Horse Archers

Users who are viewing this thread

Crypex

Veteran
With the 1.5 updates, I have noticed that horses nullify any form of range updates that were affecting both infantry javelins and archers. Anything on a horse is basically 1.43 accuracy in a 1.5 game which makes it incredibly overpowered. This was also a problem in Warband however I feel that Taleworlds is able to fix this problem easily by just applying what they did to archers to horse archers and instead of decreasing the time needed for full accuracy by 25% to 35%. This way horse archery trades accuracy for mobility and archers are able to be reliable against horse archers. This also applies to javelins since it is also 1.43 accuracy. I think this might be an error in the code more than it is a feature in the game.

I think as a community there desperately needs to be a standard of us not using those unbalanced features. In Warband, there was a general rule of not using horse archers in competitive play and I am very confident we should implement this to current and future tournaments because this takes away any form of balanced gameplay out of the window.

You'd still manage to die with a chariot and would cry because they aren't op enough

Not with as many people and organization backing me up like you guys did for months and months. God it was pathetic. I'm just having a little tea party here compared to that.

Especially with classic thread names like "I'M DONE PLAYING NICE" or "I HAVE PRIVILEDGE, LISTEN YOU DEV PEASANTS" or something like that, don't remember exactly.

ANYWAY, back to the subject. Yes, they made horse archers completely useless and everything else really except for sword wielding and shield carrying and ground standing.

With the 1.5 updates, I have noticed that horses nullify any form of range updates that were affecting both infantry javelins and archers. Anything on a horse is basically 1.43 accuracy in a 1.5 game which makes it incredibly overpowered.

You have to download the update first. Only then play the game.

Last edited:
Yeah they pretty much left the mechanics of it alone but gave you 50 arrows and a faster horse lol. Its quite broken

Yeah they pretty much left the mechanics of it alone but gave you 50 arrows and a faster horse lol. Its quite broken

I remember when they were first trying to justify having Horse Archer to the Beta and Alpha testers, Callum and the devs SPECIFICALLY sighted that it was balanced because it had the slowest horse available in multiplayer. It is very disappointing that the original balance is being disregarded.

I remember when they were first trying to justify having Horse Archer to the Beta and Alpha testers, Callum and the devs SPECIFICALLY sighted that it was balanced because it had the slowest horse available in multiplayer. It is very disappointing that the original balance is being disregarded.

I mean that ****e just flies out the window anyways, whats to stop me picking Horse Archer, my friend picking Nomad with his fastest horse, and swapping horses? Nothing, because the classes cost the same more or less anyways.

Horse archers aren't overpowered, its just that foot archers are underpowered. The nerf hit archers pretty hard, and the low fire rate makes dealing with the highly mobile, fast rate of fire cav archers way more difficult. At the same time, horse archers were absolutely horrendous in the last patch so I do like seeing them get use now. There is now a reason for picking a bow perk over a lance perk when playing cav as a faction other than Khuzait

The funny thing is that is wasn't even true at the time. The mounted archer and nomad both had access to the Tarpan which was the fastest and most maneuverable horse in the game except for the upgraded Aserai mounts. Looking at the stats now though, the mounted archer still has the slowest horse in the game, and the upgraded version only brings it up to the quality of most regular horses, meaning it's only faster than the tough variants of heavy cavalry. The only potential horse archer that looks like it could be problematic is the Mameluke, whose horse it only really going to be run down by a Bedouin and has access to bow and arrows.

Horse archers aren't overpowered, its just that foot archers are underpowered. The nerf hit archers pretty hard, and the low fire rate makes dealing with the highly mobile, fast rate of fire cav archers way more difficult. At the same time, horse archers were absolutely horrendous in the last patch so I do like seeing them get use now. There is now a reason for picking a bow perk over a lance perk when playing cav as a faction other than Khuzait

I absolutely do not think foot archer is underpowered

Foot archer is still super easy and really effective. With 30 arrows you can get 15 kills or more if they are playing lower classes. I still believe the two most op classes are HA and cav because HA is super maneuverable and don't have the shooting delay like a foot archer. Cav is broken because of bumps, the speed of the horse and the speed of attacks on horse

I think cav is broken because speed of horse, insanely fast turning speed (this is the biggest issue), and very low risk of getting hit from melee weapons that aren't spears, as well as relatively low damage even when they are hit by those melee weapons. Though some horses can still full bump for way too long, oddly it seems like some light horses can't bump at all. But these classes are still op right now because cav is so maneuverable you don't need to bump stab to get hits on infs, you can just stop behind them and 180 into their back instantly if they are fighting someone.

HA is broken because it's natural counter should be foot archer being better at shooting than it, but horse archer is way better than foot archer. Outside of foot archers HA doesn't really have a natural counter because it can outrun other cav easily while still shooting faster than them. I'd like to see HA nerfed to be worse at shooting than foot archers, and Khuzait balanced by returning the spear infs price to 120 and making it faster (all medium/heavy shielders should be faster, but Khuzait is relatively slow even next to other shielders). Khuzait would probably still need other buffs, but removing a classes counters and making that faction rely on that class leads to a **** game balance which is what we have right now.

I think cav is broken because speed of horse, insanely fast turning speed (this is the biggest issue), and very low risk of getting hit from melee weapons that aren't spears, as well as relatively low damage even when they are hit by those melee weapons. Though some horses can still full bump for way too long, oddly it seems like some light horses can't bump at all. But these classes are still op right now because cav is so maneuverable you don't need to bump stab to get hits on infs, you can just stop behind them and 180 into their back instantly if they are fighting someone.
Cav are still at risk of getting shot by ranged whenever they enter the fight the bump or hit. You need to measure your timing and approach carefully or get lit up by ranged/thrown. Inf can set up spears in choke points or around corners to stop cav in their tracks which more often than not leads to a dismount + a kill. With the 200 gold cost across all lancers and the couch damage nerf along with this I dont think cav are as OP as everyone makes them out to be.
HA is broken because it's natural counter should be foot archer being better at shooting than it, but horse archer is way better than foot archer. Outside of foot archers HA doesn't really have a natural counter because it can outrun other cav easily while still shooting faster than them. I'd like to see HA nerfed to be worse at shooting than foot archers, and Khuzait balanced by returning the spear infs price to 120 and making it faster (all medium/heavy shielders should be faster, but Khuzait is relatively slow even next to other shielders). Khuzait would probably still need other buffs, but removing a classes counters and making that faction rely on that class leads to a **** game balance which is what we have right now.
Horse archers can STILL get shot to pieces and caught with lancers because they cant shield while they shoot. Their inherent vulnerability to ranged and other cav makes increased maneuverability their only defense against getting owned. A horse archer accuracy nerf would render the class useless as the mounted accuracy while you're moving is already bad unless you're at close range (which is where HA is most vulnerable). You need to slow down and take shots from a flanking position to make the most of it because otherwise you're a massive squishy target waiting to die. Some of the other Khuzait troops (Spear Infantry) could use a buff, but saying HA has no counters is inaccurate.

Cav are still at risk of getting shot by ranged whenever they enter the fight the bump or hit. You need to measure your timing and approach carefully or get lit up by ranged/thrown. Inf can set up spears in choke points or around corners to stop cav in their tracks which more often than not leads to a dismount + a kill. With the 200 gold cost across all lancers and the couch damage nerf along with this I dont think cav are as OP as everyone makes them out to be.
Not rlly, cav still broken. Heavy cav is the most broken despite the price, light cav is less broken but still way too maneuverable.
Biggest problem is that when cav approach any class without a spear there is still 0 risk of a cav dying to melee weapons thanks to **** animations and **** damage to cav. Cav can miss someone, come to a full stop between a bunch of infantry and turn 180 to stab inf instantly without getting punished for any of it thanks to the state of the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom