Headset

Users who are viewing this thread

SkyTime

Grandmaster Knight
Alright, so my Fatality Mk II is soon giving up, considering how even glue fails to hold this plastic together. I need a new headset, and I've been looking at a couple of Razer's sets and I have no clue what to get. Money is not a problem, but I don't want to waste my money for too little gain, so I need some help and considering this forum is a second, third or fourth life to me, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Razer Blackshark Battlefield 3 edition

Razer Tiamat 7.1

Razer Megalodon

I haven't looked at many others yet, but I'd need either 5.1 or 7.1. I suppose they're both very good, but are there any noticeable pro's and con's when you compare those two types? Are there any other things I have to consider before buying something that isn't only stereo audio? Do they work on my system without any soundcards, except the integrated one on my mobo, and if I need to buy a soundcard, what do I need to consider before purchasing one.

Do you have any favoured headsets or headset & soundcard combinations?

By all means, tell me everything if you want to help me out, all information is appreciated.

I haven't meddled around with audio related things so my knowledge is very, very limited.
Thank you in advance.

So that applies to most of their products? I'm currently reading something in google, about some angry SC II player whose Razer items ****ed him over.

What would you recommend over Razer then? I know, like everything but what would be a part of the "best"?

Several of my friends have had trouble with USB headsets, that they haven't worked correctly. I've also been told that I could use a soundcard.

Could you suggest any good soundcards?

Alright, I did some research and came to the conclusion that USB headsets won't do it, I'll get something with 3.5 connectors and possibly a soundcard.

The Sennheiser PC350 seems a little bit expensive, about 170e from the first webstore I checked. Is there some older model you could recommend?

Sushiman said:
A pair of Sennheiser PC350's, or a Logitech G35.

If it is for purely gaming I would recommend the pc350's, for music their pc360 is better due to their open cup design but you can also mod the 350's to do the same thing. I have never used the G35 so can't really comment on that one (used both 350 and 360 though, currently using the 360).

There is also another headset I see a lot of recommendations from online but haven't tried it myself from beyerdynamic. Can't remember which model but they have a whole range of products, I can only remember that their earcups were blue but they have a lot like that.

SkyTime said:
The Sennheiser PC350 seems a little bit expensive, about 170e from the first webstore I checked. Is there some older model you could recommend?

There are a few new ones I believe out now but the only one I can remember that is under that is the pc150 or 151. I had the 160sk or something like that which was just a rebranded special edition one. They are pretty cheap now, my brother bought one on sale for $25 I think, they use to be $100.

I see, thanks for all the answers. Looks like I'm going to get a CM Storm Sirus - 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset with Asus Xonar DX/XD soundcard, PCI-E, Low-profile which is going to be about 170e total.

I checked some recommendations and a 7.1 soundcard was suggested to 5.1 systems, I suppose it's legit.

Any last opinions? I decided to go for the CM Storm Sirus one mainly because it can be used without a proper soundcard since it comes with a "soundcard" of its own, but I suppose that a real card is still better.
A big plus is that you can ditch the "card" that comes with the headset and just plug the 3.5 connectors in and use your own cards. Either of them has to work, if not, I'll probably die for the 170e.

Difference I found between my soundcard and not having one is pretty unsubstantial. For gaming you may notice it a bit but would notice a better headset probably more then you would for paying more just to have a soundcard.

I can do some neat things with my soundcard but I usually have a lot of options off or on auto just because I have no clue what a lot of them even do  :cool:

I have yet to try out a good 5.1 headset and for the past few years there haven't been any good ones that I have tried (used a friends steelseries ones and have tried a razer one). Not quite sure if they have changed them to be any better than a good 2.1 yet since most decent 2.1's will just have surround sound which works as well or better than the 5.1 without the extra weight of that 5.1 headset.

Hopefully it is good enough without one as the main reason to get a sound card before was to not use your system resources since it would lag you sometimes but now the hardware is good enough so that you can not worry about that and most onboard audio is 7.1 and fairly good. I hardly notice a difference with my soundcard and it was $150 and is probably still the best PC gaming one you can get (soundblaster titanium HD I think its called). Not to many companies are even making sound cards anymore and the ones that are make them for audiophiles mostly who would probably use them in a home theatre solution.

I've heard some very controversial things about soundcards and 5.1 & 7.1 headsets that much, so that I'm afraid of it all now.

Once I get the headset I'll update my experiences here, incase someone needs them.

E: Alright, so I've used this CM Sirus Storm headset which I got for 109e, for some time now and I absolutely love it. It works perfectly fine with the USB connectors eventhough I've heard only of bad experiences, and if that doesn't work, you get a 3.5mm connector with the headset. Also, leathered earplugs incase the default ones aren't satisfying.

Music is absolutely astonishing and gaming is so much better, atleast if you're used to some old stereo crap with rather bad sound quality. Eventhough these are a bit bulky, they're not too heavy and are pretty comfortable.
The microphone also changed my voice pretty much, nobody recognized me in Mumble so I suppose it could only be better from my old Fatality Mk II.

Totally worth the 109e in my opinion.

Necrape-o!

Hi. My headset is going down the ****ter. Any suggestions for a new headset? Either headphones and mic, or a combined headset. I will be looking to buying myself a higher end plebeian sound card in the future (ie not studio quality, but more along the line of low-end audiophile quality), so I want the headset, or well, headphones at the least, to be both as high quality as possible (for the price range), as well as sturdy (for the future!). Oh, and comfiness is a bonus.

I am hoping to get it for my birthday (19 days), so if you guys find any good deals going just now then post those too. I am hoping that the budget will be somewhere between £50-£100, though that will be fully dependent on my mother's budget (especially since I hope she gets me a mech. keyboard).

Let's give this another shot shall we? Seriously, big thanks to all of you who bother to help me  :razz:

Aight, in this very same thread I made a decision to go with the 5.1 CM Storm Sirus headset and can't say I'm disappointed. It's been like two years now and the microphone broke about two months after the warranty ended and I just didn't give a rats arse so I scavenged a dead headset with a working microphone, placed it on my table and dealt with it.

The microphone is ****ing horrible though, but I truly love the sound of this CM Storm and I doubt a microphone is really enough to upgrade, considering these were around 120-140 euros and I'm aiming on staying that price range. Recently I landed on some money though, and found out about Kingston's HyperX Cloud headset which seems to be a favorite of many and the price is pretty low as well so I did a bit of searching and thinking.

My main concern is switching from 5.1 to stereo, I'll probably cry if it's **** so I did consider adding a bit to the budget in order to go for a surround sound but most of them seem to be digital which doesn't appeal to me really. Secondly, I bumped into this Finnish site where they completely bash all these brands and call it overhyped bull**** with crap sound quality marketed to the grey masses. I don't want to be grey mass and I do like my sound quality  :mad: From what I read, my choices going by what they say are getting something completely out of my price range for really good sound quality and a microphone or buying a slightly cheaper headphone and a separate microphone, which sounds too big of a hassle really.

End rambling, TL;DR

I want to replace my CM Storm Sirus 5.1 (true 5.1 mind you) headset with most likely a Kingston HyperX Cloud stereoheadset, taking the baby steps into audiophilia, will I regret the switch down, so to say?
How about some of the headsets mentioned in this review by PCGamer http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-gaming-headsets/?page=1 ? For example the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega looked pretty neat but a bit pricey and got crushed at this Finnish site I mentioned. Completely out of the subject but what do you guys think of PCGamer? I've recently followed them a little in the hopes of interesting articles to read and I don't know how much salt to take their stuff with.

I did also take into consideration some (not all) of the headsets mentioned here years ago but the availability seems to be a little limited for me or then the price is still damn high. I didn't plan on using much more than 100 euros but hey, I'll make do if I spend more than that. Most importantly I guess would be that the headset's mainly for gaming but I do listen to music as well. I do all kinds of games. A good microphone is always a plus as well.

I'll do a bit more study on my options but if I decide to buy something I'll probably go for the HyperX Cloud due to their price mainly, it's like 80e for something that's been praised around a lot, by a streamer as well.

So many mixed feelings D:

E: Bit of an update, turns out I have a lot more money than I actually need so I can afford to spend a bit more on luxury. After looking around a little I'm falling towards a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX to get the most of out that thing. I'll need a microphone but those go around for practically nothing.

E: Yolo, ordered them and a 7e tablemicrophone.

E3: Microphone and headset just arrived, amp is still somewhere in Germany. I don't think I'm even going to need the amp to be honest, the sound is so good already but we'll see.
And holy **** is the cord annoying  :lol: Pff, minor things.

Sushiman said:
Logitech G35.
I just ordered me one of those yesterday, for the low low price of absolutely free  :cool:
It'll be here Friday, on the first day of spring break. Nice timing. Can't wait. Coincidently, literally right after I sat down at my desk after having ordered the headset, the pair that I am currently using broke right in half. It's like they knew  :ohdear:

I just bought these: http://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-KHX-H3CL/dp/B00JJNQG98

They are not 7.1 or USB, but the sound is crisp, build is very high quality, and the headset is comfortable. Mine came with a defective microphone, but they sent me out a new one in two days with a prepaid envelope for the broken one.

Yeah, those are said to be the best bang for your buck. A buddy bought them as well and his only complaint is that they're too hard on his head and I suppose that's what you get used to in time and it might go away in use.

Back
Top Bottom