Hi-Hair [Download]

Users who are viewing this thread

Aeon

Squire
Edited 29/05/2010 - open source

Some people don't have karma to become modeller.
I've understood I was one of them,  but if my early work from could be re-used by other, please be my guest ! :smile:

For image editing :
hair_768.psd
(.psd texture 768*76:cool:

jrqxkn.jpg

Feedback welcome !

:roll:

Stick with the dxt5 the texture sizes are the same and the dxt5 is superior quality when using blended alpha maps (which you are).
I think 1024x is alright, it is 4 times more memory than 512x texture so you may want to consider 768x768 because it is only a little over 2x file size....I think...ugh math but either way you are only changing 1 texture things like this only cause problems when people start using 2048x2048 or using 1024x1024 on everything.

About the normal map I am somewhat confused since it appears to be using one in-game already but I cant find any connected to the hair material or in the textures folder.

Edit: noop doesn't already have a normal map and attaching one to the hair material wont work so your only hope would be if specular_shader_noskin_bump_high supports an alpha....

edit2: specular_shader_skin_bump_high_aniso works with a normal map and alpha.

xenoargh said:
1024 is fine for LOD0, just do all lods with half that or smaller (I'd go 256 + sharpen, I bet you can't tell).

this is what mip-mapping is for, automatic decimation of texture at distance.
(plus the whole anti-grainyness thing).

Thanks Barf, I've followed your advice to preserve usage memory and I've drawn a 768*768 texture but alas I can't use it since DDS Converter 2.1 fail conversion : "Error : Not a power of 2"

Does anyone know another tool to convert ?
And more worrying... Such texture size will be supported by game ?  :???:

Edit :
Ok, I tried to use Gimp+DDS plugin.
It can save/convert image non-power of 2 , but ! :
- If compressed (DXT), mipmaps cannot be generated.
- If uncompressed, I loose alpha channel.

anim_face_wall.gif

Aeon said:
Thanks Barf, I've followed your advice to preserve usage memory and I've drawn a 768*768 texture but alas I can't use it since DDS Converter 2.1 fail conversion : "Error : Not a power of 2"

Does anyone know another tool to convert ?
And more worrying... Such texture size will be supported by game ?  :???:

It's because of texture in game developpement have to be a power of 2.
128x128, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 are the main sizes used by games. but you can make as you want a 128x1024 px texture size. It just have to be a power of 2.

So I could either stick with 768* DXT5 and smallers ones to commute mipmaps (assigning them to LOD, as xenoargh told). That's too much for myself since I'm a noob.
Or I could donwscale 768* > 512* (texture result will look more crumpled whereas if I had drawn it natively 512*  :sad: ).

But anyway, I won't draw it again , I'm quite fed up with that one.

Well I'll be, go with the 1024 size texture, honestly for 1 texture its perfectly fine.....this is worrying me since I have been using 768x768 for a great many things....****.

I give up that hair/face hi-resolution project, I have no skill enough to handle it.  :neutral:
>> Source realised, check first post.

Oh, and if someone could post ingame screenshots with normal map working. Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom