Horse gives +1 speed in battle roster, but -1 in civilian roster

Users who are viewing this thread

I've a single guy party in my new game and I noticed this: with realistic speed, my speed without any horses and a single barrel of grain is 5.0. When I get a horse into the inventory, it shoots to 6.0. When I add it to the battle outfit, I gain +2 speed and end up with 7.0. When I equip the horse into my civilian outfit, my speed goes back to 5.0, as if there were no horses at all.

I'd expect instead the speed to go to 7.0, just like if I had the horse in the battle outfit.

I've a single guy party in my new game and I noticed this: with realistic speed, my speed without any horses and a single barrel of grain is 5.0. When I get a horse into the inventory, it shoots to 6.0. When I add it to the battle outfit, I gain +2 speed and end up with 7.0. When I equip the horse into my civilian outfit, my speed goes back to 5.0, as if there were no horses at all.

I'd expect instead the speed to go to 7.0, just like if I had the horse in the battle outfit.
I don't think the civilian side of things is fully implemented yet. I mean as of right now there the only thing you do while in civilian outfit is interact with the various city and castle scenes. There is no combat or anything like that. They just probably haven't added the calculation in to the civilian setting yet because there isn't any reason to be in civilian outfit in any circumstances where you can wear armor.

If you click the upward-pointing arrow in the bottom-right corner, you'll expand this information to include your campaign speed, and if you hover the cursor over this you'll bring up a tool-tip showing a breakdown of factors affecting your speed.

I suspect this may be that your civilian outfit comes into play only in certain scenes. It sounds like you're talking about moving a single horse around your inventory, but if not then you may have a Herd modifier affecting things -- if I'm understanding right, that's not the case. As to keeping horses in your inventory, this affects speed in two ways, by increasing your carrying capacity (decreasing modifiers relating to inventory) and also carrying troops including yourself who are otherwise on foot. So if the horse is in your inventory, you're considered to be riding it while traveling, and if you're a mounted troop then you are...considered to be riding it while traveling.... :wink:

Berzerker Jay is right, look at your speed tooltip. What you are seeing is the difference between the "cavalry" speed bonus from having a horse equipped to your battle outfit, and the "footman on horses" bonus from just having a horse in your inventory. When you're equipping that horse to your civilian outfit it is considered neither in your inventory nor equipped, so you don't get either bonus in that case.

Berzerker Jay is right, look at your speed tooltip. What you are seeing is the difference between the "cavalry" speed bonus from having a horse equipped to your battle outfit, and the "footman on horses" bonus from just having a horse in your inventory. When you're equipping that horse to your civilian outfit it is considered neither in your inventory nor equipped, so you don't get either bonus in that case.
Though it does lead one to wonder why a mount equipped to your civilian slot couldn't be used for traveling just the same, even if your battle outfit is geared as infantry. I think I'd argue that, coding limitations aside, it should be at least the same bonus as for infantry carried on extra horses.

Though it does lead one to wonder why a mount equipped to your civilian slot couldn't be used for traveling just the same, even if your battle outfit is geared as infantry. I think I'd argue that, coding limitations aside, it should be at least the same bonus as for infantry carried on extra horses.
Yeah, maybe that's worth posting as a suggestion. I guess one thing to consider is that when you travel the map with a horse equipped you level up your riding skill, and when you're on foot, you level up athletics. If equipping a horse to your civilian outfit made you considered riding, then you couldn't level athletics while also still having a horse readily available for when you entered town.

I know the way it is now doesn't make total sense, since you level athletics while traveling even though you're considered a footman "on a horse." ?‍♂️

I guess one thing to consider is that when you travel the map with a horse equipped you level up your riding skill, and when you're on foot, you level up athletics.
Very good point. I guess for this reason maybe the most it should offer is the Infantry on Horseback bonus. (I think that's what it's called.... :razz: )

Yeah, maybe that's worth posting as a suggestion. I guess one thing to consider is that when you travel the map with a horse equipped you level up your riding skill, and when you're on foot, you level up athletics. If equipping a horse to your civilian outfit made you considered riding, then you couldn't level athletics while also still having a horse readily available for when you entered town.

I know the way it is now doesn't make total sense, since you level athletics while traveling even though you're considered a footman "on a horse." ?‍♂️
It must just be from holding the reins! That's why it gives so little athletics! Really it's funny how athletics and riding skill seem to come entirely from bonking people and shooting them and not actually the riding or running :smile:
Of course it must be so or else "MOM he's just running around in circles to raise athletics NERF HIM!"

Really it's funny how athletics and riding skill seem to come entirely from bonking people and shooting them and not actually the riding or running :smile:
Though I'm happy active XP generation is higher than passive XP generation, in this case. Otherwise, honestly, I'd probably just stock my supply train with food and run back and forth on the map until Riding's up around 100 or so to start the game. :razz:

Yeah this is pretty much what I expect to happen: go into battle as a foot soldier, but travel on horse.

Back
Top Bottom