Heraldic Battle Standards?

Users who are viewing this thread

cartonofjuice

Sergeant at Arms
I've recently been trying to add a heraldic battle standard to the game, similar to how they're used in viking conquest. However, for whatever reason they keep breaking
https://imgur.com/a/lWJE22z
^ here is an image of what it looks like in game
I used this guide on how to add in heraldics: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,121012.0.html
module_items:
["heraldic_standard", "Battle Standard", [("heraldic_standard",0)], itp_type_two_handed_wpn|itp_merchandise| itp_primary|itp_penalty_with_shield|itp_wooden_parry,itc_staff|itcf_carry_axe_back,
76 , weight(1.5)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(90) | weapon_length(157)|swing_damage(26 , cut) | thrust_damage(15 ,  pierce),imodbits_polearm,  [(ti_on_init_item, [(store_trigger_param_1, ":agent_no"),(store_trigger_param_2, ":troop_no"),(call_script, "script_shield_item_set_banner", "tableau_heraldic_standard", ":agent_no", ":troop_no")])]],
module_tableau_materials:
  ("heraldic_standard", 0, "sample_heraldic_standard_banner", 512, 512, 0, 0, 0, 0,
  [
      (store_script_param, ":banner_mesh", 1),

(set_fixed_point_multiplier, 100),
        (store_sub, ":background_slot", ":banner_mesh", arms_meshes_begin), #banner_meshes_begin),
      (troop_get_slot, ":background_color", "trp_banner_background_color_array", ":background_slot"),
      (cur_tableau_set_background_color, ":background_color"),

(init_position, pos1),
      (cur_tableau_add_mesh_with_vertex_color, "mesh_heraldic_armor_bg", pos1, 200, 100, ":background_color"),
      (init_position, pos1),
      (position_set_x, pos1, 1:cool:,
      (position_set_y, pos1, 170),
      (cur_tableau_add_mesh, ":banner_mesh", pos1, 113, 0),
      (init_position, pos1),
      (position_set_z, pos1, 30),
      (cur_tableau_add_mesh, "tableau_mesh_heraldic_standard_banner", pos1, 0, 0),
      (cur_tableau_set_camera_parameters, 0, 200, 200, 0, 100000),
      ]),
module_meshes:
  ("tableau_mesh_heraldic_standard_banner", 0, "tableau_mesh_heraldic_standard_banner",  0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1),
  ("tableau_mesh_heraldic_standard", 0, "tableau_mesh_heraldic_standard",  0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1),
All help would be appreciated.

Heraldic battle standards are a pain to get right. Yours doesn’t show any texture at all. Given you should have only created a transparent window for the heraldic image to be superimposed into, the flag pole should be showing up as brown wood even if the heraldic positions are all wrong. Check your rgl.log for complaints about missing textures and make sure they are loaded by module.ini from their brf files in the correct order (textures then materials then meshes). Once you sort that out, you can debug your code and set the positions for the heraldic images by tedious trial and error.

NPC99 said:
Heraldic flag test.

I want to use heraldry to transfer map banners onto the battlefield, giving each AI Lord a bannerman carrying his own personal/regimental flag.

To keep such a flag animated and allow its AI bannerman to fight with a sword requires typical WFaS/Warband gymnastics. Tableau materials apply the animated flag shader to the whole flagsuit mesh, making the bannerman's jacket jig up and down on his body - not pretty. The only way I found to avoid this was rigging the animated flag separately from his flagsuit as a skinned helmet. That fills his helmet equipment slot. Who goes to war without a helmet? The helmet in the video doesn't occupy that helmet slot. It's rigged as part of the flagsuit body armour. Clearly, only suitable for AI - everything is flagged itp_unique to keep it out of player's hands just like the original flag gauntlets.

I've still got to edit the triggers which give AI Lords infantry standard bearers and musicians, but it should be easy to code mounted bannermen.

The remaining problems are:

1. The low quality/resolution of map banners - they were never intended for use on this scale.
2. The tall narrow shape of map banners limits the possible shape of battle flags to retain their cantons.
3. My cut down battle flag has a ragged edge and too many polys.

Redoing every banner to a better resolution would take a long time and might require all the banner templates to be re-UV mapped. I may just tweak some of the cruder ones, which clash and add expensive custom flagsuits for important Lords such as:

_t8Cb.jpg

The lifeguard's flag is for King Charles as his royal standard is already being used as a generic faction banner and will be carried by his infantry standard bearer. I wanted to avoid duplicating that flag with his bannerman.

Back
Top Bottom