SP Native Horse Merchant Minimod

Should I write a tutorial about how to do this mod?

• Yes, newbies need more walkthroughs!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, we have enough tutorials already.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

fisheye

I played with the mod tools and was surprised how easy it is to mod this game, thanks to all the wonderful tools provided by the developers and the community. It's almost like having the Neverwinter Nights Aurora toolset.

https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=10&id=75

So, I created this horse merchant as an exercise. It's a new location on the overland map, close to Zendar. It contains a merchant who only sells horses. But like any good used car salesman, he lets you do test drives of all 7 types of horses, from Sumpter to Charger... in a closed pen that looks suspiciously like the Zendar arena. As an added bonus, three invulnerable "hitting dummies" have been placed in the horse yard for your smacking pleasure.

In creating this mod, I learned:
1. How to create a new scene and map location
2. How to create a new merchant
3. How to write dialog
4. How to write new mission templates and new missions (not quests, just missions)
5. How to make copies of existing items with different stats (no meshing yet, learning that later)
6. How to create new characters and new troops

It was really fun!

I imagine everyone already knows all this inside out. I wrote down everything I did step by step so that I'd remember next time, and it should be easy to turn this into a tutorial if there's any interest whatsoever....

P.S. Much appreciation to Janus (repository space, installer program and crystal-clear source for Arena Mod), Khalid (town tutorial), Thorgrim (map editor), Effidian (unofficial editor), and of course Armagan (M&B module system and in-game editor). You guys are what make this game fun. Great work!!!

I actually thought of doing some similar ideas myself (horse test-runs, training dummies), but probably never would have gotten around to it. Looks like now I don't need to. :wink:

Definitely will give it a spin a bit later.

Oh, and the more tutorials and such we have for editing, the better. The currently available info is fairly sparse (the Wiki currently being added to should help there), so go for it. Trust me, there are plenty of people who enjoy working on mods but have trouble using the official python scripts.

I notice you are adding some info to the wiki. That's great especially since you've documented what you did. I'll take your mod for a spin.

sv

hmm, when you said horse merchant I thought you meant a party travelling on the world map that you could "fight with" and trade.

jellywerker said:
hmm, when you said horse merchant I thought you meant a party travelling on the world map that you could "fight with" and trade.
Why would you think that? Seemed pretty clear to me. :razz:

Anyway, just had a chance to try it out and I must say it's well done.
One minor improvement you might add to it: if the horse you're wanting to test requires a higher riding skill than you have, you could have Hamid tell you it's too much for you to handle. As it is you can show up in the testing area with no horse; you actually have it, but it isn't equipped since it requires higher skills than you have.
No big deal, but I can see it puzzling some people why they appear without a horse.

Anyway, good work. :smile:

Janus said:
jellywerker said:
Why would you think that? Seemed pretty clear to me. :razz:

Anyway, just had a chance to try it out and I must say it's well done.
One minor improvement you might add to it: if the horse you're wanting to test requires a higher riding skill than you have, you could have Hamid tell you it's too much for you to handle. As it is you can show up in the testing area with no horse; you actually have it, but it isn't equipped since it requires higher skills than you have.
No big deal, but I can see it puzzling some people why they appear without a horse.

Anyway, good work. :smile:

Oops! Yeah, I'll fix that.

Also, I messed with scn_generated_scene.sco while I was learning. Apparently that scene is persistent (I didn't know that!), so if you play my mod, in EVERY battle you fight, you will have NO access to your inventory, and also there will be two houses somewhere on a battlefield and a tall set of stairs leading off to nowhere... :oops:

Heh, yeah, it can be amusing having scene objects showing up in the exact same 3D coordinates on random terrain.

I actually had the same problem with warhorses (and other equipment) for the jousting arena in my mod, so I ended up making duplicate equipment with no requirements which won't show up in stores, with much lowered stats on the armor as well to make single-hit KOs easier.
When I was testing it I couldn't at first figure out why I was spawning with no horse or helmet, but with the jousting lance and other equipment. Talk about a one-sided battle against mounted opponents. :lol:

fisheye said:
Re-uploaded. Seems to work for me now... try again?

Seems good. I especially enjoy riding the horse around towards the dummies and see their arms move right before I jump over them

sv

Back
Top Bottom