Hit Detection in Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

How Hit Detection is working in Warband ?
Really, I have searched whole forum and found 1 old thread in closed beta forum.
I want to know why you hitting enemy's body with axe's haft\handle when axe's head(beard\blade) is floating in air. While it looks like you doing full damage.
Is there some sort of hit Traces like in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYrkn6EFwOg ?

I think its pretty easy to deduce that there are three types of hitboxes (although the model itself is probably is made up of a composite of these three types). The hitbox types are probably then diversified with a few unique attributes (Head boxes take 200% damage, legs take only a fraction, etc...). So then to answer your question about elbow damage, it depends a lot on the type of swing that hit your elbow. The game implements "sweet spots" on weapons so that a weapon that hits near the very end or the very beginning of its animation does a significantly reduced amount of damage compared to a swing that hits full-force during the middle of the animation. So, finally we can say that yes, a swing to the elbow will do damage based on a "body" type hit box and it will depend a lot on the dynamics of the swing to get a reasonable idea of how much damage was actually done.

I was going to respond, but Hasek just went ape**** on the subject, so there's really nothing let to say but QFT.

LordHasek said:
I think its pretty easy to deduce that there are three types of hitboxes (although the model itself is probably is made up of a composite of these three types). The hitbox types are probably then diversified with a few unique attributes (Head boxes take 200% damage, legs take only a fraction, etc...). So then to answer your question about elbow damage, it depends a lot on the type of swing that hit your elbow. The game implements "sweet spots" on weapons so that a weapon that hits near the very end or the very beginning of its animation does a significantly reduced amount of damage compared to a swing that hits full-force during the middle of the animation. So, finally we can say that yes, a swing to the elbow will do damage based on a "body" type hit box and it will depend a lot on the dynamics of the swing to get a reasonable idea of how much damage was actually done.

In essence, there are hitboxes, but not in the sense that the elbow is an "insignificant" part of the body hitbox; a hit is a hit. If you're hit in the pinky toe, that registers to the feet hitbox, just as if you're hit in the ear or between the eyes, it registers to the head hitbox.

These are my assumptions based on playing, and by no means 100% definite, concrete or developer information.

Now I must explain it in different way. Part of my question was not about what you hitting, but by what you hitting it. I know there are hitboxes on models and elbows, but it does not explain why you can do full damage by 2 handed axe's wooden haft\handle or with your hilt gripped by palm :

123522201.jpg

That's why I posted video above. Is whole weapon's model are traceline or they made it different.

Partizan_Rusi said:
Now I must explain it in different way. Part of my question was not about what you hitting, but by what you hitting it. I know there are hitboxes on models and elbows, but it does not explain why you can do full damage by 2 handed axe's wooden haft\handle or with your hilt gripped by palm :

That's why I posted video above. Is whole weapon's model are traceline or they made it different.

You're under the wrong impression. Ninety-nine percent of the time, you won't do full damage like that.

The game judges how much damage a hit makes through movement speed, animation time, and weapon length.

If you hit with a weapon early in it's animation and near its base, no matter what speed you're moving at, it will do minimal damage.

Just to note, in that picture you posted. The guy has almost no armor, and your clearly have a lot of strength and a big ol' sword. So you'd probably kill him at half damage :wink:

MadocComadrin said:
He's in a tavern; that strike is going to bounce right off.  :razz:

Silly me and my not playing singleplayer since the original game...

Broken is what it is arrows go through ai do not register Ai hit you in arena you swing somehow same weapon missing and they are little as **** shocking

Back
Top Bottom