Hideouts make me want to quit the game

Users who are viewing this thread

atlasdrugged

Recruit
Let me begin with saying that I LOVED warband despite coming to it rather late and well after the graphics were, errr... outdated. I spent over 125 hours in that game. I was super excited for Bannerlord, but it only took about 15 game hours - mostly non-stop, since most of the game is GREAT - before feeling like dropping it entirely. What could sour my mood so?

Hideouts. Bloody hideouts.

Devs, they're just way too hard and simply torturous. The feelings they engender ruin the game. I work full time, and what little free time i have after that is pulled in a million directions, so when I booted up the game tonight I got flashbacks to the HOURS I spent last night trying every which way to beat that forest bandit hideout in the main quest (the one everyone complains about). Reliving that frustration in my mind made me close the game before even loading a save. these hideouts aren't a challenge- they're the modern day sisyphus' rock. There are simply much better things to do with my time.

Now, I admit that I looked up ways to beat it, including tabbing out and attacking again as well as other cheesing tactics, but that's not why I play video games.It's bad enough yet forgivable that I have to look up internet guides for game mechanics that are poorly explained, but it's tragically disappointing to have to look up cheesing guides for game mechanics that are poorly designed. I don't know *how* to fix them, I just know they need fixing.

I don't mean to just leave a negative unconstructive rant, especially since the game is still in EA. It's just that we've all been waiting a long time for this amazing game to come out and it's simply a shame that this one quest roadblock can dampen so much of the enthusiasm for your hard work, which I am super thankful for and hope to fully appreciate again soon. Please consider making significant changes 😭🙏

P.S. Add more people/characters of color! (Especially black women.) It's 2020, and both "historical accuracy" and "lore" (which I've seen some posters invoke) are lazy excuses for a fictional world, especially when it doesn't detract from the overall experience and not doing so makes thousands of your globe-spanning users and fans feel invisible - we get enough of that from literally every other form of media. There's my constructive criticism! I have faith in you guys, and thanks for all your hard work!

P.S. Add more people/characters of color! (Especially black women.) It's 2020, and both "historical accuracy" and "lore" (which I've seen some posters invoke) are lazy excuses for a fictional world, especially when it doesn't detract from the overall experience and not doing so makes thousands of your globe-spanning users and fans feel invisible - we get enough of that from literally every other form of media.

I disagree. On the contrary, having cohesive cultural presence is crucial to building a believable setting that one can ground themselves in. As it stands right now, I'd be against the arbitrary addition of "characters of color" (which is kind of vague; does one consider Asians and Persians to be "of color"? If so, 2/5 of the factions in the game are already characters of color). However, what I would be for is the addition of a new faction drawn from, say, the sub-saharan African peoples of the 11th century. If they do that, I'm all for this change... but only if.

Personally, I feel it can make you feel decidedly less invisible - conspicuous, even! - to have it the way it is now. How do I mean? Take my wife for example. My wife is Japanese. She loves Bannerlord. What did she do? She concocted a story in her head of a pseudo-Japan that exists far, far to the east of Calradia, and she made her character the only soul in Calradia representing that culture. This gives her a very unique position in the world and, to her imagination, makes her stand out remarkably in the world.

Anyway, I got off topic, sorry about that. As a writer, I get a little obsessive about setting concerns. Hideouts! I agree. They're doable, but "doable" isn't good enough for game balance. On the whole, hideouts can be extremely difficult unless you're lucky enough to get one with very few occupants in the timeframe of your quest. It definitely need some adjustments. The way I'd do it? Allow us to bring more soldiers based on our Tactics or Roguery (one or the other, it'd be up to the devs to sort that out). Up to a maximum of, say, 20.

urugamer5

Veteran
True, but I reckon OP would rather have a fun, engaging solution. It's not particularly rewarding to just step on 20 bandits with an army of 163, and then make a ton of coin for it.
mmm i mostly do it because of the sweet influence XD
I agree they too hard, hardest fight of the game, i just never took the mission before.
Taleworlds fault, if they did it more normal nobody had to cheat with this mods :iamamoron:
I mean i like hard game, but that fight its lost xd

Top Bottom