Hosting a Dedicated Server Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Use the module system to build a module with your added maps. then run your server with that module with the -m command with the startup. like:

mb_warband_dedicated.exe -r sample.txt -m YourAwsomeMapMod

For help on the module system and stuff like that go to the modding forums.

Xetho said:
It's not showing up on the server list still.. It still shows up in LAN. What do I need to allow through my firewall? It still kicks me instantly too. I can't find what I did wrong.. I've checked everything.
I have the same problem and other people too in this forum

Vincenzo please help us
In italian: Vincè ti prego dacci una mano!! :cry:

Although my name might suggest otherwise, i am not itallian :smile: I just love italian food, long story.

The reason why it isn't showing up is because a firewall is blocking it.
First of all create a exception in your windows firewall for your port you set in your settings.

For windows Vista/ Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/open-a-port-in-windows-firewall

For Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127

Next check your system for any virus scanners, they usually also include a firewall, search Google how to open a port on that firewall.

Also did you follow the guide part about opening a port on your router properly?

Ok so I need some help.

I followed all of the directions you set out, and I opened the necessary ports (i used the PFportchecker program, which said that it was open). However, when I put it up, it still shows up on the LAN listing, and not in the internet list. Help?

EDIT: I also made sure that the firewalls I had were allowing it through, at least I'm fairly sure I have. (I went to the security center, picked firewall, then went to exceptions and added the port in there.)

Vincenzo said:
Although my name might suggest otherwise, i am not itallian :smile: I just love italian food, long story.

The reason why it isn't showing up is because a firewall is blocking it.
First of all create a exception in your windows firewall for your port you set in your settings.

For windows Vista/ Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/open-a-port-in-windows-firewall

For Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127

Next check your system for any virus scanners, they usually also include a firewall, search Google how to open a port on that firewall.

Also did you follow the guide part about opening a port on your router properly?
thank you very much for your help Vincenzo :wink:, I did everything I open UDP port 7240 on the router, then open the 7240  firewall windows7 but nothing, the list of server my game will not look, this thing drives me crazy! ! :mad:

Is it possible that my server shows up in my list of servers and not everyone elses? I have managed to set up the server and make it pop up in my server list, but I dont know if I have managed to make it visible to everyone. I am running the mod "the Eagle and the Radiant Cross" on it, so not many people would join it anyway, atleast untill they know that there is a TEATRC server up.

Hmm, I followed your guide to the T. I'm running it on a diff PC however I followed the guide on both. Now I can get the game to show up on LAN but not the main server (I've let it run for hours and still never showed up). However, If I Unplug my router and hook my modem directly to my PC is shows up... I have ports forwarded firewall unblocked and ports and still can't seem to figure this out.

So if your forwarding of the ports doesnt work, the server doesnt pop up in the internet server list? while it does if you make it work? that could mean that I have managed to make it work  :mrgreen:

For all you people having trouble finding your servers outside the LAN, are you behind a NAT? because then you most probably will not see your server in the server list (well it really depends how the thing is technically coded) but you will see it in your LAN list. Reason for this is the very nature of the NAT which you can read more about from wikipedia. I've seen this kind of behaviour happen in dozens of games. What you need is someone that is not inside your NAT network to check for the server and test connecting there. Specially the L4D series has managed to really screw up the way people can play if they host a server inside a NATted network. Which in return is really odd since earlier versions of Source engine work perfectly.

I have a question about running the server on Linux. I don't suppose its possible to run Wine on a remote access only Linux? Also does anyone know if there are plans for a native Linux dediserver? Thank you for any answers you can provide. :smile:

Take it easy guys with the questions! :smile: I have a life aswell (I hope anyway)

Problem no1.
Server not showing up in internet list. But does show on LAN.
The problem is 100% certain some firewall on your router. did you open the ports properly on your router how the guides told you?  also open it for protocol type UDP NOT TCP!
Also you need to press the "Start Search" button in the server list otherwise your server will NOT SHOW UP!

If it still doesn't show up after that then your router is a ****ty peace of equipment and needs to die in horrible pain in your barbecue. I suggest you buy a new one...
Your best bet is to get your server hosted somewhere else, I rent out servers if your interested, you can find the topic here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,111109.0.html

Question about everyone seeing it in the serverlist:

If you can see it in the internet server list everyone can, don't worry. But everyone first has to press "Start Search" to see it.

Question about running server on linux:

I run the servers on a remote access linux box, works fine. Just follow the guide. I included all SSH commands.
They will not support native Linux dedicated server. Ever. (sadface  :neutral: ) It runs fine under wine though.

Cheers, Vinc.

Hey Vincenzo, thanks a million for the help. I finally figured out how to do it (whew!), apparently I cannot run the server from a laptop wirelessly connected. I just consorted to running it on my desktop instead, and BAM! it works. Thanks again for the great guide.

I admit that I do not know the game enough to make any proper suggestions but I will still make something to think about. I've seen many games that lack proper support for NATting and the real question here lies, can people outside your network join your server if you are running it in the same network that your playing computer is. If you run the server on the same computer as the game there might be additional problems with that. But still, the real question apart from "seeing it in the serverlist" is if people outside your network can see it in the list and join. If not, then it might be your ISP blocking traffic to certain port (sooooo many do that) ranges and whatnot.. I suggest first to go through your ISP EULA and see if it is allowed to host at all.

And thanks vincenzo, I will see about having Wine installed on my remote system..

Hmm aint working. Then again, I had these weird options to select from. Example, I had to select that what kind of connection will it open. Ftp,HTTP, https, dns etc. What should I choose? There is no tutorial on how to add warband with this router.

That's Easy!, you open up the Start_<gamemode>.bat file with notepad:
Rightmousebutton ==> ''Edit"

Then add after the starting line:
"-m <modname>"

For instance for musketmod:
"-m mm mod"

or hunt:
"-m hunt"

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom