MP Horses should be reared when being stabbed in the legs

Users who are viewing this thread

Currently, you can only rear a horse with your spear by stabbing it in the torso or head when it's coming towards you. However, many times I've found myself not rearing the horse and dying subsequently because I hit slightly too low and it was considered a "Leg" hit. There's no reason a horse should be completely fine from a spear thrust to the legs, but to the torso or head, it temporarily stuns.

I think spears would be in an okay spot if they had this and their "sweetspot" damage arc was improved to make it more consistent.

Rearing cone should be increased in general. Just because you hit a horse from a bit to the side you cant rear it sometimes

Ironically, I've been reared by a spear hitting the horse's legs at the back from the side.

It makes sense this would happen (on the legs specifically) and I'm fine adjusting to new mechanics if it's balanced and fair gameplay-wise.

However, I suspect the spear's effect on cavalry around the front is either reduced or inconsistent.

I don't know if anyone's made a thoroughly researched post on this topic yet, but my own vague speculations are: 1) when they reduced the spear's effect in melee (against other infantry) it brought with it a reduced effect on cavalry too, or 2) they thought players would enjoy combat on horseback the most, especially in SP, so they wanted to make that very powerful, and (not caring about balance) they reduced the spear's effect from AI bots and, by extension, spearmen in MP.

At least the proclivity for shields to absorb spear attacks around the horse doesn't seem to be a problem like it was in Warband. It's another reason why I think directional shield blocking works well just for cavalry (not infantry).

Last edited:
I would agree that rearing horses and stopping them with a spear seems wildly inconsistent. I too have stopped horses hitting them in the rear like the video shown above. It is easier to stop them when hitting their front, but other times I'm fairly certain I get a good stab off and only do something like 9 damage, it seems to be taken as a glance for some reason, horse doesn't stop and I end up getting couched/stabbed as well as knocked to the ground.

Ironically, I've been reared by a spear hitting the horse's legs at the back from the side.

It makes sense this would happen (on the legs specifically) and I'm fine adjusting to new mechanics if it's balanced and fair gameplay-wise.

However, I suspect the spear's effect on cavalry around the front is either reduced or inconsistent.

I don't know if anyone's made a thoroughly researched post on this topic yet, but my own vague speculations are: 1) when they reduced the spear's effect in melee (against other infantry) it brought with it a reduced effect on cavalry too, or 2) they thought players would enjoy combat on horseback the most, especially in SP, so they wanted to make that very powerful, and (not caring about balance) they reduced the spear's effect from AI bots and, by extension, spearmen in MP.

At least the proclivity for shields to absorb spear attacks around the horse doesn't seem to be a problem like it was in Warband. It's another reason why I think directional shield blocking works well just for cavalry (not infantry).

i think the hitbox is just fked, had the same happening to me aswell though so you can reproduce it fairly easy

Back
Top Bottom