Hideouts are fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

I hear a lot of people complaining about hideouts being super hard. I have a theory about hideouts. They are not the same as war and. Here bandits are organized in raiding parties led by a boss who never leaves the hideout. When you first discover the hideout you can see a few pitchfork icons below the name. This shows how many parties are currently there. Do not attack when there are 5 parties with 100 men inside. Kill the other parties outside and then the parties inside will leave to replace them. When there is only one party left that's the boss and his companions. So if a hideout is too hard for you deal with the parties outside then ambush the remaining ones as the leave and then go for the boss. This is realistic and a well established component of the game.

1. they do not always leave the hideout
2. You can't always wait for them to leave, the quest attached to the hideouts only gives you what, 7 days? 10? Not nearly enough to wait them out.
3. It makes no logical sense that I would only take up to ten people with me when I have an army of hundreds.
4. I can't pick which guys go with me, so I'm often left with a bunch of fresh recruits backing me up on a difficult mission instead of my elites.
5. When you can't wait them out due to time constraints, the difficulty spikes exponentially, without the reward matching the new difficulty.

I could probably come up with more reasons if I stopped to think about it, but just this enough suggest that the hideouts are very much NOT fine.

2. You can't always wait for them to leave, the quest attached to the hideouts only gives you what, 7 days? 10? Not nearly enough to wait them out.
3. It makes no logical sense that I would only take up to ten people with me when I have an army of hundreds.
4. I can't pick which guys go with me, so I'm often left with a bunch of fresh recruits backing me up on a difficult mission instead of my elites.
5. When you can't wait them out due to time constraints, the difficulty spikes exponentially, without the reward matching the new difficulty.

I could probably come up with more reasons if I stopped to think about it, but just this enough suggest that the hideouts are very much NOT fine.

Those are issues with the quests and party management and I agree with you. The hideouts mechanic works fine but they definitely need to fix quests and party management and everything else.

I hear a lot of people complaining about hideouts being super hard. I have a theory about hideouts. They are not the same as war and. Here bandits are organized in raiding parties led by a boss who never leaves the hideout. When you first discover the hideout you can see a few pitchfork icons below the name. This shows how many parties are currently there. Do not attack when there are 5 parties with 100 men inside. Kill the other parties outside and then the parties inside will leave to replace them. When there is only one party left that's the boss and his companions. So if a hideout is too hard for you deal with the parties outside then ambush the remaining ones as the leave and then go for the boss. This is realistic and a well established component of the game.

The problem is that a lot of the hideouts stack 4-5 bandits forever. They never leave and make it so there's 60-120 bandits inside. Did a test and waited 30 days at distance that allowed me to see parties inside and around but not close.

1: Maybe not all of them but when near a hideout I see plenty of coming and going. Maybe you are to close causing noone to leave?
2: Imho it should be more then enough to complete the quest. Had one this morning where I initially failed, went to a nearby town. Rested for a few days and came back with stronger troops. Still had like 5 days left to complete it....
3: It makes alot of sense really. If you notice what is beeing implied you have to sneak in because they will otherwise scatter to the win if a large force tries to barge in. Basicly you have to jump them because otherwise they will just run. Makes sense.
4: The game draws the units from the top first. Put your companions and/or elite soldiers at the top for this mission. Works perfectly.
5: well honestly I havent seen more then 2 dozen troops in a hide out at any given time. How the hell do you get so many bandits in there in the first place?

Yes indeed.
Easy to fix with a mod, but it also shouldn't stay that ridiculous in the game on the long term for everyone.
Point 3. alone make it such a nonsense as it is now, its just silly.
You are already waiting until its dark instead of just hunt the ****ers down in the area and then bulldoze their place.

3: It makes alot of sense really. If you notice what is beeing implied you have to sneak in because they will otherwise scatter to the win if a large force tries to barge in. Basicly you have to jump them because otherwise they will just run. Makes sense.

Are you reading what you are writing there?
You come with 100 men and "jump them" with 10 people while your army is waiting out of sight because otherwise they would run away?
Yea, that... makes completly... uhm, no.

The problem is that a lot of the hideouts stack 4-5 bandits forever. They never leave and make it so there's 60-120 bandits inside. Did a test and waited 30 days at distance that allowed me to see parties inside and around but not close.

Have you tried hunting down the parties on patrol? If there are already other parties raiding an area others have no reason to leave. Deal with them and then those inside will start to move or perhaps that one was bugged.

Have you tried hunting down the parties on patrol? If there are already other parties raiding an area others have no reason to leave. Deal with them and then those inside will start to move or perhaps that one was bugged.

Yep it doesn't work. I think that hideouts spawned initially at campaign start are bugged cause the ones that spawn after I destroy (a lot reloading and nerves included) the initial ones doesn't seem to stack so much units.

On the other hand, if I have 100 soldiers and find a bandit hideout with 50+ bandits in it, I am not just going to sneak in and try to kill them all with 8-10 units. Instead I am going to surround the hideout with my 100 soldiers and send them ALL in to root out the bandits. This is realistic.

On the other hand, if I have 100 soldiers and find a bandit hideout with 50+ bandits in it, I am not just going to sneak in and try to kill them all with 8-10 units. Instead I am going to surround the hideout with my 100 soldiers and send them ALL in to root out the bandits. This is realistic.
Yeah, the mechanics is unintuitive, and unfun, and also very not fine.

THe issue's not that the hideout has lots of troops.

The issue is that I have 150 troops and decide to bring 10. Don't even get the option to try and raid them before they all run away or something

You always take your companions, no matter where they are in your list, and a portion of the troops in descending order. So I keep my Khans Guard at the top so they always get pulled in, and hit F4 when entering to toggle Fire at will. Steppe bandit hideouts are a cakewalk.

THe issue's not that the hideout has lots of troops.

The issue is that I have 150 troops and decide to bring 10. Don't even get the option to try and raid them before they all run away or something

This is a bandit hideout. If you try to bring 150 men to the place that they chose as hideout they would spot you and run away before you reach it.

1: Maybe not all of them but when near a hideout I see plenty of coming and going. Maybe you are to close causing noone to leave?
2: Imho it should be more then enough to complete the quest. Had one this morning where I initially failed, went to a nearby town. Rested for a few days and came back with stronger troops. Still had like 5 days left to complete it....
4: The game draws the units from the top first. Put your companions and/or elite soldiers at the top for this mission. Works perfectly.
5: well honestly I havent seen more then 2 dozen troops in a hide out at any given time. How the hell do you get so many bandits in there in the first place?

1: Proximity to the hideout has nothing to do with whether they leave or not. On many occasions, I have left the area of the hideout completely to return several days later, and the exact same parties with the exact same number of dudes is still just sitting there doing nothing.
2: 8-10 men is certainly enough to complete the quest if you are careful and there are only 2 dozen or less men (or so) there. However, I have seen cases where I am asked to go clear out a camp with 40-50 or more men, and none of them ever leave no matter what. Normally, you can fight the guys piecemeal, killing a handful without alerting the rest. With so many, though, (especially with mountain bandit camps) there is one part where you alert a small group and it pulls literally the rest of the map...and you can't physically get past that group without alerting them. Then a single lucky shot from the 30+ pro javelin snipers can end your quest.
3: I agree that it makes sense to have the player assault with a small group, but only if the number of bandits is limited. A camp with 50+ men isn't going to be able to just slink into the shadows. I say they should just somehow limit the number of bandits in a camp.
4: It doesn't do that perfectly. Just like in Warband, it draws troops based on an algorithm that prioritizes companions, soldiers at the top of the list, and soldiers of higher rank. Moreover, it doesn't give you a regular result, so it is at least partly randomized. I know this for a fact because when I have saved just outside a camp because it has like 45 dudes and I have to reload and try like 15 times to be able to do it, the troops it gives me are different every time even if I change nothing between attempts. The only consistency is that it seems to give you companions before giving you anything else. It doesn't always give you the guys at the top and it doesn't always give you the highest rank. I have gone to camps with the top of the list populated by like 30 tier 3+ guys and it still sometimes gives me recruits from the bottom of the list.
5: You haven't tried enough bandit camps.

Maybe there should be 2 options when you go into a hideout:
1) Attack bandits with your full army. In this case, you get to bring all your men. However, the bandits have a chance of getting away (they are sneaky buggers with lots of "alarms" all around their camp). If they get away, you get some very basic loot from their camp. If you catch them, you get to fight them but do not get their "burried/hidden" loot
2) You decide to take a handful of men (say 10) and sneak into the camp to be able to surprise them and for them not to be able to hide their most precious loot.

Back
Top Bottom