Heavily Bugged ver 1.011

Users who are viewing this thread

Given the issues that have plagued me since I bought Mount & Blade ver 1.011, I have decided this is $10 I am just going to have to write off. I have done everything I could to insure a stable client and game, but this last fail was too much. One of the quirks I discovered was that the game would not save over an existing file, nor would it save a game in a new slot if there was already a save file in existence, this forced me to have to delete the old save, or the save I was working on, and replace it with the latest, up to date save based on where my campaign was. This quirk has finally caused a total fail in the game. After having progressed quite far in my diligence playing the Sword of Damocles mod, after capturing 3 Khergate Kanit towns, one Swadian town, at least 5 or 6 castles, and numerous supporting villages, I went to save before the game did something screwy, well, it did something screwy during the save function. As per protocol, I deleted to old save, and went to create a new save in its place, at which point the game crashed completely. When I was able to restore the game, I discovered to my horror, there was no saved information left, which meant all the work I had done thus far was gone. So 90+ days worth of campaigning was gone, and thus so am I. I loved this game from before, but this instability in the game client is too much.

First, there are two different official 1.011 final patches, with the buggy one being prominently displayed as the official download.  The smaller one takes care of several bugs and crashes.

Second, many mods require more memory than the base game, and a computer running a lot of stuff in the background may not have enough available RAM.  If you expand your system memory beyond 2Gb, it won't help, because the old program only recognizes up to the 2Gb limit.  There are several free "Large Memory Block Aware" (or something like that) utilities that can search a program for the 2Gb memory allocation limits and change that to 3Gb or even 4Gb.  Since running one such utility on M&B and several other programs that had stability issues (Hearts of Iron 3, for example), the frequent crashes I had with the TLD and 1866 mods essentially vanished.  I've seen one or two crashes in the past 6 months, rather than 2-3 an hour.

Note the one major bug in Sword of Damocles, which you may not have encountered yet: if you build a University, it INCREASES your infamy, rather than decreasing it.  Build enough of them and you can't shed any infamy at all, and you actually accumulate it just by waiting.  Worse, the AI will eventually build them, so towns you capture later in the game will have them already built for your displeasure.  The author has not released the source code for the mod, and has basically vanished, so it's not fixable by anyone else.

Other than that, enjoy.  I'm still playing M&B and several of the mods for it, particularly the "1257 AD: Middle Europe" sub-mod for 1257.

Back
Top Bottom