Highest difficulty setting for the Combat AI in vanilla should have the AI attempt to block as much as they do in RBM AI module

Users who are viewing this thread

Totalgarbage

Sergeant Knight
Current vanilla AI doesn't attempt to block your strikes (unless if it's Caladog in tournaments). While me and many other people have reservations about the changes made by RBM (mostly by its combat module), almost everyone praises the mod's AI module.

I do like that there is a posture system that forces the player to block with proper timing (and also makes it so that you can't block forever) and would like it to be added as well, but I would be fine if only it was changed so that the AI actually tries to block attacks consistently in vanilla.

Would be frustrating for many players. RBM even invented the (in my eyes terribly unrealistic) posture system you mentioned to be able to kill block champions when they fall to the floor constantly (which is soo silly).

I'm playing with RBM without the posture system and it can be quite difficult sometimes to overcome foes, especially with the armor-insanely-op combat module enabled. Not mainstream and it would not please many people to get this automatically with Realistic (Bannerlord) settings, I think.

If you don't like RBM and want a much simpler solution, install Improved Combat AI mod. It allows to set the combat level of the troops. It is doubled by the mod's default setting and that makes combat already quite demanding, even more so than with RBM for high tier units like nobles (yesterday I felled Dethert in a tournament with RBM AI module quite easily in sword and board with 50 skill, I was surprised).

Last edited:
Would be frustrating for many players. RBM even invented the (in my eyes terribly unrealistic) posture system you mentioned to be able to kill block champions when they fall to the floor constantly (which is soo silly).

I'm playing with RBM without the posture system and it can be quite difficult sometimes to overcome foes, especially with the armor-insanely-op combat module enabled. Not mainstream and it would not please many people to get this automatically with Realistic (Bannerlord) settings, I think.

If you don't like RBM and want a much simpler solution, install Improved Combat AI mod. It allows to set the combat level of the troops. It is doubled by the mod's default setting and that makes combat already quite demanding, even more so than with RBM for high tier units like nobles (yesterday I felled Dethert in a tournament with RBM AI module quite easily in sword and board with 50 skill, I was surprised).
I'm sure it would not be liked as a default option for many players, especially newer ones. I don't blame people for not liking the posture system either. I'm not even going to talk say the many things I dislike about combat module... In essence, I would like the highest difficulty combat AI to try to block much more often, maybe RBM was a bad example. As in your example, even RBM (AI) isn't that hard once you get the hang of it (though in your example, it's easier to do in a tournament since all the weapons are blunt by default). The AI ideally shouldn't be robotically good in blocking strikes, but should at least try to put up a fight.

One question, does the combat AI difficulty settings actually change anything? Because if the hardest AI is this pathetic most of the time, I'm wondering how the easiest one is.

One question, does the combat AI difficulty settings actually change anything? Because if the hardest AI is this pathetic most of the time, I'm wondering how the easiest one is.
I think it has more to do with proximity of other agents and how they are set to 'detect'. 1v1s (even if not Caladog), they block more, but in those 2v2+, no regard for blocking - so that applies to those 200v200 infantry battles too.

I'm sure it would not be liked as a default option for many players, especially newer ones. I don't blame people for not liking the posture system either. I'm not even going to talk say the many things I dislike about combat module... In essence, I would like the highest difficulty combat AI to try to block much more often, maybe RBM was a bad example. As in your example, even RBM (AI) isn't that hard once you get the hang of it (though in your example, it's easier to do in a tournament since all the weapons are blunt by default). The AI ideally shouldn't be robotically good in blocking strikes, but should at least try to put up a fight.

I'm not against an option to make the AI better in blocking, I'm just against it being coupled with the highest difficulty setting. It should be an additional feature to enable.

Improved Combat AI makes some fights more difficult than RBM, especially with nobles. Lower tier troops are about the same than in RBM, I would say, lowest are a bit worse (which is not a bad thing). Some say that the increase of combat level even makes the AI better in using cover (for example in sieges) or deciding how to react to threads. I'm not sure about it. Be it as it may, it's quite a difference to play vanilla without or with improved Combat AI mod.

I'm not against an option to make the AI better in blocking, I'm just against it being coupled with the highest difficulty setting. It should be an additional feature to enable.

Improved Combat AI makes some fights more difficult than RBM, especially with nobles. Lower tier troops are about the same than in RBM, I would say, lowest are a bit worse (which is not a bad thing). Some say that the increase of combat level even makes the AI better in using cover (for example in sieges) or deciding how to react to threads. I'm not sure about it. Be it as it may, it's quite a difference to play vanilla without or with improved Combat AI mod.
That is a valid opinion, It could be made into new setting. I haven't tried Improved Combat AI, but I'll try it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom