Horse Archer AI seems to be Bugged(1.5.0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, I have been playing a cav only build after doing a infantry only build and one of the beta update made it that fresh lords respawned with a ungodly amount of special heavy cav collapsing my line and killing my expensive archers. That's beside the point, I have been trying different tactics Horse, In particular making sure my horse archers don't get in melee range.

At first I would try the charge command, On small enough groups of infantry, the AI does well, circling around the infantry far enough not to be hit by farm tools. on larger collection of infantry, starting about around 40-50 they often circle too small a circle and they start getting caught and insta killed by recruits with a scythe or a fork.
The Ai for this should be improved to extend the circling circle and circle wider when more ground units arrive, I have noticed that they tend to also get sandwiched by archers or start circling the archer while the circle intersect with an infantry formation, getting murdered by the infantry.

To go around this, I tried using the advance command, On infantry archer, they will attempt to stay close to their max range, they often have to be removed from that command since they will stop shooting and start walking back when they should be supporting infantry, So I theorized that Horse archers would fallow the same behavior and stick far away from the enemy. Being on horse giving the perfect harassment while I micro my melee cav so they don't get bogged down in a 1v12(something else that should be fixed)

Sadly, more often then not, the Cav archers would go into melee range, fall back and go back into melee range, I notice this on hilly terrain, even when the hills are not big enough to break line of sight with the formation while on horse. Other times they will sit there in a square shooting and getting cliped by one side of the enemy infantry formation , suffering more losses as they eventualy try to fall back.

Yeah 1.5 made them stupid. Before that they were fine and wide circled until out of ammo on charge command. Now they need to be hand-held and it sucks.
They still suck less then Cav though.
They've been silent on the poorly received AI changes in 1.5 so who knows.

I can confirm, they seem very stupid. Prior to patch 1.5 they did their circle around the enemies. Now they start circling in a way to small radius.

It's definitely a lot worse. They get way too close and often ride around in directions where they can't fire their bow at the enemy.

They also seem to base their movements off of the average center of their formation vs the average center of the enemy formation instead of by individual unit, which just doesn't work when you have dozens of units scattered all over. Especially evident during reinforcement waves.

As it is, I can send two companions with good armor, Aserai Horses and War Bows against 6 looters on F6-auto and they'll both get knocked out more times than not. On F3-charge they'll just run to the enemy and stand there taking hits, and on F4-advance they just walk 10 feet in front of the enemy with their bows drawn but unable to shoot because of bad angle while getting pelted to death by rocks. It only gets worse with more units on either side and needs fixed ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom