he allows you to marry her.  :shock:

Good that her father was a fool and got defeated and captured every time he left his castle.
Some prisonbreaks and quests and things were good between us.
Well, besides that you might have to travel to Din Eidyn and free him for him
to join the wedding and wed you.

I agree, they need to fix the women a bit, I think even 85% is ugly.
And some women are 21 and have children that are 17, which doesn't make sense.
They should make 50% butt ugly, 25% medium, 25% gorgeous. Like IRL.  :lol:

Wolfgrim said:
about the ladies that are availabe for marriage:

I often wondered if you folks have your favorites "wifes"
Or is it more like a random decision to you?

I pick based upon Culture, Location and family prominence. Example, the ideal culture is Briton, not the ones in Cornwall, northern England or Southern Scotland, inland Southern Wales is best. Why? These were the more 'Romanized' parts of Wales. And in sub-Roman Britain Wales was where most of the Romano-Britons fled to after the Anglo-Saxon incursions. Then I choose the most powerful lord in this vicinity with an eligible daughter with the preferred title of 'Guledic', which some have attributed to potentially stemming from a militant Romano-Briton office. Bonus going to lords of once Roman forts or towns.

Basically, it was better than picking at random.

My own rules:

- When on the campaign map, wear clothing appropriate for climate. If I am riding through snow, I don a green cap and try and wear furs. Before battle I will wear my normal wargear. If I am riding through the normal countryside, I wear a plain tunic.
- When on the campaign map, wear only a single weapon (ie: sword, dagger)
- When making a garrison, I try and make even numbers, usually something like 50 - 100 med infantry. I also try and leave a "commander," which is usually a cavalryman or an elite infantryman. I really wish sometimes I could garrison a companion.  :cry:
- I also like to leave an honor guard for my wife. If 50 of my men are in the garrison, I will add 10 more as part of her guard at the bottom of the party list (so they will throw down their lives to protect her when the castle is taken)
- I really try to protect the lives of my men.
- When I have my own castle, I always keep a few weapons, a few items of armor, some food, and a horse in my storage chest. (Purely RP, for the idea that I might have to bail my castle in some emergency.)
- I always walk in front of my shieldwall as the enemy are approaching and kick the shields of my own men (to make sure the shieldwall is strong  :lol:)

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
- When I have my own castle, I always keep a few weapons, a few items of armor, some food, and a horse in my storage chest. (Purely RP, for the idea that I might have to bail my castle in some emergency.)

That's not completely pointless, as if you play properly, and you're ever taken prisoner, you tend to lose all your weapons. So it might be a good way to restock.

Mooncabbage said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:

That's not completely pointless, as if you play properly, and you're ever taken prisoner, you tend to lose all your weapons. So it might be a good way to restock.

Very true. But I am a shameful quitter when I lose battles xD.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
- I also like to leave an honor guard for my wife. If 50 of my men are in the garrison, I will add 10 more as part of her guard at the bottom of the party list (so they will throw down their lives to protect her when the castle is taken)

he´s my man  :wink:

* Have fun
* Don't restrict yourself too hard
* Understand realism will never be 100% captured in any game
* Paitently immerse yourself, do not make rash decisions out of impatience. If you do, go back to editing Scenes in Native.

Yep. I take great inspiration from all these rules, and it's very easy to immerse myself in the game, adopting some of the rules to my own.

Thorgil said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:

he´s my man  :wink:
I never knew you were a woman, Thorgil. Quite a manly one at that too. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom