Helmet clipping issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey partner, I am speculating, but I think this an engine level bug related to skin scale. Skin scale wasn't used until later in the game's lifecycle, and so it's got a lot of bugs. Things like shields and hands flying off dead agents who aren't using skin scale 1.0 is the most obvious issue related to skin scale but this seems to be one of them.

My guess is that it the engine is resetting the helmets root position to the 1.0 scale head bone's position because it's not checking the skin scale when updating the inventory after dropping the item.

Unfortunately this will never be fixed as Warband is past end of life and its engine is no longer receiving updates internally.

WSE2 is your best bet to getting this corrected as it can inject new functions and patches into the engine.

Upvote 2
it's interesting also that it seems to only happen when you randomize the main character's face, if you manually change something in your face after that, the issue doesn't appear then. Resetting your face doesn't fix it either
Weird! You're absolutely right with that being the way to reproduce the issue.

It may be that the random button is randomizing the face keys in such a way that it's altering a key that doesn't technically exist in the VS face and that is why the offset exists.

I'm going to ping @K700 and see if he can shed some light as to what the Randomize face button actually does and see if it isn't modifying some out-of-range face key in VC.

Upvote 0
I have also found this comment in module_skins.py of VC 2.063

# VC2.060 it turns out the skel_* system was largely (but not completely) replaced by undocumented hard-coded model sizes

The problem persists if I reload the game, as soon as I update my inventory in a scene, I get this issue again.
here's an example of the face keys I copied from a randomized face in the edit mode

0x00000001981092813d1baec5646958c300000000001205650000000000000000

I tried changing race scaling to 1.3 and got the same results - the helmet fell into the head just as much proportionally as before

Pic1 Pic2

And it still only breaks for male characters, female characters work well in the same conditions

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have also found this comment in module_skins.py of VC 2.063

# VC2.060 it turns out the skel_* system was largely (but not completely) replaced by undocumented hard-coded model sizes

The problem persists if I reload the game, as soon as I update my inventory in a scene, I get this issue again.
here's an example of the face keys I copied from a randomized face in the edit mode

0x00000001981092813d1baec5646958c300000000001205650000000000000000

I tried changing race scaling to 1.3 and got the same results - the helmet fell into the head just as much proportionally as before

Pic1 Pic2

And it still only breaks for male characters, female characters work well in the same conditions
Thank you Hersir!
We will check it and try to figure out what is going on. :grin:

Upvote 1
Back
Top Bottom