Hmmm, I really really want to target troops at other troop groups, I want to feel in COMMAND, I hate the AI

Users who are viewing this thread

Joking aside, it boggles the mind if some failed anime game can do it, why can't Mount and Blade?
These kinds of features get added during EA as devs, emerging from their "vision"/groupthink cocoon, realize how players want to play the game.

The larger the battle size and the battle, the lesser the player impact. So, the "best" way to play Mount and Blade is to be a commander until all the maneuvering is done and the battle is joined and then personally help your guys who have the hardest task.
Conversely, if you only want to be soldier (and sadly many FPS people do), you have to be able to turn over command to a capable AI (another area that needs work).
Edit: before you say it, exploits where you Rambo the whole enemy force should not be possible and need dev attention too.
With the reinforcements spawns in very large battles, you cannot stop commanding to go help your guys, i would say not before the last waves of reinforcements have arrived.
I never F6 before the finishing phase of the battle. Before that l’m controlling infantry moves to protect archers (thanks F4 for the ammo use).
So it will finish probably with F3, but not before the ennemy is routed (and no risk of ennemy spawning at a the back of my archers or whatever is not proper for victory and minimize casualties)

I never understood why anyone could condone or request AI autonomy like this in a game where the major feature was control. When the AI is exceptionally stupid, it makes the request/decision even more bizarre. It could go miles if we could have more control over the AI in battle, a bit like Total War. It is very frustrating to try and put men into positions and just hope to Jesus the dumb AI won't screw it up too bad. We need more Total War-like features implemented asap.

Yes definitely, I'm controlling archers and I want them to attack these specific troops, but they only want to attack from their line of sight or to whoever they want. This is also for mp on captain mode, ordering you troops to attack specifically, also what weapons to use, needs to be implemented.

I never understood why anyone could condone or request AI autonomy like this in a game where the major feature was control. When the AI is exceptionally stupid, it makes the request/decision even more bizarre. It could go miles if we could have more control over the AI in battle, a bit like Total War. It is very frustrating to try and put men into positions and just hope to Jesus the dumb AI won't screw it up too bad. We need more Total War-like features implemented asap.

I think that the only real solution is something like the RTS camera mod integrated into the main game.

As it stands, the AI makes strange and often ill advised moves. The problem is that the current command system lacks the level of precision and control that many players clearly are looking for. RTs Camera, maybe someday when combined with the Order of Battle system that TW shows in their roadmap, could provide the necessary level of precision.

In order to justify a doctrine against micromanagement, you have to have competent AI, which of course TW in all their glorious vision, don't think is necessary either. There are games that discourage micromanagement but are still extremely well designed, like Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front, but that game has pretty good AI, where platoons will take defensive positions, take paths that obscure their position, and execute fire and maneuver movements extremely well without you touching anything, but even then that game allows you to micromanage a lot of things, though limits how rapidly you can do it. With Bannerlord it's just a nightmare when the AI can't tell the difference between their face and their ass coupled with you feeling as if you have no control.

It makes it more challenging, you know. :lol:
Why is it that I feel like this is what they tell themselves in regards to this issue? I'd bet their reasoning behind not having control of your troops is "It makes the game more challenging and yet accessible at the same time, wow, we're so good at designing our vision". If the player could actually control things to the desirable level, the AI would probably always get smashed no matter the odds because of how poor it is. But that's no excuse for this dumb design. The player should not be punished just because TW can't make armies consist of more than just peasants and can't design tactical AI that makes a small amount of sense. I guess it's all too complex for both them and console players, their new target audience.

It makes it more challenging, you know. :lol:
sean-locks-outrageous-joke.png

I'm further updating the severity of my opinion. I don't think TW can fix the AI, it gets worse every single update. Every update battles get more frustrating and annoying to just make the troops go where you say and fight properly.

We need to target and control them completely, in all situations. They need to go were the players says and kill what they player says when the player says so. No wasting shots at shield troops while unshielded troops are in range! No ignoring mounted troops as they charge, the second the player says so whatever formation the player chooses should turn to fire on or intercept them! No chasing random enemies, they need to seek and destroy what the player says to!

The troops are so stupid! All they can do is shoot things directly in front of them. Anything else they flop all around, dying and failing and not doing as they're told.

Full Player Control! Nothing else matters!

I'm further updating the severity of my opinion. I don't think TW can fix the AI, it gets worse every single update. Every update battles get more frustrating and annoying to just make the troops go where you say and fight properly.

We need to target and control them completely, in all situations. They need to go were the players says and kill what they player says when the player says so. No wasting shots at shield troops while unshielded troops are in range! No ignoring mounted troops as they charge, the second the player says so whatever formation the player chooses should turn to fire on or intercept them! No chasing random enemies, they need to seek and destroy what the player says to!

The troops are so stupid! All they can do is shoot things directly in front of them. Anything else they flop all around, dying and failing and not doing as they're told.

Agreed. I mean, I've kind of gotten used to being a general who offers suggestions for attack rather than orders...

But every time I go back to playing a Total War game, and I tell each of my 5 companies of archers to fire at those stranded infantry, with overlapping fields of fire from multiple directions... it makes me cry a little. I still prefer Bannerlord FPS battles. I just want to be able to do more than tell my men to generally attack or stand still.

I'm happy for the units to do what they want, so long as my suggestion is top of their to-do list. Kill those cavalry. And kill whoever you want along the way or once you're done with the cavalry if I haven't issued further orders.

Speak that truth bro!

Seriously though, I am not looking for EU4 level of super micro-governance, but I would very much like the basic ability for the formations to target others. Even if we had to set it before battle, where Light Cav will attack Horse Archers or Heavy Cav will target only Archers. But that is still a half measure.

This latest patch for melee cav couching made them worse. And the Kontos-using cataphracts have never been great. Sucks I cannot have my troops do more than run into a buzzsaw and get massacred

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure the rts mod just uses the commands that the ai uses, it just makes them available to player.

It would be nice to be able to give commands like the ai does to your sergeants like they do, like attack archers, skirmish, protect the flank. Anyone that says that's not what this game is about is crazy, especially as it's already in the code for the ai commanders (it needs a certain leadership or tactics level I cant remember)

Back
Top Bottom