Need More Info Hideous mountain geometry popping when zooming in and out on the main campaign map

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.8.0
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary:
After returning to the game after about a 6 month break, I'm noticing hideous mountain geometry popping when zooming in and out on the main campaign map. This occurs on the main branch, as well as the latest beta branch (1.8.0). This issue is present whether tesselation is enabled or disabled.

Also, am I crazy or is the campaign map texture detail lower than it was? I remember it being beautiful, whereas now it looks blurry and grainy (and my specs and settings are higher than before!). (See update below - the culprit was likely DLSS "quality" - turning it off made my textures look lovely and sharp again).

How to Reproduce:
Make a new sandbox game. Scroll around and zoom in and out on a few different mountain ranges. So far about half of various mountain locations have several hideous popping glitches. Literally unplayable!

Have you used cheats and if so which:No
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
vRKzNJH.jpg
VGXMUek.jpg

Computer Specs:
GPU: 3080 TI
GPU Driver Version: geforce 516.94
CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 16gb
Motherboard: MAG Z590 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7D0:cool:
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): WD Blue SN570 1TB

Last edited:
Important: this glitch also happens in the main branch (e1.7.2).

The peaks of mountains are literally popping up 20 meters into the air when I pan slightly to the right, and receding once again once I pan back to the left. I was looking forward to playing but this is insanely distracting. Not joking when I say literally unplayable. I also notice that the valleys and other non-mountainous terrain has this glitch. This issue occurs on both high and medium terrain detail, and with or without tesselation enabled.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have attached screenshots to assist you in hopefully fixing this bug... Please take a look at the mountain adjacent to the shore, in the center-left. Thank you very much.

Update regarding blurry campaign map textures: I forgot that I like to force anisotropic filtering 16x in the Nvidia control panel, which gives sharper textures than in-game solutions for many games. This improved the texture detail. Additionally, I have disabled DLSS, and the textures look very good now. The only issue is the geometry upon which those textures rest has been possessed by a satanic tormentor. To clarify, the geometry bug was present before I made any changes in the nvidia control panel.

Last edited:
More screenshots. I have realized that textures may also be involved. Notice the (bottom-most, large squarish deposit) snow jumping up the mountain between these two images:
Al85DL6.jpg
qcjwRQf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom