MP Height as a variable is terrible and has no place in multiplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Noudelle

Grandmaster Knight
This has already been talked about a lot previously, but I feel it's needed to bring it up again, because of how disruptive it is to the combat experience.

In this clip, I'm at maximum height, while Vic is at minimum height. Because of that, I thrust my spear completely over his head while attempting to hit him. We were not testing for this at that point, but it prompted us to do so.

In this clip, Vic and I tested chatacter height and kicking distance. It's hard to tell whether or not height does affect kicking distance, but it would seem that it does, although only marginally. This clip is longer so you can see for yourself from different angles. I didn't want to upload only a short clip, since it's so hard to tell. You can come to your own conclusions with that one.

In this clip, Vic decided he'd had enough of the horrible testing conditions I've been putting him through, so I had to draft Brandis instead. We did the same test as in the previous clip, except this time with arming swords of the same length. I again was max height while Brandis was min height. There was a more noticeable difference this time around, although still smaller quite small.

Another aspect of height difference I've never seen talked about is how smaller characters tend to be blocked from view by your own character, especially if yours is tall. This makes it even harder than it already is (especially with the animation blending) to make sense of what your tiny opponent is doing.
I don't have much to say on this except that I hate it and please change it.

There is also the matter of shield coverage being affected by height. Since shield size doesn't scale with character height, smaller characters will get more coverage. This has been discussed before however and I don't feel like making a video of this and explaining why I hate it is necessary. Just know that I do.

I could go more indepth on why I think this should change, but this has already been discussed in the past and I would only be repeating what other people and myself have already said. I'm making this thread mostly so that Taleworlds doesn't forget that it's an issue and that it shouldn't be part of multiplayer.

Height is another variable that adds nothing to the mechanical value of the game, and only serves to make it less consistent.

Please fix.

Tbh i dont think this is a pressing issue since, its in our hands anyways more or less. For Roleplayers its a nice feature and it seems to have it ups and downs. Stabbing with the spear over teammates might be pretty strong.

Last edited:
If height affects all factors of a character (speed, reach, mobility, whatever else I can’t think of right now) I think it’s a great concept and adds more to a characters build or load out.

If height ONLY affects reach or ONLY hit box size, I think it’s a major issue.

If height affects all factors of a character (speed, reach, mobility, whatever else I can’t think of right now) I think it’s a great concept and adds more to a characters build or load out.

If height ONLY affects reach or ONLY hit box size, I think it’s a major issue.
Height does not affect anything outside of hitbox size and reach.

If it affected the other variables I mentioned would you want height included in MP? (Add strength to that list for taller characters if we’re going to go the speed/mobility route as well)
No because it would be impossible to balance for what little depth it may add.
There would always be an optimal height option regardless of how well balanced height could be.
Also, it would add to the ubiquitous inconsistency of combat at the moment, since everyone would have different stats.

I'd rather have a simpler, coherent and consistent experience rather than the confused, messy and overcooked one we currently have.
Adding another variable on top of things would reinforce these issues. Maybe in the future once combat actually works properly it could be worth discussing, but as long as the core of the game doesn't work, I don't think it's wise to talk about adding new mechanics.

I just don't get having this customizable gimmick that actually impacts game mechanics but then giving us a rigid class system. They don't even mention it in the character screen that a taller character will be easier to hit but have a longer reach.

This has already been talked about a lot previously, but I feel it's needed to bring it up again, because of how disruptive it is to the combat experience.

In this clip, I'm at maximum height, while Vic is at minimum height. Because of that, I thrust my spear completely over his head while attempting to hit him. We were not testing for this at that point, but it prompted us to do so.

In this clip, Vic and I tested chatacter height and kicking distance. It's hard to tell whether or not height does affect kicking distance, but it would seem that it does, although only marginally. This clip is longer so you can see for yourself from different angles. I didn't want to upload only a short clip, since it's so hard to tell. You can come to your own conclusions with that one.

In this clip, Vic decided he'd had enough of the horrible testing conditions I've been putting him through, so I had to draft Brandis instead. We did the same test as in the previous clip, except this time with arming swords of the same length. I again was max height while Brandis was min height. There was a more noticeable difference this time around, although still smaller quite small.

Another aspect of height difference I've never seen talked about is how smaller characters tend to be blocked from view by your own character, especially if yours is tall. This makes it even harder than it already is (especially with the animation blending) to make sense of what your tiny opponent is doing.
I don't have much to say on this except that I hate it and please change it.

There is also the matter of shield coverage being affected by height. Since shield size doesn't scale with character height, smaller characters will get more coverage. This has been discussed before however and I don't feel like making a video of this and explaining why I hate it is necessary. Just know that I do.

I could go more indepth on why I think this should change, but this has already been discussed in the past and I would only be repeating what other people and myself have already said. I'm making this thread mostly so that Taleworlds doesn't forget that it's an issue and that it shouldn't be part of multiplayer.

Height is another variable that adds nothing to the mechanical value of the game, and only serves to make it less consistent.

Please fix.

Create a poll.

I kinda like height as a variable(at least visually), but it isn't working well at the moment. As said though, I think fixing movement, combat, and camera issues is critical before we can really discuss the pros and cons of height or adding new concepts to justify keeping it as gameplay mechanic.

We need more variations. More difference on height. These differences will have pros and cons. Therefore we can fight aganist all height levels.

'cause there is no reasonable argument like "my blade cant reach the wall even though my other weapon, spear can"
Its related with pros and cons, balance.

I believe until if/when they get to a point that height has both working pros/cons - all players in multiplayer should be locked to one height. RPG multiplayer servers will be here and run by the community one day no doubt, but height/hitbox adjustments have no current place in multiplayer on official servers.

Back
Top Bottom