High death counts makes me lose heart

Users who are viewing this thread

I would speculate it gets lowered to 1% (or less?) just because of the frequent complaints. Although the 2% is okay on paper, the fact many players cart around their vassals and make them fight over and over in live battle (where they YOLO) it 's bound to have an effect on how many battle deaths the they notice. They just fight less on thier own because they derp around in between and whether they get KO'd in combat is less likely. I also think that TW probably intends for the player to fight along side allies in battle and NOT to bulldoze enemy armies alone and let your vassals just conga line all over the map unsupervised. Perhaps a perks to increase thier survival in live combat with the player would be good to counter the increase risk they take because of the player, making them fight over and over everyday forever

The death rate is about right where it sits now at 2%.

I wouldn't want it to be less. This is war.

The problem is that it's a war between people with no self-preservation. Lords sometimes attach themselves to tiny infantry or cavalry detachments and just charge at you. In simulated battles they fight to the death without surrendering or trying to retreat. Even if they lowered it to 1% as ananda said, which is kind of ridiculous at that point, it's just avoiding the fact that the AI doesn't make any attempt of its own to avoid death.

In an ideal version of this game, a spear to someone's face, hero or not, would mean death most of the time. An arrow to the head without armour would mean instant, unhealable, un-surgeonable death. But those circumstances would be rare because surrounded men on the battlefield would surrender most of the time, infantry blobs wouldn't push themselves suicidally into the enemy, and in simulated battles the lords would surrender or break off if they started to lose.

I would like to see lower casualty rates in battles in general, just to slow down the insane rate at which the player and AI burn through men. It gives you no chance to care about anything when within a couple of days, chances are it will have been ground into a bloody pulp by the calradian meatgrinder.

I suggest children should count as adult with 16, would make sense and probably helps a bit.
Personally I cant say many die out, at least not for my kingdom and the enemies.
Im 30 years (around 3600 days) in my current game and many are still rocking or their children already took over.

2% is still too high, with the number of battles going on constantly across the map and no way to generate new nobles outside of the player-side promotion system (and rebel clans which rarely do anything and seem to have a much higher death rate than traditional clans). I'm optimistic this signals implementation of a similar system for NPC kingdoms.

The death rate has to be counteracted with new noble generation, the birth system is too slow for this. If the number of nobles killed in a faction exceeds a threshold, allow NPC kingdoms a chance to recruit a new clan.

Last edited:
They tested this for over a year and it is too high lol.... Perhaps another year of testing and they will get it right....

They tested this for over a year and it is too high lol.... Perhaps another year of testing and they will get it right....

That’s not exactly accurate. They used a higher rate of death 5/10%? for over a year and refused to change it because they were working out a bug that occurred with noble deaths. Not the same as experimenting with death rates, which they only recently lowered to 2%/ enabled for npc vs npc battles.

That’s not exactly accurate. They used a higher rate of death 5/10%? for over a year and refused to change it because they were working out a bug that occurred with noble deaths. Not the same as experimenting with death rates, which they only recently lowered to 2%/ enabled for npc vs npc battles.
LOL, maybe they get that right in another six months, I am on the edge of my seat....

LOL, maybe they get that right in another six months, I am on the edge of my seat....
Agreed, It’s taken a while. Death rates have been a major factor in my willingness to test out the game. It sucks when you look around the map and see a number of the clans dying out knowing they won’t be replaced. Hopefully it get adjusted sooner than later.

The vaccination rate is very low in calradia, that might be the reason. 3 of my 5 companions left my party after i enabled "use masks" option. I also had to sell my wokrshops because there werent any workers left, stimulus checks made them staying at home.

The vaccination rate is very low in calradia, that might be the reason. 3 of my 5 companions left my party after i enabled "use masks" option. I also had to sell my wokrshops because there werent any workers left, stimulus checks made them staying at home.
The Calradia diversity officer made my army commanders gender equal... Maternity armor is being forged, we should be okay.

If a country is constantly at war, and losing engagements, they should have losses instead of this eternal war of suicidal immortals who re-spawn immediately with 20 units including elites.

And this about time when kings and rebel leaders died of complications (Zizka), or ass wounds, or good old ****s.

The flat % on simulated losses is an issue, but I'd think more for elite units than for nobles. Silly deaths are likewise an issue, but more for infantry mobs spawning around cavalry that ostensibly has enemy cut-off from reinforcements.

Getting attached to NPCs is hopefully not something devs put as priority.

If a country is constantly at war, and losing engagements, they should have losses instead of this eternal war of suicidal immortals who re-spawn immediately with 20 units including elites.

And this about time when kings and rebel leaders died of complications (Zizka), or ass wounds, or good old ****s.

The flat % on simulated losses is an issue, but I'd think more for elite units than for nobles. Silly deaths are likewise an issue, but more for infantry mobs spawning around cavalry that ostensibly has enemy cut-off from reinforcements.

Getting attached to NPCs is hopefully not something devs put as priority.
Attrition in wars can easily be from capturing the nobles, so they don’t respawn. Reduce chance to escape instead of every noble being Houdini.

Attrition in wars can easily be from capturing the nobles, so they don’t respawn. Reduce chance to escape instead of every noble being Houdini.
To clarify - it's not that I don't care about some NPCs, but rather that I see them dying as an important feature.

Even wrote a commemorative pseudo history recount for a quest :grin: It's based on AI duking Escarand out. One party moved towards me, Escarand engaged because his party thought the other would join, but they ran to garrison. Ending life of one of best Vlandian generals at like year 3.

But instead of risk % I'd hope it's just the same (if it works how I think it does) as when a unit is wounded/dies - by their hp float when the final blow is cast. And maybe they should run from battlefield or engage based on their traits. Makes some cautious well armoured ones unkillable unless the float, or alternatively single-hit damage goes over certain treshold that'd require either an elite headshot or player taking things in their hands. Hunting nobles is a fun interlude if you can spot them.

Escarand's Folly:

The problem is that it's a war between people with no self-preservation. Lords sometimes attach themselves to tiny infantry or cavalry detachments and just charge at you. In simulated battles they fight to the death without surrendering or trying to retreat. Even if they lowered it to 1% as ananda said, which is kind of ridiculous at that point, it's just avoiding the fact that the AI doesn't make any attempt of its own to avoid death.

In an ideal version of this game, a spear to someone's face, hero or not, would mean death most of the time. An arrow to the head without armour would mean instant, unhealable, un-surgeonable death. But those circumstances would be rare because surrounded men on the battlefield would surrender most of the time, infantry blobs wouldn't push themselves suicidally into the enemy, and in simulated battles the lords would surrender or break off if they started to lose.

I would like to see lower casualty rates in battles in general, just to slow down the insane rate at which the player and AI burn through men. It gives you no chance to care about anything when within a couple of days, chances are it will have been ground into a bloody pulp by the calradian meatgrinder.
It's very late to +1 this post, but I couldn't agree more.

Make armor work so that the heroes wearing it are less likely to die from random spam. Give hero characters enough self preservation that they stay behind whatever party they are commanding to avoid combat, and retreat when their force is starting to lose, unless they have brave and impulsive Traits. Make hero characters more likely to retreat in simulated battle as well.

If TW does those things we'll probably see people asking to raise the lord death rate, if anything.
To clarify - it's not that I don't care about some NPCs, but rather that I see them dying as an important feature.

Even wrote a commemorative pseudo history recount for a quest :grin: It's based on AI duking Escarand out. One party moved towards me, Escarand engaged because his party thought the other would join, but they ran to garrison. Ending life of one of best Vlandian generals at like year 3.

But instead of risk % I'd hope it's just the same (if it works how I think it does) as when a unit is wounded/dies - by their hp float when the final blow is cast. And maybe they should run from battlefield or engage based on their traits. Makes some cautious well armoured ones unkillable unless the float, or alternatively single-hit damage goes over certain treshold that'd require either an elite headshot or player taking things in their hands. Hunting nobles is a fun interlude if you can spot them.

Escarand's Folly:

Impressive amount of effort for a random thread, you should put it as a standalone post in Minstrel's Corner if you haven't already. I can't read the cursive on my phone but the overall presentation is sick :love:

It's very late to +1 this post, but I couldn't agree more.

Make armor work so that the heroes wearing it are less likely to die from random spam. Give hero characters enough self preservation that they stay behind whatever party they are commanding to avoid combat, and retreat when their force is starting to lose, unless they have brave and impulsive Traits. Make hero characters more likely to retreat in simulated battle as well.

If TW does those things we'll probably see people asking to raise the lord death rate, if anything.

Impressive amount of effort for a random thread, you should put it as a standalone post in Minstrel's Corner if you haven't already. I can't read the cursive on my phone but the overall presentation is sick :love:
But retreat for heroes should the clan cost something, the clan should lose renown, everytime a hero retreat from the battlefield.

And heroes and troops can not retreat in simulated battles.

I would speculate it gets lowered to 1% (or less?) just because of the frequent complaints. Although the 2% is okay on paper, the fact many players cart around their vassals and make them fight over and over in live battle (where they YOLO) it 's bound to have an effect on how many battle deaths the they notice. They just fight less on thier own because they derp around in between and whether they get KO'd in combat is less likely. I also think that TW probably intends for the player to fight along side allies in battle and NOT to bulldoze enemy armies alone and let your vassals just conga line all over the map unsupervised. Perhaps a perks to increase thier survival in live combat with the player would be good to counter the increase risk they take because of the player, making them fight over and over everyday forever

One idea is a sliding option - I think 1% is a good baseline, as the existing death rate is a bit high.

Back
Top Bottom