Help with adding a new face

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello all, just registered here so if I'm missing something I'm deeply sorry!

I was hoping one of you kind intelligent people could assist me, I'm trying to get into a game of Warband at the minute, and I'm using the Prophesy of Pendor as my leading mod. However, there's a face from Brytenwalda which I really like, and I'd very much like to be able to add it into PoP as a new face option. I did manage to simply overwrite a .dds file, but I didn't find that satisfactory (I wanted to look unique, and then [doh] I realised it had assigned my face to a fair few other gents around the game world also).

I also have done some googling prior to this and I did stumble across a brief guide on how to add a new face, but it wasn't worded too clearly (not enough hand holding for me I guess). I've really given it a shot (including some messing about with openBRF), but I'm just now hoping for some clarity from people who know what they're doing.

Ok, there are 3 files you will need to edit, materials_face_gen.brftextures_face_gen.brf and skins.txt

Copy the material and textures from Brytenwalda you want to appear and paste them into the BRFs in PoP,

now go to Brytenwalda and find skin.txt and open it, ctrl+F to find the material name of the face you want and copy the infomation, it should look like this.

manface_young_2 4291551456 1 3  hair_blonde  4294967295  4289742615  4283443737 

Now paste this into the PoP skins.txt file at the end of the list of materials, above the sound references and add 1 to the number before the material references.

Faces work on a number system, and it just remembers what face number you have for instance if the PoP mod has 20 faces, you will be 21 making you unique in your own eyes BUT other players will see you with a white face as there files don't have a face 21.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your concise instructions and the time you took to help me! I have however hit an early bump in the road - for some reason PoP doesn't have the face .brf files you mentioned in the resource folder (I downloaded it like that, and the mod runs fine). Brytenwalda has those files, though. Hmm.

PoP must be using the native version of materials_face_gen.brf,  textures_face_gen.brf so they wouldn't appear in the mod files, just copy the files from CommonRes into the PoP module and make the edits, you will also need to open module.ini and set them from
load_resource = materials_face_gen
to
load_mod_resource = materials_face_gen
and
load_resource = textures_face_gen
to
load_mod_resource = textures_face_gen

Reporting back again  :grin:

So I did as you instructed and I did indeed manage to add a new face to PoP! However, the face is completely black and missing it's texture. I copied the texture and material from Brytenwalda and placed them in the corresponding PoP .brf files, although one thing I noticed in openBrf was that while I could see the face net for some of the faces in Brytenwalda, a few (including the one I wanted to use) were blank. The face I'm wanting to use is actually the "manface_rugged" texture, but it seems someone has modelled scarring onto the face and renamed it as "manface_rugged_2", so I don't know if that complicates things somehow.

Just a quick update to ShaunRemo - managed to get it fully working! Just forgot to copy the texture into PoP's Texture folder. :')
Thank you very much for your help chief! Doubt I'd have it working at all without your assistance!

Hey Sir Gowe, do you want to do what ProverbsofHell did and copy a single face from one mod to another making it unique, or did you want faces from one mod to replace from another?

ShaunRemo said:
Ok, there are 3 files you will need to edit, materials_face_gen.brftextures_face_gen.brf and skins.txt

Copy the material and textures from Brytenwalda you want to appear and paste them into the BRFs in PoP,

now go to Brytenwalda and find skin.txt and open it, ctrl+F to find the material name of the face you want and copy the infomation, it should look like this.

manface_young_2 4291551456 1 3  hair_blonde  4294967295  4289742615  4283443737 

Now paste this into the PoP skins.txt file at the end of the list of materials, above the sound references and add 1 to the number before the material references.

Faces work on a number system, and it just remembers what face number you have for instance if the PoP mod has 20 faces, you will be 21 making you unique in your own eyes BUT other players will see you with a white face as there files don't have a face 21.

Hope this helps.

can you elaborate a little on this? I'm following your instructions and i'm not completely sure i'm doing it right

Faces in Mount and Blade work like this.

1. There's a mesh (3D model) and a texture (the human skin) that the mesh uses.
2. Meshes and textures are kept in .brf files in Resources folder.
3. .brf files are loaded by registering them in module.ini with load_mod_resource.
4. skin.txt details how the meshes, textures, and hairs (also a set of mesh and texture) are used.

So, the first thing you want to do is to copy the .brf and texture files containing the face and hair you want in Viking Conquest and paste them to the mod you want. You can change the name of the .brf files. For example, in case there's already a .brf file of the same name there. You can technically change the name of the textures too, but you will have to modify your .brf files to use the proper new names, which is a hassle.

Then you register the .brf files into module.ini. You register .brf files, not texture files. The texture is "contained" in the .brf file. Add it using the load_mod_resource command.

Lastly you just edit the skin.txt. It's structured by "races," and by default there are only "male" and "female" races. In Viking Conquest there are more "races" like Briton female and stuff, so the skin.txt is longer. Inside each "race" you will see a text that indicates which "body" it uses. After that, the "heads" it uses, and this is the one you want to edit. Below the heads are the hairs, beards and the textures. You will see familiar names there. Those are the names of the meshes. This is how you tell the game what meshes are used for what race.

Now, I have NEVER added new heads into an already existing race. I have always replaced its whole heads, so I'd recommend you do the same, but basically you just want to copy those numbers from the original mod (Viking Conquest's skin.txt). Just copy that whole "male_head bla bla Post-Edit" block.

About textures, you also need to do the same thing. Just copy the whole texture block. Like "13  manface_basic 4294967295 bla bla"

A little note, you will see a number before the hairs, beards and textures list. Like that "13 manface_basic" thing. It indicates the amount of hairs, beards and textures used. If you're adding a new hair or beard, you need to adjust the number to match the amount of items now used. Otherwise the game will crash after loading.

Grank said:
Faces in Mount and Blade work like this.

1. There's a mesh (3D model) and a texture (the human skin) that the mesh uses.
2. Meshes and textures are kept in .brf files in Resources folder.
3. .brf files are loaded by registering them in module.ini with load_mod_resource.
4. skin.txt details how the meshes, textures, and hairs (also a set of mesh and texture) are used.

So, the first thing you want to do is to copy the .brf and texture files containing the face and hair you want in Viking Conquest and paste them to the mod you want. You can change the name of the .brf files. For example, in case there's already a .brf file of the same name there. You can technically change the name of the textures too, but you will have to modify your .brf files to use the proper new names, which is a hassle.

Then you register the .brf files into module.ini. You register .brf files, not texture files. The texture is "contained" in the .brf file. Add it using the load_mod_resource command.

Lastly you just edit the skin.txt. It's structured by "races," and by default there are only "male" and "female" races. In Viking Conquest there are more "races" like Briton female and stuff, so the skin.txt is longer. Inside each "race" you will see a text that indicates which "body" it uses. After that, the "heads" it uses, and this is the one you want to edit. Below the heads are the hairs, beards and the textures. You will see familiar names there. Those are the names of the meshes. This is how you tell the game what meshes are used for what race.

Now, I have NEVER added new heads into an already existing race. I have always replaced its whole heads, so I'd recommend you do the same, but basically you just want to copy those numbers from the original mod (Viking Conquest's skin.txt). Just copy that whole "male_head bla bla Post-Edit" block.

About textures, you also need to do the same thing. Just copy the whole texture block. Like "13  manface_basic 4294967295 bla bla"

A little note, you will see a number before the hairs, beards and textures list. Like that "13 manface_basic" thing. It indicates the amount of hairs, beards and textures used. If you're adding a new hair or beard, you need to adjust the number to match the amount of items now used. Otherwise the game will crash after loading.

Hey! Thanks for your reply! I actually have done all of the above.. I pasted the female face thingy over the warsword conquest one and edited the skin/hair. the problem is since there’s more than one person like race( there’s elf and human and elf uses a different face mesh/head model) the game crashes whenever i go to a tavern which elves exist. it’s super annoying and idk if i am doing something wrong or it’s just not compatible. i can share my skin file and module if that helps.. maybe you can see something wrong in it that i can’t figure out :smile:

Hello, if i want to add new head in the same race, should i just copy the text from osp in the skins.txt? I ask, becouse different osp have different head meshes. The question is about skins.txt. At general, i want to have different woman faces in the mod, i know there are the way to do it through the game editor for each lady, but is there the other way to do it? If i add new faces (let's assume the meshes is ok) in the skins.txt, will it work for ladies in the game, and, if it will, i don't understand, how?

Hello, if i want to add new head in the same race, should i just copy the text from osp in the skins.txt? I ask, becouse different osp have different head meshes. The question is about skins.txt. At general, i want to have different woman faces in the mod, i know there are the way to do it through the game editor for each lady, but is there the other way to do it? If i add new faces (let's assume the meshes is ok) in the skins.txt, will it work for ladies in the game, and, if it will, i don't understand, how?
Normally each OSP has a description about how to install the heads etc.

It's just one head mesh per race, you can see that in module_skins. For the lords and ladies you can go to the face generator screen, create a fitting face and obtain the face code which you can use for the respective troop entry. Enable edit mode and press ctrl+E in face generator screen to obtain face codes.

If haven't module system for a mod, what .txt files i need to edit and where (except skins.txt) for add new race, or i can't do that? I need this only for adding new faces to the game.

Back
Top Bottom