Horrendous state of MP

Users who are viewing this thread

While I agree theres still oppertunities to make the community grow, people wont wait forever, and casual players have already forgotten this game exists.
I think the best way to have the community grow would be to add new larger game modes or private servers as a number 1 priority. Been said a million times but really I was under the impression that private servers would be available a year from launch. Now we are approaching this time and we have yet to see much progress. Very disheartening

You literally can only play the game from a kid who made some server in his mom's basement for FREE. XDDDDD You know its bad when a MOD is more popular then your game.

You guys are lucky you can experience stuff to complain about. I still can't even log into the game. A staff asked me for my Steam profile and I haven't got a reply since. Way to give me hope just to let me down.

wrong
I don't know where you get "spin to win" skirmish games.
my experience is: it's basically a shooter game. two-handers are pathetic arrow/javelin/...'s targets

I think you are being way too pessimistic. The servers are actually relatively healthy right now - I can jump on at pretty much any time of the day and get a full siege, skirmish or captains game. If anything the servers have had more players recently then 6 months ago.

The playerbase is small though - but that's not a permanent affair. Custom servers will draw in a huge new MP community. So will multiplayer mods, duel mode, battle mode etc. Also leaving EA in general will double the playerbase overnight.

Basically Taleworlds have a number of opportunities still to see the community grow substantially - we just need to see if they can take advantage of them.
If your definition of healthy servers in playing 3v3's during peak hours, then you are correct in your assumptions. I completely share OPs view, which is not a pessimistic but rather realistic perspective on how things really are. Besides this, the success of leaving EA will greatly depend on what the state of the game is at the moment of release. We were promised a release somewhere in spring this year. If TaleWorlds release the game in spring and leave EA, then we are about to face an enormous catastrophe. The game is far from ready, partly due to the points mentioned by OP in this thread. Being hopeful at this point thinking an official game release will do much is an illusion, especially considering how TaleWorlds have been consistently disregarding mass community feedback. Nobody actually cares about whether this game is in EA or fully released, the lack of (quality) content is still there.

@darksoulshin
Two things, first this conplicated hurtboxes system you advertise everywhere you go is too precise compared to how precise you can attack in this game and making every armour like that would mean the game stays in EA for at least 10 more years.
Second, MP doesnt even use the SP armour slots and hurtboxes at all, if it says in the armory you have 50 armour, its not the average, its 50 armour everywhere. Thats too simple imo.

@darksoulshin
Two things, first this conplicated hurtboxes system you advertise everywhere you go is too precise compared to how precise you can attack in this game and making every armour like that would mean the game stays in EA for at least 10 more years.
Second, MP doesnt even use the SP armour slots and hurtboxes at all, if it says in the armory you have 50 armour, its not the average, its 50 armour everywhere. Thats too simple imo.
An interesting fact about that. The game actually does use the SP hurtboxes; just the armour is setup in a way to give a consistent value across the entire body.

The actual way this is done is by having all armour values attached to the chest piece. So for example a Vlandian Serjeants chest armour will give 50 body, 50 leg, 50 arm and 50 head armour. The armour pieces in these locations are technically only cosmetic.

This may seem like completely pointless information. However it means mod creators have the ability to use the SP armour model if they so choose. If I wanted my characters to have no head armour for example; I could remove the values from the chest piece which shouldn't be there and reapply them to composite pieces (and then remove the head slot item) - and this is actually very simple to do. This is exactly the same way this was handled by Napoleonic Wars - and I do feel the success of that Mod/DLC is what has driven the majority of the choices for MP Bannerlord.

Just an interesting bit of info relevant to what you are talking about.

If your definition of healthy servers in playing 3v3's during peak hours, then you are correct in your assumptions. I completely share OPs view, which is not a pessimistic but rather realistic perspective on how things really are. Besides this, the success of leaving EA will greatly depend on what the state of the game is at the moment of release. We were promised a release somewhere in spring this year. If TaleWorlds release the game in spring and leave EA, then we are about to face an enormous catastrophe. The game is far from ready, partly due to the points mentioned by OP in this thread. Being hopeful at this point thinking an official game release will do much is an illusion, especially considering how TaleWorlds have been consistently disregarding mass community feedback. Nobody actually cares about whether this game is in EA or fully released, the lack of (quality) content is still there.
I am extremely confident the game will not be released in 2021. I would even go as far to say it is looking doubtful for 2022. Their current guidance on this is they won't stick to deadlines. The game is ready when it is ready. Well if you look at the SP & MP upcoming content threads - they have a lot to get through first and given their pace of work it is certain we won't be seeing these by spring this year. There was a thread recently that asked ETA on end of EA and the response was (as expected) - We have no ETA for this.

As I have often said; the longer this game stays in EA the better. The end of EA will give it a second-wind (as is normal with EA games). Bannerlord needs to be ready for that.

Last edited:
The MP is hitting the dust soon, and not the TW soon
It's not though; infact they just opened a second EU siege server as the main one is usually packed. Player numbers are far from exciting but by all accounts (at least on EU) seem to be growing.

That's not to say the MP is anything but direly bare-bones right now. But the community is there and the demand remains. I really wish we could get stats for this; we could look at total player count - but that means little.

This is all pointless semantics anyway though. Either TW get MP up and running - or it will eventually die off as you say (even if it will take longer then you think IMPO). They still have some decent cards to play (Duels, Battle Mode, Custom Servers, MP Mods, EA Release) - they just need to play them right.

I continue to hope/believe that TW are holding back some things for a big MP Release at some point. For example we know cosmetics and a 3rd perk slot are coming at some point. I wonder if they plan to drop this alongside battle and maybe even custom servers as like a MP 2.0 release. Who knows?!

Last edited:
The MP is hitting the dust soon, and not the TW soon
Soon? We're talking about a game that has 12k players on average, and less than 150-200 players are on multiplayer at any given moment. That is extremely bad, I'd say multiplayer hit the dust a long time ago.

Imo absolutely nothing Taleworlds does will revive Native multiplayer. I think it's a done deal unless they were to do something completely out of left field similar to what Bannerlord Online is doing (which definitely won't happen).

Only thing that can revive Bannerlord Multiplayer is private servers and modding.

It's not though; infact they just opened a second EU siege server as the main one is usually packed. Player numbers are far from exciting but by all accounts (at least on EU) seem to be growing.

That's not to say the MP is anything but direly bare-bones right now. But the community is there and the demand remains. I really wish we could get stats for this; we could look at total player count - but that means little.

This is all pointless semantics anyway though. Either TW get MP up and running - or it will eventually die off as you say (even if it will take longer then you think IMPO). They still have some decent cards to play (Duels, Battle Mode, Custom Servers, MP Mods, EA Release) - they just need to play them right.

I continue to hope/believe that TW are holding back some things for a big MP Release at some point. For example we know cosmetics and a 3rd perk slot are coming at some point. I wonder if they plan to drop this alongside battle and maybe even custom servers as like a MP 2.0 release. Who knows?!
I wish I had your unending optimism but that ship sailed a long time ago. The cards they have left to play as you say, are the same **** I can go play in Warband at this point, with an (IMO) better combat system. There isn't any upgrade here, only catching up to the prequel they released 10 years ago. The only thing I'm excited for now is the development of "Bannerlord Online", and IMO that is exactly the kind of thing they should have been working on for multiplayer.

@darksoulshin
It all depends on the size of the uncovered hurtboxes.
The smaller they are, the greater the accuracy required.
So saying "they are too precise" is an a priori statement based on a measure of the hurtboxes that I have not written and that you certainly have not measured.
That it is generally more difficult to hit them is the purpose of my proposal.
The game allows you to attack on 3 axes and infinite horizontal and vertical planes, so in theory you can aim at all points.
The difficulty depends on the type of equipment and how many pieces of equipment you wear.

Regarding the armor in the MP, they have different slots, but they are assigned the same armor value as you say.
Multiplayer should reward the player's skills in waiting for the enemy to discover their defense and then attacking it accurately.
With the current system it rewards dancers and spam.

Do you prefer dancers and spam or more depth of gameplay?
Even if you enter only the localization of the damage (therefore differentiating the armor values in the few slots), the problem would persist because the number of hurtboxes is too low and does not require much precision, so spam and dancer are still rewarded.
If you have a TRUE solution, propose it.
I have proposed it and I do not deny that it is not radical.
But if we want to go ahead with a 40-year-old armor system hoping it will do something different, then we don't have to complain about it, as I see in the forum reading posts everywhere that read "paper armor", "archer too op", "javelin too op "," cavalry sucks "etc ... all problems that depend on the same factor: the armor system.

If they didn't get rid of buying your own equipment they wouldn't have to try to balance the classes for 3 very different modes as people would just buy depending on the mode, just like how it worked in warband. Why they got rid of that tried and tested overwealmingly popular on steam system is beyond me.

Whoever decided the nap wars system would work with native, time to own up to that mistake. Bannerlords dying, act fact.

If they didn't get rid of buying your own equipment they wouldn't have to try to balance the classes for 3 very different modes as people would just buy depending on the mode, just like how it worked in warband. Why they got rid of that tried and tested overwealmingly popular on steam system is beyond me.

Whoever decided the nap wars system would work with native, time to own up to that mistake. Bannerlords dying, act fact.
Bannerlord MP is slow because there is a limited pool of map/game modes. The game kicks you out of the lobby after every round and there are no custom servers or MP mods. Not to mention crashes and balance concerns.

I refuse to believe this concept that picking your armour from a pool of options would somehow fix all the games issues.

They still have some decent cards to play (Duels, Battle Mode, Custom Servers, MP Mods, EA Release) - they just need to play them right.

Only thing that can revive Bannerlord Multiplayer is private servers and modding.

TaleWorlds has their one card to play, which is allowing modders to do their things and make custom servers a great place. The actual decent cards are to be played by modders and how they revive this game's multiplayer, not by TaleWorlds themselves.

TaleWorlds has their one card to play, which is allowing modders to do their things and make custom servers a great place. The actual decent cards are to be played by modders and how they revive this game's multiplayer, not by TaleWorlds themselves.
Warband had a very similar dynamic...even native wasn't really native anymore - with NeoGK additions like Vehicles, siege weapons and a larger armoury.

Warband had a very similar dynamic...even native wasn't really native anymore - with NeoGK additions like Vehicles, siege weapons and a larger armoury.
Yes. However, there are more impactful things we might expect from modders, including but not limited to combat specific changes. There are threads about this where all desired changes were presented to Developers, though we have yet to see anything happen with it. I am positive that modders will revive this game, the most important thing we need from TaleWorlds is to provide the modding tools and custom servers.

Back
Top Bottom