Horror fiction (suggestions welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm quite sure there's a thread like this but I couldn't find it.

So, I'm looking for some good horror books of any sub-genre. Preferably not the classical thriller but let's not exclude those.
Get those suggestions up and going.

Thanks on beforehand.

The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories copyright 1987, Penguin is the publisher it isn't about vampire penguins. I suppose you have already read all of the Edgar Allen Poe stories, I think the creepiest one was the story about a wealthy young man who became a sorcerer but I can't remember the title. H.P. Lovecraft The Whisperer in the Darkness is pretty damned weird and enjoyable but that might fall under the "classic" category too like Dracula and Frankenstein.

*Deleted drunken ramblings that had nothing to do with the subject and may have been misleading.*

Thanks Saladin. I'll look into it. Starting from Penguin Books. My mum used to read lots from that publisher, it might be a bit much to hope for but I'll ask her if she has any left and maybe, just maybe, she happens to have that specific one. :smile:

Both Poe and Lovecraft are wonderful authors, albeit Poe's language is a tad too craving for me so I have to read his books translated to my language instead of English. :sad:

You could try Interview with the Vampire. Not sure if it is technically classified as Horror or Erotica (Which it was definitely not the latter).

UnholyNighmare said:
Lovecraft

This, this, a thousand times this. My personal favorites are The Shadow out of Innsmouth, Herbert West - Reanimator, The Rats in the Walls, The Lurking Fear, and of course At the Mountains of Madness.

QuailLover said:
You could try Interview with the Vampire. Not sure if it is technically classified as Horror or Erotica (Which it was definitely not the latter).

The book I recommended has stories from the 1800's up to 1987 and almost all of the stories are about vampires as hideous undead monsters, not the popular and modern sexy kind of vampire. Dracula in the original novel was motivated by sexual lust which is odd for an old fashioned vampire but he was still an ugly and repulsive animated corpse who needed to rely on his hypnotic supernatural powers to have his way with the women.

Obviously Anne Rice's vampires are more popular then the traditional folklore version I like, I just wanted to point out the difference.

To OP: I think Gerald's Game by Stephen King is one of his better books, his writing style is easy to read so  I guess it would be easy for someone using English as a second language to read it, and you shouldn't have any trouble locating a copy of it since he is so popular.

My favourite vampire novel is Kim Newman's Anno Dracula... though it's not so much horror as a Victorian period thriller crammed with every fictional vampire and 19th century figure you can imagine. Like I said, not horror, but worth checking out if you're into the more traditional (i.e. non-sparkly) vampires.

It's also recently been reprinted so it's not super hard to find anymore.

Back
Top Bottom