Historic Thread for Floris Workshop Development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I haven't been playing the Workshop since v0.03 because of limited time, so I can't provide a valid POV.

But if the question is simply about whether I enjoy in-game guides over having to open up my browser to read, I really prefer having in-game guides. I've read all of the guides (in Floris 2.5x) so far, and I really appreciate all the additional info that's accessible while playing, without needing to alt-tab or exit the game and pre-read.

I'm happy to check a wiki and don't think it is worth a lot of scripting time that could better used on features.  Having the troop tree in-game is very useful but less frequently used info could easily reside on a wiki.

Thanks for the input.  I just wonder how often people are actually finding the wiki and the information there considering how often I end up linking to answers found on it.  The in-game guide concept isn't difficult to implement as its backbone was already built via the tournament one, but does take some time to write up & update each version update.

Windyplains said:
Thanks for the input.  I just wonder how often people are actually finding the wiki and the information there considering how often I end up linking to answers found on it.  The in-game guide concept isn't difficult to implement as its backbone was already built via the tournament one, but does take some time to write up & update each version update.

The time it would take would probably be better used elsewere imo (like adding new features).

Why not put a link to the wiki when you start a new game? Something like "If you need information about some of Floris' features, you will find it on the wiki : http://floris.wikia.com/wiki/Floris_Wiki " before getting to character creation menu. This way we'd be certain new players know about the wiki.

I personally enjoyed a lot the internal wiki. It provided a clear insight of how the new things are implemented ingame - one could not expect the average player to know or grasp immediately what to do.

A hint: why do not make some sort of tutorial-mission? So the player could discover new things little to little,

Deathwhisper said:
Why not put a link to the wiki when you start a new game? Something like "If you need information about some of Floris' features, you will find it on the wiki : http://floris.wikia.com/wiki/Floris_Wiki " before getting to character creation menu. This way we'd be certain new players know about the wiki.
Great idea.  I'll include that.

Mylae said:
I personally enjoyed a lot the internal wiki. It provided a clear insight of how the new things are implemented ingame - one could not expect the average player to know or grasp immediately what to do.
The in-game texts were intended to be a very quick summary to the changes while the wiki should be a more detailed article.  I still think I'll continue with the in-game texts for quick information.

A hint: why do not make some sort of tutorial-mission? So the player could discover new things little to little,
The scripting involved in making such a tutorial to cover the various features would take a ridiculous amount of time.  M&B wasn't really made for scripted events of this nature.  It can be done, but it requires a lot of work.

I've been playing v0.06 and have my own (tiny) Kingdom. 

Ymira is my Minister and Castle Steward and when I visit my castle there are two Ymira's.  I can speak with both of them. 

At one point I had two Ymiras in the castle and she was in my party.

Not sure how that happened, but just something I wanted to point out.

Is there a Constable or Finance Minister in this workshop?

Never thought to bar assigning someone who was the minister.  Interesting that the option was even there since it checks if that person is in your party.  I'll look into that as it is definitely a bug.

There is no financial minister or constable (who'll be the Captain of the Guard eventually) yet.  The later is planned for the future.  The financial minister's duties will likely just be part of the steward's role.  No need to tie up an additional companion in each fief for this purpose.  The steward definitely I feel should be a companion taken from your party as your key person in the area.  The captain as well since that person's skills and abilities will have a strong influence on their performance in that role.  Eventually I'd like to add more companions to the game specifically to help offset this idea, but for now I also feel giving up a companion to fill these roles should be a choice you make.  And it should be one that pays off as they'll add additional options for governing.  This is still in its infancy as the diplomacy system is what is being worked on currently..or I should say what I'll resume working on once I am done merging workshop features into Floris 2.6.

I just hired a mercenary company  - something I've been hoping for in a mod for a long time.  I think its a fantastic concept!

I liked the dialog that led up to it: My minister summoning me to address the issue of a band of mercenaries camping out in my territory.  Great stuff!

I'd love to see this concept taken even further and fleshed out.  It would be great to be able to give the mercenary captain some simple commands (patrol around Sunno, or go to Reindi Castle)  On the flip side, maybe you have something in place where the one thing you can't do is have the mercenaries fortify a castle because they cause too much trouble or you run the risk of them taking over.

The one thing I noticed with the mercenary company is they didn't seem to sell their prisoners.  They won a hard fought battle one time and had 5 soldiers left hauling around 50 prisoners for what seemed like a very long time.

Again, I thank you for this addition.  It really is a great concept and I think it offers some really interesting opportunities for future development.

Barnolo said:
I liked the dialog that led up to it: My minister summoning me to address the issue of a band of mercenaries camping out in my territory.  Great stuff!
Thank you.

I'd love to see this concept taken even further and fleshed out.  It would be great to be able to give the mercenary captain some simple commands (patrol around Sunno, or go to Reindi Castle).
This could be done.  Their AI is still being developed, but it basically functions as a series of commands so is fairly modular.

The one thing I noticed with the mercenary company is they didn't seem to sell their prisoners.  They won a hard fought battle one time and had 5 soldiers left hauling around 50 prisoners for what seemed like a very long time.
This is true right now as they do not dock in towns when you do.  I can make sure they sell prisoners when a nearby town as a ransom broker though and then attempt an immediate recruitment (from the town, not the prisoners) to gain more members based upon their new found wealth.  They will normally attempt to recruit new members up to their ideal party limit on a weekly basis.

I really like the patrols that emerge from castles and towns to confront nearby enemies.  It makes sense that the castle garrison should do something when bandits and enemies are raiding the nearest village.

I loved it when I discovered that I could lure a patrol away from an enemy castle, defeat that patrol in the open and then have very few defenders to fight in the siege that followed ( a few times I got them to outright surrender the castle)

When I got my own kingdom and saw my own garrisons lured away to their deaths, I loved this feature a bit less.

Could the future Captain of the Guard position have some parameters that the character could dictate?  (e.g.  "Never leave less than 150 troops in the the garrison." or "Only engage weaker forces")

Again, great addition to the mod.

Barnolo said:
Could the future Captain of the Guard position have some parameters that the character could dictate?  (e.g.  "Never leave less than 150 troops in the the garrison." or "Only engage weaker forces")
This is one of the plans intended for the captain of the guard.  I want him to be able to control if a garrison responds at all and if so, how much will it commit and how far will it give chase.  Right now the garrisons do not consider enemy strength size and that was originally done to prevent them from cowering in the castle when a 700 person garrison army might be able to chase away a 1000 person campaign army.  Since the garrison army is one unit of 700 each army in the campaign is likely to flee thereby causing them to be a more effective barrier for mountain passes, etc.  I'm not sure if that is working out better or not, but the next phase would be to try it with a little more AI checking nearby enemy strength and see if they still prove effective.

Some more thoughts on patrols and mercenaries.

With patrols now, if you run into your own patrol you get a dialog box not unlike when you run into a band of deserters "Surrender or Die" or "Be on your way"  (roughly paraphrased)

I think you should be able to give your patrols commands like "Get your butt back to Dhirim!  You are out chasing skirmishers while it's under siege, fool!"  If a sovereign, maybe you should be able to give this command to any of your kingdom's patrols, regardless of which vassal they belong to.

As far as the mercenaries, I love this addition and would like to suggest taking it further.  Make them available on the map, not just through the quest.  It would be great to see 5 or 6 famous mercenary companies roaming around Caladria fighting for whomever is paying the most.  The character in the early game could interact with these mercenaries and perhaps join them (in some Freelancer version in Floris 2.6).  In the later game the merc company could be to defend the player's kingdom. 

Taking it further, maybe if you had the funds you could hire away these mercenaries from an existing contract with your enemies and vice versa.

Taking it even further, and to prevent one Kingdom from acquiring too many mercenaries, maybe these companies have old rivalries that prevent them from serving on the same side (I borrowed this idea from the old game Lords of the Realm).  For an even more immersive slant, maybe some of these mercenaries have bad reputations with certain lords and towns.  If you hire Sir Bruton, you take a -10 relations hit with Veluca (should you own it) based on what he and his men did there several years ago.  Or if Count Delinard is one of your vassals and you hire Mad Martigan, you take a -15 relationship hit based on what Mad Martigan did with Delinard's sister back when Martigan was a knight in Delinard's service.

Thanks again for some great work.

MBW1.143; Mod workshop 0.06; WSE 2.8.1;

I've noticed there are some problems with assigned quartermaster and his/her dynamic weapon set.

My quartermaster doesn't sell all the loot he's suppose to sell, when this type of loot is assigned to his dynamic weapon set.
Some of the prefixes are 'lost' in dynamic weapon set.

Example:
My quartermaster's Dynamic Weapon Set Configuration screen:

available inventory:
flanged mace, reinforced wooden shield, strong short bow, arrows

battlefield equipment set:
flanged mace, wooden shield    //prefixes are lost here

siege equipment set:
flanged mace, wooden shield, short bow, arrows //prefixes are lost here

Outcome:
Whenever I pick loot like: bent arrows, chipped flanged mace, etc.
My quartermaster is keepin' it.
Other types of loot like: horses, armour, pikes, swords, helmets  he sells without problem.

Clearing  battlefield and siege equipment sets, let's him sell everything.

I hope that this post was not to confusing  :oops:

I have also a question regarding option
"All or nothing" in Dynamic Weapon Set Configuration not sure what it does or when would i want to use it ?

grom64 said:
I hope that this post was not to confusing  :oops:
Not at all.  It was an excellent rundown of the issue you've observed and exactly the kind of reports I need from folks for workshop related issue to iron them out prior to Floris 2.6.  The quartermaster won't attempt to sell an equipped item, but the reason I put this filter in was so they wouldn't try to sell an extra weapon (that is part of their weapon sets) that isn't currently equipped. 

Unfortunately there isn't really an easy fix for this one and it is something I'd made a conscious call it at the time.  The easiest method is to simply not use the dynamic weapon sets feature for your quartermaster companion, but that may not prove to everyone's liking.  The other option is to manually pull things from their inventory as it gets backed up.  While it may be a minor inconvenience it would probably incense folks even more if I had the quartermaster automatically sell one of their weapons (especially if it is valuable). 

I have also a question regarding option
"All or nothing" in Dynamic Weapon Set Configuration not sure what it does or when would i want to use it ?
All or Nothing:
ON - A switch to a weapon set will only occur if all items in that set can be found on the character.
OFF - An attempt to switch each item individually will be made.  So effectively someone with a setup of sword/shield/bow/arrows will still switch slots 1, 2 & 3 even if the requested "arrows" of slot 4 are not found.  This can lead to some odd weapon combinations and I recommend turning 'all or nothing' on.

Jakob Zaborowski said:
The release is a few months old, should I still try to test it?
You're welcome to do so.  The workshop is currently on hiatus as I am merging its features into Floris 2.6 (as I get time).  Once that's done then I'll update the workshop back to a playable state on the most recent version that is WSE compliant (1.153) and release v0.07 (with its new additions).

There are a number of modifications done in the workshop that are not intended for addition into Floris so it has its own tweaks for playability that I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom