In Progress Hosting a Dedicated Server: Back End Problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Unmodded

DasPigeon

Recruit
Here is a non-comprehensive list of problems that I have encountered while hosting a dedicated custom server for the Oceanic Community:

Feel free to investigate, or fix them if you like. I will be updating this list as I encounter them.
  1. ForcedMultiplayerAvatars directory configuration problem with full release, solution here.
  2. Provided sample config files with errors in them, e.g., ds_config_sample_siege_with_bots uses "name" instead of "ServerName" - this will crash the server
  3. When you start a new_mission within the same new_game, it will not clear some of the original arguments from the first mission (e.g., warmup time changes won’t be overridden from the initial mission).
  4. Enabling UnlimitedGold True and then UnlimitedGold False during the course of a game will cause strange anomalies to occur when players change teams, locking them to the peasant class. This can be fixed with the player(s) leaving and re-entering the server.
  5. Changing cultures at the beginning a Captain can cause asset anomalies to occur where the flags of the cultures do not change to the new cultures.
  6. Whitespace after commands will generally cause the process to crash, and kill the server.
  7. If playing a battle with player(s) on one team and bots on another, battle will not start and the mission will end.
  8. Deathmatch (i.e., FFA) does not work, and will kill the process.
  9. Sometimes the console will randomly crash/error out on startup, but re-running it will not cause the same problem. Still haven’t worked out why this is the case.
  10. Bots will not capture flags in battles.
  11. Bots cannot be used for sieges, they will not use siege equipment, capture flags, or use appropriate pathing.
  12. The mp_duel_001 does not crash with load, but it cannot function as a duel server as duels cannot be accepted by players.
  13. Loading a high number of rounds for battle (e.g., 100) will cause errors relating to integer assignment and memory overload (possible memory leak).
  14. The output of the console has issues, class types next to player names don’t refer to the class they are playing as and will change seemingly at random.
  15. The TW GUI seems to have issues which causes crashing, and I haven’t used it.
  16. Numerous maps do not work and will kill the process / server.
  17. Duel can’t be preset with a map (will error out, needs to be added to a queue).
  18. Changes to map timer during a mission will glitch out the timer for some players.
  19. DedicatedServerHelper will not update with updates to game versions, the solution is here
  20. Captain game mode will crash if there's 9 players on one team, original post here.
  21. Dedicated server will crash if too many agents die within a certain space of time, original post here (incorrectly marked as resolved). - Looks like it may have been fixed in the v1.0.1. update.
  22. Unable to kick or ban players without the web GUI, community developed solution here.
  23. People joining a match without a custom map will crash out of the game.
  24. More than 12 players will crash a Skirmish GameType, this includes players that are spectators, original post here and also reported independently on M&B Discord Modding.
  25. Tokens can only be used for a maximum of 5 servers.
  26. Highlighting flags / ALT has weapons highlighted incorrected - the temporary solution is to turn off NVIDIA DLSS.
Last updated: 14 November 2022.

Last edited:
Fellow server host here, 1+ to all of these. Thanks for writing up the list das pigeon.
It's a shame we have to mod server files / custom batch files for work arounds, and that only helps some things.

Here is a non-comprehensive list of problems that I have encountered while hosting a dedicated custom server for the Oceanic Community:

Feel free to investigate, or fix them if you like. I will be updating this list as I encounter them.
  1. ForcedMultiplayerAvatars directory configuration problem with full release, solution here.
  2. Provided sample config files with errors in them, e.g., ds_config_sample_siege_with_bots uses "name" instead of "ServerName" - this will crash the server
  3. When you start a new_mission within the same new_game, it will not clear some of the original arguments from the first mission (e.g., warmup time changes won’t be overridden from the initial mission).
  4. Enabling UnlimitedGold True and then UnlimitedGold False during the course of a game will cause strange anomalies to occur when players change teams, locking them to the peasant class. This can be fixed with the player(s) leaving and re-entering the server.
  5. Changing cultures at the beginning a Captain can cause asset anomalies to occur where the flags of the cultures do not change to the new cultures.
  6. Whitespace after commands will generally cause the process to crash, and kill the server.
  7. If playing a battle with player(s) on one team and bots on another, battle will not start and the mission will end.
  9. Sometimes the console will randomly crash/error out on startup, but re-running it will not cause the same problem. Still haven’t worked out why this is the case.
  11. Bots cannot be used for sieges, they will not use siege equipment, capture flags, or use appropriate pathing.
  12. The mp_duel_001 does not crash with load, but it cannot function as a duel server as duels cannot be accepted by players.
  13. Loading a high number of rounds for battle (e.g., 100) will cause errors relating to integer assignment and memory overload (possible memory leak).
  14. The output of the console has issues, class types next to player names don’t refer to the class they are playing as and will change seemingly at random.
  15. The TW GUI seems to have issues which causes crashing, and I haven’t used it.
  17. Duel can’t be preset with a map (will error out, needs to be added to a queue).
  18. Changes to map timer during a mission will glitch out the timer for some players.
  19. DedicatedServerHelper will not update with updates to game versions, the solution is here
  20. Captain game mode will crash if there's 9 players on one team, original post here.
  21. Dedicated server will crash if too many agents die within a certain space of time, original post here (incorrectly marked as resolved).
  22. Unable to kick or ban players without the web GUI, community developed solution here.
  23. People joining a match with custom map will crash out of the game.
Last updated: 28 October 2022.
Hi das Pigeon I have a question regarding step 22.

I have hosted a server via GTX gaming but I am unsure how to get the community solution working. Does this only work when you host thye server yourself, I do not get what I am missing

Hi das Pigeon I have a question regarding step 22.

I have hosted a server via GTX gaming but I am unsure how to get the community solution working. Does this only work when you host thye server yourself, I do not get what I am missing
You'd have to upload the admin tools to the server (and explicitly tell the server to use them on startup). If your host does not allow you to upload any files, you're out of luck.

21. Dedicated server will crash if too many agents die within a certain space of time, original post here (incorrectly marked as resolved).
  23. People joining a match without a custom map will crash out of the game.
  24. More than 12 players will crash a Skirmish GameType, this includes players that are spectators, original post here and also reported independently on M&B Discord Modding.
Last updated: 7 November 2022.
Some workarounds for those savvy with programming:
  • 4. Caused by desync between server and client. Client thinks they have enough gold to spawn as that class, server does not and defaults them to index 0. You could probably fix this server side by giving all users infinite gold, or there is a boolean variable in some of the mission behaviors that is akin to "NotUsingGold"
  • 5. This could probably be remedied by sending the MultiplayerOptionsImmediate message. That is what is used to sync most of the server settings with the client
  • 7. You can trigger a battle with bots, you just need to set the bot amount during class selection before the first round after warmup has ended
  • 18. Map/Round timers need to be updated on both server and client side. MissionStateChange network message can do just that

Duel can’t be preset with a map (will error out, needs to be added to a queue).
First of all, thank you for providing your feedback in such a concise and clear form. Much appreciated and apologies for the late response.

The above-quoted issue - this should work. Could you please clarify it?

Additionally, could you please clarify what is the problem here?
"Fixed a bug that caused a crash on custom servers if they didn't have "MultiplayerForcedAvatars" folder created."
This problem will be fix in patch v.1.1.0.

Some server crashes and dlss bugs will be fixed in this version. Multiplayers are in urgent need of these fixes. Will version 1.1.0 be updated this week?

Bots in Captains mode choose classes and participate in warmup but do not count as formation leaders, so a match with one player and 11 bots ends immediately
Hi Elrond, to my understanding bot commanders for captain were never supposed to be part of the release (there are some files about it - but it will crash the server if used).

Hello there!

We've went over all your points again so here're some updates.

1. This should have been fixed with v1.1.0. Please let us know if it wasn't.
  2. We went over the provided example config files and their correct versions should be provided with v12x.
  3. Could you please confirm you’re trying to use the console to restart the mission with changed parameters? We don’t support this at the moment but we can bring it up for discussion.
  4. This is not something that’s natively supported but can be modded to work correctly (through a mod that sends information back to the client).
  5. Same answer as above.
  6. Will discuss it internally.
  7. Bots on MP aren’t natively supported.
  8. We don’t support FFA Deathmatch.
  9. Could you please send us your RGL log/dump?
  10. Troops on Captain mode should capture flags but bots on MP aren’t supported. You may be able to create this behavior through a mod.
  11. Bots on MP aren’t supported. You may be able to create this behavior through a mod.
  12. Mp_duel_001 was not created to be used with the Duel mode (granted, the name is misleading so we may change it).
  13. The maximum supported number of rounds is 20. We encourage you to restart your servers regularly instead of running them endlessly.
  14. Version v12X introduces some changes in regard to the console logs, including class types.
  15. Could you please clarify this further?
  16. Could you please clarify which maps are you having issues with?
  17. We weren’t able to replicate this on v12X.
  18. This is not something that’s natively supported but can be modded to work correctly (through a mod that sends information back to the client).
  19. The DedicatedServerHelper module was removed with v12X (and its behaviors merged into Native).
  20. The formation system is hard coded to have a maximum of 8 formations. As such, 9 players on a single team aren’t supported.
  21. This was indeed fixed.
  22. We’re working on an in-game admin panel.
  23. Players should be blocked from joining servers if they don’t have a matching map on the client side. Please let us know if that’s not the case.
  24. This should have been fixed with v114.
  25. We increased the maximum number to 50.
  26. Is this still occurring?
Thank you for the detailed feedback, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom