HEAR YE, HEAR YE!

Users who are viewing this thread

I figured I'd post the latest here as well, so:

Mid-day update: My enclosure has arrived!

After many hours of fiddling and trying to access the HD through normal means, we can safely pronounce it highly corrupted. Problems with the CD-ROM -- either the optical drive or the IDE channel, probably the IDE channel -- have prevented me from doing things the easy way. On the enclosure, it wouldn't even recognise the drive with a drive letter; it just hung trying to load it.

So I went and got myself a drive recovery program which is now busily digging through the HD, finding many gigabytes of stuff via the amazing speed of USB. It's gonna be a long night . . .

Wish me luck, my friends.

Embattledly,
Winter

(Continued)

After three hours of the recovery program reading and rebuilding the directory structure, it's finally started recovering my files. Yay!

I'm getting chunks of Craftmod right now, and everything looks to be going well (touch wood). Once the recovery is done, I'll try putting it back into the laptop and using the recovery partition, but I'm not holding out much hope for it. Possibly the whole IDE channel is ****ed. I hope this is not the case, though -- the problem may just be that the HD in my model laptop is hooked up to the same IDE channel as the optical drive.

My replacement machine is finally up and running and fully installed, so I will be rejoining the ranks of the electronically-enabled as well as the noble order of M&B modders. Thanks again to everyone who's helped me in this difficult period -- I'll leave the donation link up for anyone who wants to support Storymod and Craftmod development into the future. I'm going to be paying for the new machine for a while, unfortunately.

Anyway. No guarantee that the recovery process will bring everything back flawlessly, but . . . I'm back, you lot! Be afraid! :wink:

Triumphantly,
Winter

Back
Top Bottom