Hidden features

Users who are viewing this thread

So I was looking at the tournament code and noticed this piece of code (also tested and yes it is working)
private void OnDailyTick(){
Hero leaderBoardLeader = Campaign.Current.TournamentManager.GetLeaderBoardLeader();
if (leaderBoardLeader != null && leaderBoardLeader.IsAlive && leaderBoardLeader.Clan != null){
leaderBoardLeader.Clan.AddRenown(1f, true);
}}
I checked the encyclopedia and conversations in arena and saw no mention of it anywhere. Apparently the top character on the leaderboard earns it's clan 1 renown per day. While it is a pretty minor bonus (should probably be a bit bigger or give different rewards based on leaderboard position) it's an incentive not to skip tournaments.

So to all the other people browsing the code, have you found any other implemented and working mechanics / features that we are not told exist / get explained in the game?

Most of the things within the code I think has been revealed (which don't currently work). Some of the more common themes for this is the co-op code (not sure if it has since been removed) when TW was looking around for ways at one point to try and implement this feature, but obviously not even close to a phase of existence or priority (I think this is why TW has officially ruled it out, to remove speculation or/and hope for it to come in the future).

There are a couple that I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Tax corruption. If a castle or town's security falls below 75, then corruption begins to affect the amount of gold earned from settlement taxes. The settlement's loyalty is what determines how much is stolen. What's cool about it is that if loyalty is >75, then you actually gain extra gold from taxes due to corruption, which implies your cronies are siphoning off money from the town's budget to line the pockets of your clan (up to 25% extra). If loyalty is <75, then as much as 75% of your taxes can be lost to corruption. Here's the function below. It looks like there is technically a description for when it happens, but it might not actually show up in-game because taxes and tariffs are rolled into one line on the balance sheet per settlement.
Calculate-Security-Gold-Cut-Due-To-Corruption.png

• Also related to security, killing bandit parties "near" a town will instantly give a flat boost to security, and likewise if a caravan or villager party is killed/looted in the vicinity of a town, then a small amount of security is instantly lost instead. It seems these mechanics are partially bugged atm though. For the security loss of the looted parties it almost always ends up being 0 because it uses the strength of the party after the battle (and a destroyed party's strength is 0). It probably should be using the amount of party strength lost during the battle (pre-battle strength minus post-battle strength). For the bandit parties it uses the post-battle strength of the attacking party to determine the security gain, which is usually a lord's party. It should be using the lost strength of the bandit party instead. The distance that these battles must take place within to have an effect is 50, which is far enough for it to affect multiple towns at once. Here are the related functions.
Map-Event-Ended.png

Party-Security-Effects.png
I'm sure there are other things that I've stumbled upon, but I can't remember them all at the moment. The line between hidden feature and unexplained feature gets a bit blurry anyway, because to most people the mechanics are a black box and they have no understanding of how they actually work in detail.

I really appreciate you guys taking the effort to do this sort of thing, even though I have nothing to contribute.

• Also related to security, killing bandit parties "near" a town will instantly give a flat boost to security, and likewise if a caravan or villager party is killed/looted in the vicinity of a town, then a small amount of security is instantly lost instead. It seems these mechanics are partially bugged atm though. For the security loss of the looted parties it almost always ends up being 0 because it uses the strength of the party after the battle (and a destroyed party's strength is 0). It probably should be using the amount of party strength lost during the battle (pre-battle strength minus post-battle strength). For the bandit parties it uses the post-battle strength of the attacking party to determine the security gain, which is usually a lord's party. It should be using the lost strength of the bandit party instead. The distance that these battles must take place within to have an effect is 50, which is far enough for it to affect multiple towns at once. Here are the related functions.
Map-Event-Ended.png

I'm not good at reading code, but from my look, there is nothing excluding the player party's attacks on caravans and villagers from draining security in an enemy town. Is that correct or did I miss something?

I really appreciate you guys taking the effort to do this sort of thing, even though I have nothing to contribute.
No problem! I enjoy poking through the code, and I'm hoping that by dropping all of the information I find on the forums I can push the discussion in a more productive direction. Plus I don't think a lot of people really appreciate just how interconnected this game really is, and I think the devs deserve more credit for that.
I'm not good at reading code, but from my look, there is nothing excluding the player party's attacks on caravans and villagers from draining security in an enemy town. Is that correct or did I miss something?
To be honest I had a little trouble following this bit of code too, but by using breakpoints I could see that it uses the total strength of the attacked party after the battle ends, meaning that because the battle usually ends with the caravan/villager party losing and getting destroyed, the total party strength = 0. If you plug that into the SecurityEffect function in the bottom picture you get -1 * (0/200) = 0 security loss.

So while yes, the player can also attack villagers and caravans to trigger this function, it ends up doing nothing most of the time. For it to have an actual impact, the post-battle party strength of the caravan/villager would need to be subtracted from the party strength from before the battle to find the portion of the party that was lost in the fight. If they can fix that, then it should work as you'd expect.

The security gain from the defeated bandits section actually uses the total strength of the attacker party (by mistake I think). Since it's usually lords attacking bandits, that means the total strength of the lord's party is used for the security gain calculation. Since the lord's party is usually pretty powerful, it means the security gain is usually between 1-2 points per battle. So that half "works," but not quite properly.

So anyway, something that was driving me absolutely bonkers had to do with marriage. Sometimes I would get the "I'm just not attracted to you" line, like most players, and someone else (on here or Reddit, I can't find the post anymore) mentioned that you could get around that by savescumming, going back into the facegen and adjusting your looks until she likes you appearance. Originally, I was skeptical and took it as a placebo but when I tested it (not looking through code, empirical observation) it appeared different women had varied preferences. Some didn't like beards, some liked different hair or eye colors, some liked scars, etc.

Well, I started digging and found where it is (I think...) in TaleWorlds.CampaignSystem under Romance:
pHRlf1Y.png

This is quite the cool feature actually, but it is buried so deep that most players will never notice.

There are a couple that I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Tax corruption. If a castle or town's security falls below 75, then corruption begins to affect the amount of gold earned from settlement taxes. The settlement's loyalty is what determines how much is stolen. What's cool about it is that if loyalty is >75, then you actually gain extra gold from taxes due to corruption, which implies your cronies are siphoning off money from the town's budget to line the pockets of your clan (up to 25% extra). If loyalty is <75, then as much as 75% of your taxes can be lost to corruption. Here's the function below. It looks like there is technically a description for when it happens, but it might not actually show up in-game because taxes and tariffs are rolled into one line on the balance sheet per settlement.
Calculate-Security-Gold-Cut-Due-To-Corruption.png

Map-Event-Ended.png

I'm sure there are other things that I've stumbled upon, but I can't remember them all at the moment. The line between hidden feature and unexplained feature gets a bit blurry anyway, because to most people the mechanics are a black box and they have no understanding of how they actually work in detail.
Corruption at every corner huh. Charges and Public Execution should definitely be a thing.

Your character's body fat is dynamic. The hidden weight and build sliders change dynamically depending on your actions and skills. From the little I looked at in the code and experimenting, I discovered your Weight slider is mostly influenced by waiting in settlements (making you fat) and fighting battles (making you thin). And all the combat skills including smithing affect your Build slider as well.

Your character's body fat is dynamic. The hidden weight and build sliders change dynamically depending on your actions and skills. From the little I looked at in the code and experimenting, I discovered your Weight slider is mostly influenced by waiting in settlements (making you fat) and fighting battles (making you thin). And all the combat skills including smithing affect your Build slider as well.

Is that already in 1.4.2 or is that in the beta?

This is something that should probably be optional. Since the game is mostly fighting, no one is ever going to be fat. I mean, it's an interesting idea, but it's not something that I personally feel is worthwhile. Give me the body sliders and let me adjust them as I see fit and then lock them.

This is something that should probably be optional. Since the game is mostly fighting, no one is ever going to be fat. I mean, it's an interesting idea, but it's not something that I personally feel is worthwhile. Give me the body sliders and let me adjust them as I see fit and then lock them.

Well, it would be dope for you to see your character all fit in the beginning because you are slaughtering peasants and nobles alike, on the quest to achieve absolute power for your clan. Then once you are established, with 8 sons & daughters, ready to take over your legacy, would be cool to see your character all fat, old, and out of shape due to you not fighting a battle in a long time!

Well, it would be dope for you to see your character all fit in the beginning because you are slaughtering peasants and nobles alike, on the quest to achieve absolute power for your clan. Then once you are established, with 8 sons & daughters, ready to take over your legacy, would be cool to see your character all fat, old, and out of shape due to you not fighting a battle in a long time!
Agree, I think it should be harder for your character to stay fit as they get older, even if you're always fighting. Currently, the effects of the dynamic character build seems negligible.

+1
Well put, and besides, historical mods with lords having nicknames like Louis VI the Fat wouldn't make much sense, unless you make the nickname dynamic as well.

EDIT: Funnily enough, Louis VI was actually known as either the Fat or the Fighter...so it kinda proves you won't necessarily lose weight just because you're a warrior. You could be fleeing from the enemy and lose weight as well?

Last edited:
Oh man seeing those fit slider make me wonder why they spent times coding that and not finishing their perk system first. It is cool feature, but it clearly not something that many people wanted it. Heck some of them hate to becoming older in this game.

Oh man seeing those fit slider make me wonder why they spent times coding that and not finishing their perk system first. It is cool feature, but it clearly not something that many people wanted it. Heck some of them hate to becoming older in this game.

And others like it. I am very glad we are not the bosses of TW employees, but Armageden. I am very glad that TW has implemented new ideas and features that, might now not be received too well since everything is being looked at with an atomic microscope. In the long run, people will realize the value of the sum of the features. This game is TW vision, and I would rather get the intended product first whole and then critique it.

Here's another one: Army leaders earn influence hourly while raiding villages and besieging fiefs. The amount earned is based on the collective strength of the army. The actual equation for influence per hour is [(Sqrt(ArmyStrength) + 2) / 240], which usually works out to be ~0.1 to 0.2 influence/hour.

Back
Top Bottom