Historical Innacuracies / Bug reports

Users who are viewing this thread

Zendarian

Sergeant at Arms
I only played for a few minutes but I noticed a few flaws.

1) The date in the corner of the screen says 1257 instead of 1297.

2) Edward the II would be referred to as Edward, Prince of Wales as his father is still alive.

3) Wales was not independent in 1297.

Zendarian said:
I only played for a few minutes but I noticed a few flaws.

1) The date in the corner of the screen says 1257 instead of 1297.

2) Edward the II would be referred to as Edward, Prince of Wales as his father is still alive.

3) Wales was not independent in 1297.

1. Forgot to transfer the .py over to the Britain module system, cheers for that.

2. Will be changed, cheers.

3. I know, hence the English army controlling half of Wales. And I know that the map of which factions own what isn't completely accurate, I've had many pm's from Lucius basically teaching me about the Welsh situation but it's set out the way it is for practicalness.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change, but obviously the currency shouldn't be denars. Also, the Steppe Bandits should be changed to just Mounted Bandits or something like that, seeing as the Mongols never got that far West.

OathinBlood said:
I'm not sure if it's possible to change, but obviously the currency shouldn't be denars. Also, the Steppe Bandits should be changed to just Mounted Bandits or something like that, seeing as the Mongols never got that far West.

Bugger, when transferring files across my test and actual mod file I forgot to change the Steppe Bandits in the test file, hence tem overwriting what was "Mounted Bandits". 

This mod's been great so far, sooo worth the wait. I watched Braveheart like 3 months ago and I was hoping there'd be an M&B mod about that time period, and here it is. Anyway, the only innacuracy that bugs me a little is how some of the lords look, like take Hamish Campbell, he was pretty much a barbarian but you made him look like a gentleman that was 20 years younger than his real age. Just pointing that out, I took the Scottish side and hoped to see a little more barbaric axe action there but other than that it's all good and it's an amazing mod.

OathinBlood said:

I'm pretty sure that the Huns got far enough to the west to be included, but yeah there shouldn't be Steppe Bandits in here, they could be changed to something like "Mysterious Scouting Party" or something xD

Just to clear up a few points;

Wales at the time was recently conquered, more an occupied country than a loyal province; in fact it would be briefly independent again a hundred years later with the revolt of Owain Glyndwr (Owen Glendower of Shakespearean fame). The Huns were much earlier and never touched Scotland; the Mongols never got further than central Europe. Any Khergit-type soldiers are admittedly innacurate.

As an ex scottish battle reenactor as well as studying 12th century scotland someone said I should post this on the Britannia mod forums...
Scots during the medieval period in 1300s tended to fight with large pikeman formations similar to the Rhodoks with some bowmen and highland warriors (who fought similar to the Vikings with mail and gambesons and  NOT kilt wearing blue painted Mel Gibson "scots"). They had very little calvery due to Scotlands climate and terrain not favouring them..
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Shawn_/Medieval%20Stuff/morestir.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Shawn_/Medieval%20Stuff/stirling.jpg <Typical Medieval Scots... Just shows they looked like the English did in Braveheart not the pseudo-pictish/1600s scots look they had in the bloody movie
More images of scottish soldiers:
basic.jpg
Typical lowland Soldiers

Foot%20Soldier.jpg
Typical Scottish pikeman

knight.jpg
Typical Scottish Knight

Highlander.jpg
REAL Scottish Highlanders

Some new uniforms could be used though like the original tannish gambesons could have a St. Andrews cross added to it or whatever. Kettle helms and skullcaps are usually typical of scottish infantry with great helms bascenets and sugar loaf helms typical of scottish knights.  Scottish knights usually were too poor to afford plate but mail was common and they prolly had some second hand plate looted from the dead.
Hope this helps.

Omg, where did you get the first picture?
The man in the front is showing his underwear and he is posing and so is the guy on the right.
And what is the other man doing with his hand inside the other guy's clothes.
Seems like Typical lowland Soldiers are typically gay.

XD

Most of what you say is right; while many of the Highlanders did in fact fight in the 'old' way the Lowland Scots forces were in fact much more 'British' or 'Norman' in character. The portrayal of the Scots as all Highlanders is in fact Peter's personal preference, I believe...

Noticed several errors with the Scotland map...

1. Livingston didn't exist until the 1960s, and even then it's much closer to Edinburgh than it is on the map.

2. Balmoral Castle didn't exist until the end of the 14th century.

3. Fraserburgh is misplaced - it's a famous fishing town, hard to do much fishing when you're nowhere near any seas. In real life it's to the North of Aberdeen. It also didn't exist, at least under that name, until well after this time period.

4. Stonehaven's geographic position is also wrong, it should be on the coast, although it's North/South location is about right.

5. Castle Douglas didn't exist, at least under that name, until the 18th century.

6. Aviemore is misspelled 'AvieRmore', and is also wrongly placed. It didn't exist at this time anyway.

7. Ullapool didn't really exist in this period.

8. Cawdor Castle wasn't built until late in the 14th century. You should rename it Rothes Castle, there was a castle there by this name.

9. As far as I can see, the only Carbisdale Castle that exists is one built in the 20th century.

10. Gairloch is wrongly spelled Gairlock.

11. Dalwhinnie and Aberfeldy don't appear to have existed before the 18th century.

There are probably more along this line, but that's as many as I can be be bothered to check for now.

The choice of towns/villages in general seems to be fairly random. There are some pretty notable places missing... Inverness, Perth, and Dundee should be there (as villages at least), and Dunfermline also, since it was a much more important town then than it is now, being Scotland's capital for most of the Medieval period. Falkirk's a very noticable absentee, given that one of the key battles of Wallace's campaign was fought there. Stirling should really be a town, although I can maybe see why it was made a castle given the way M&B works.

Folcan said:
Omg, where did you get the first picture?
The man in the front is showing his underwear and he is posing and so is the guy on the right.
And what is the other man doing with his hand inside the other guy's clothes.
Seems like Typical lowland Soldiers are typically gay.
u made me laugh so hard!man that was so fuunnny! :mrgreen:

Gonna sticky this thread so I don't lose sight of it again. I'll be putting a lot more effort into making the next version in terms of historical accuracy. The new version will be Britain 1300 or something for the sake of feeling like time has actually passed since the last one, so if any of the information post would be different 3 years on, please tell me.

@ Connal - Kilts and the Hollywood style Scots will stay, however the Scottish troop tree will be expanded so that there's 2 paths to go down, Lowland and Highland. Highland will be the kilt wearing, Hollywood style Scots and Lowland will be similar to the references you posted and some other I found on the interweb. Just so people can choose whether they want the Braveheart style Scots or the historically accurate ones. Or mix and match, depending on your preference.

@ Pheonix - London won't be added, however Winchester will be swapped for Westminster which was my original intention, but I got mixed up when creating the map. That said, Westminster is in London, but it's where Longshanks' castle/palace was I think.

I have to say, I know the kilts were inaccurate for the time, but it still looks good  :cool:

Also, I think you should lower the strength of the Irish and Welsh slightly so they don't have such strong armour. I would have thought Irish would have been similar to the Scots armour but I may be wrong. It also gives England a slight advantage as they have 3 enemies to contend with.

Phoenix said:
I have to say, I know the kilts were inaccurate for the time, but it still looks good  :cool:

Also, I think you should lower the strength of the Irish and Welsh slightly so they don't have such strong armour. I would have thought Irish would have been similar to the Scots armour but I may be wrong. It also gives England a slight advantage as they have 3 enemies to contend with.

Don't worry the Irish are being completely re-done with the help of OBrian. I'll most likely work on the Welsh as well before the next release, I could use some reference pictures though.

Aethelred said:
Noticed several errors with the Scotland map...

1. Livingston didn't exist until the 1960s, and even then it's much closer to Edinburgh than it is on the map.

2. Balmoral Castle didn't exist until the end of the 14th century.

3. Fraserburgh is misplaced - it's a famous fishing town, hard to do much fishing when you're nowhere near any seas. In real life it's to the North of Aberdeen. It also didn't exist, at least under that name, until well after this time period.

4. Stonehaven's geographic position is also wrong, it should be on the coast, although it's North/South location is about right.

5. Castle Douglas didn't exist, at least under that name, until the 18th century.

6. Aviemore is misspelled 'AvieRmore', and is also wrongly placed. It didn't exist at this time anyway.

7. Ullapool didn't really exist in this period.

8. Cawdor Castle wasn't built until late in the 14th century. You should rename it Rothes Castle, there was a castle there by this name.

9. As far as I can see, the only Carbisdale Castle that exists is one built in the 20th century.

10. Gairloch is wrongly spelled Gairlock.

11. Dalwhinnie and Aberfeldy don't appear to have existed before the 18th century.

There are probably more along this line, but that's as many as I can be be bothered to check for now.

The choice of towns/villages in general seems to be fairly random. There are some pretty notable places missing... Inverness, Perth, and Dundee should be there (as villages at least), and Dunfermline also, since it was a much more important town then than it is now, being Scotland's capital for most of the Medieval period. Falkirk's a very noticable absentee, given that one of the key battles of Wallace's campaign was fought there. Stirling should really be a town, although I can maybe see why it was made a castle given the way M&B works.
Thankgod someone noticed

-Peter- said:
@ Pheonix - London won't be added, however Winchester will be swapped for Westminster which was my original intention, but I got mixed up when creating the map. That said, Westminster is in London, but it's where Longshanks' castle/palace was I think.

Westminster was not in London itself during that time, since in 1297 London was still a walled city. Westminster was actually a few miles upriver of London but yes, it was quickly becoming the favoured residence of English kings and in the time of Edward's son and heir, Edward, it shall also become a place of administration. And seeing as this is in 1297, Edward the Younger of Caernarvon was 13 years old. He did campaign with his father, Edward I, in Scotland several times but should he be a lord in-game at this age?

Also, if you wish, I can provide you with a very detailed map of all the English holdings at this time, such as Lincoln, Warwick, Tewkesbury and so forth, going on to places I don't think you've ever heard of (I surely didn't before reading the map).

Back
Top Bottom