He pulled up, asked for help, and then left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dudro

Knight at Arms
"Parents in Regina are warned to be on the lookout for a man in a white 4 door sedan.  He pulled up next to a child in a park and asked him to help him look for a lost pet.  When the child said no, the man drove away.  He has a light beard."

I JUST heard this on the radio, here in Saskatoon.  I laughed PRETTY hard.  I just-I don't know, I thought it was ridiculous that they'd say. that.  He pulled up and asked for help?  Now he's being looked for on the radio?  WTF?!  I do suppose that maybe sometimes, bad things can happen, but I just felt it was a tad ridiculous.  I imagine that this person was sitting at home, heard this, and burst into a harder laugh than my own.  Just thought I'd share.

Your naïveté is amusing.

Why in the world would a man with a vehicle ask a mere child (practically incontinent) to aid him in his great quest? Answer that question, and you will know why this raises such alarum.

Well, I understand that usually, it's not a thing people over say - 20 would do.  To ask a child younger than them for help.  It's just seems strange to me. 

"If you see a dog round here, can you tell me?"
"no."

Ah. You perceive the warning wrong.
Allowing the radio commentators the intelligence to not state the absurd situation you have perceived, it is most likely that the man asked the child to come with him in search of his pet, instead of keeping a look out for it. That is obviously suspect.

Lyze is right, but I'd like to point out there are a lot of innocent people who get called pedos or rapists or harassers for just looking at someone "wrong."

I know around here a lot of people give you a weird look if you kiss a little cousin on the cheek. ****ing ridiculous.

DameGreyWulf said:
Lyze is right, but I'd like to point out there are a lot of innocent people who get called pedos or rapists or harassers for just looking at someone "wrong."

I know around here a lot of people give you a weird look if you kiss a little cousin on the cheek. ****ing ridiculous.

I think some people have the right to do it depending on the way you kiss them. I don't mean whether or not you french em or anything, but just the way you do it in itself. Usually when I give one of my little cousins a kiss it involves me picking them up or giving them a rough little hug, and I don't get looks for that.

DameGreyWulf said:
I don't often pick up my cousins, but a good bye kiss with a hug doesn't warrant creeper, now does it?

If people are looking at you in weird ways for that, they need help. Then again, you could be yelling "COME HERE LITTLE BOY TOUCH MY BOOBIES" for all I know.

:lol:

I was merely giving an example though, as for how extreme sexual paranoia gets in some places. So, sometimes, a guy really just is asking a kid if he saw a dog. Not that this is clearly the case here, you can't tell that from a radio report, but it is a poorly reported one in accidentally making anyone who asks for help from the wrong person look like a rapist/pedo.

Yeah, the radio report was extremely brief, and I only THINK I'm quoting it accurately.

That someone asked if they saw a dog? I'd be more worried about a dog running loose and possibly eating my kid's cat/rabbit/whatever small animal.

If the kid said the person picked him/her out of a crowd of eight adults; only asked him/her, sure, that'd be cause for suspicion. If they asked to go with them or something, yeah, that too. But if they're just asking if my kid saw Sparky, then I'm not going to freak out.

If I were a father and my kid told me that, I'd freak. Parks usually have a decent amount of people around, and if this guy just asks that kid, then drives away and doesn't stop when the kid says no, it's kind of creepy. Plus, he did (apparently) ask the boy to go with him.

asked him to help him look for a lost pet.

The phrase implies the man wanted the boy to go with him.

It could also just mean he said "Keep an eye out for Sparky, tell me if you see him."

Like I said, if my kid were picked out of a crowd, alone, sure I'd be suspicious. Otherwise it's not alarming.

Wasn't much of a predator though, if he left after a "no". Not even promises of a reward? Tisk tisk. Amateur.

Maybe he realized after the kid said no that if anyone saw him they'd report him to the police for being a creep. If I made the mistake of asking a kid if he'd seen my dog, I'd break out in a cold sweat and look somewhere else fast as well. Even if you're not a pedo or kidnapper or murderer, your name is tainted once people think you just might be.

Then again, this sounds to me like a Stranger Danger alert is needed.

Back
Top Bottom